• If We Can Dream It...

Question A Couple of Questions about the Closed Sea World Ohio

First off, let me state that I have never been to SWO in any way, shape, or form. The only way I know of it is in mentioning and thru the wonderfull Live Local. It has been driving me insane and I really would like to know more about SWO.I have a few questions regarding where certain things were in the old park. Please explain as well as possible like I said, I barely know anything about the park.

Question #1: Where was the Killer Whale Stadium?
    Question #2: Did the park have a Wild Artic Simulator? If so, did the attraction also include an animal section? I've seen a building that looks like it could be WA but, it looks way smaller than the WA's in San Diego & Orlando.
    Question #3: When the park changed over to Six Flags, how much was closed/shuttered/majorly altered?
    Question #4: What were your thoughts on SWO?

That's all that I can think of right now. If I come up with more, I'll post them. Thanks for any answers.
    - Horizonsfan

• Banned User

Re: A Couple of Questions about the Closed Sea World Ohio

the new water park replaced the stadiums.... except the ski stadium i think.

I don't know if they had an animal exhibit, but they do have a simulator on that side of the park i thought.

six flags brought in animals for that side somewhat... cedar fair shuttered that side for a water park...

im going by memory so i might be wrong..

• If We Can Dream It...

Thanks Fig.

I knew about CF's dealings with the park. Just nothing else.

Any more info anyone???????
    - Horizonsfan

I've been every year pretty much since 1979. It'spretty simple: Sea World was a great park. Geauga Lake was a great park. In 3 years time SIx Flags completely ruined both of them. Cedar Fair bought the park dirt cheap and they are trying to turn it back into what it should be....a nice little regional park.

SF did massive damage when it was turned into SFO in 2000. They added a rediculous amount of stuff (4 new coasters, etc.) and tried to turn it into a park to compete with CP overnight. They did not have the staff, facilities, customer service, etc. to deal with crowds. It was a nightmare. Great new coasters....horrible experience. Damage done....for example: A large portion of their business was corporate parties/buyouts. By the next year they lost something like 80% of such business.

When they bought Sea World their thinking was this: "Last year SFO had 1.5 million guests, Sea world had 1.5 million guests. Busch wants to sell, so let's combine and we'll get 3 million guests!" THey were wrong. If memory serves correctly they got 1.7 million guests in 2001. FAR from doubling! All that with ANOTHER major new coaster!

By then it was too late. The park was sad in may ways from then until CF bought it. In the end all the damage was because of service.....not because of anything else. Throw some killer coasters on top of a pile of crap and you still have a crap. If I had more time I could tell you presonal horror stories about the experiences I had.

Cedar Fair has an uphill battle....they knew it going in and it will continue for a while.

Whew...that was a long post
    Last edited by Peabody; 12-23-2006 at 06:55 PM.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    First off, let me state that I have never been to SWO in any way, shape, or form. The only way I know of it is in mentioning and thru the wonderful Live Local. It has been driving me insane and I really would like to know more about SWO.I have a few questions regarding where certain things were in the old park. Please explain as well as possible like I said, I barely know anything about the park.

Question #1: Where was the Killer Whale Stadium?
    Question #2: Did the park have a Wild Arctic Simulator? If so, did the attraction also include an animal section? I've seen a building that looks like it could be WA but, it looks way smaller than the WA's in San Diego & Orlando.
    Question #3: When the park changed over to Six Flags, how much was closed/shuttered/majorly altered?
    Question #4: What were your thoughts on SWO?

That's all that I can think of right now. If I come up with more, I'll post them. Thanks for any answers.
    While I never got to visit "SeaWorld" in Ohio, I did get to visit Six Flags Worlds of Adventure before it was sold off to Cedar Fair. Geauga Lake used to be on the north end as an amusement park, and SeaWorld on the South side. Six Flags basically combined the two parks.

But first impression, as someone who was born and raised in San Diego and the original SeaWorld, the park was "RETRO"

Finding the Pearl Divers was a blast.

The Killer Whale stadium was small and located in the south end of the park, basically room for one, maybe two Killer Whales.

They had a simulator, but ran the first version, called Mission: Bermuda Triangle, which was JUST a simulator ride, in San Diego, you just exited thru the gift shop, and didn't see any "Animals"

I loved Worlds of Adventure, and specifically returned to it for a second day prior to leaving Ohio...

I think you will love this website!

http://midwave.vortexhost.com/
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Horizonsfan92: Everyone has given some great info so I won't blab on about all that, but I thought you might find this of interest:

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/se...uga%20Lake

That's an aerial before and after picture of Sea World and then Wildwater Kingdom. The stadiums are not in the photo, but both were demolished and a wave pool now sits almost exactly on top of the Otter and Sea Lion stadium.

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

One thing of note is that had Six Flags not bought Sea World, it would have likely shut down. Busch had been looking to unload the park for years because it was more trouble than it was worth. With a short season and brutal winters the park could never be a fraction as profitable as the other 3. All the animals need the same food and care during the winter, and with no money being brought in! And it's not like they were getting a rediculously large amount of summer guests to ofset the difference. I believe the other 3 parks are year round, right?

If Six Flags would have never gone nuts and tried to compete with Cedar Point they would likely still havethe park and it would be "ok". It's still better off in Cedar Fair ownership.....in tme it will be back to the fun, nice, little regional park it once was.

• If We Can Dream It...

Sea World San Antonio isn't open year-round.

As for the aerial photos, thanks for the site but, I had already seen those thanks to Live Local.
    - Horizonsfan

Interesting...thanks! But, it is still open through December (mostly on weekends) and re-opens in March. That's a substantially longer season than Ohio used to get. If memory serves me they only did memorial day through labor day, as did most amusement parks.

• Banned User

san Antonio has a huge fan base, and is profitable... while Ohio was small and i still don't know why the owners at the time built it... the other 3 made sense...

really, who knows what might have happened. as it was said... if bush didn't sell it... they would have run it and eventually shut it down and sold it later.

My understanding is that Ohio was profitable as well....it was open for quite some time! (I loved the place!) But....for the reasons I mentioned above, at some point it just wasn't worth running the place anymore. The effort/work, etc. was too much for the return.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I remember going there in 1987. I remember they had the pearl divers as I still have the pearl I got (had it set into a ring). And I remember being able to feed/pet dolphins and whales. I remember just throwing my cup of fish into the tank because I didn't want to touch them. LOL! I did pet the dolphins though and I remember commenting "They feel like a half deflated rubber ball!"

One of the principal reasons that Busch sold Seaworld of Ohio was that they were facing having to do some very extensive (and expensive) facility ugrades mandated by the Federal government. In a nut shell after crunching the numbers it was found that they couldn't recoup the expenses with the limited operating season.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and went to SeaWorld in Aurora, Ohio, many times. Many more, times, in fact, than I visted Cedar Point. I remember going the first week or so it was opened -- you couldn't even buy a postcard yet! I feel that the Pittsburgh area was blessed to have that caliber of a park that close.

I heard some discussion on the close of the park, and, in addition to Dutchman's point about massive regulatory changes requiring unbelievable amounts of rework, the park was sold just as Busch was getting ready to open Discovery Cove. The sale of the Ohio property let them open the new park almost debt free.

The Ohio park was too small to have bears or a Wild Arctic. I do not remember the Bermuda Triangle simulator, but that could have been during one of the periods when I was living out of the area. I do remember a dinosaur exhibit they brought in a few times, though, with animatronic dinosaurs set up in sort of a Jurassic Park looking environment -- just a walk-through, but great fun.