• Sock Puppet

Knott's character disappearing?

I was going through an old issue of 'The E Ticket' magazine and it had a couple articles on Knott's of old. It brought back some fond memories of this park (I am 35 years old). I remember the San Fransisco style cable cars that ran through the front parking lot, the little "free" park across Beach Blvd (where Knott's big parking lot is now) that had the little train, merry-go-round, mule rides and the fantastic 'Jungle Island'!

Knott's was a different type of park as Disneyland, but it had a special character back then. Now that Cedar Fair has bought the park, I see more and more of the character than made Knott's special disappearing. Ghost Town, which I always found facinating as a kid (and always liked better than Disneyland's Frontierland) now has giant metal rollercoasters looming overhead. Kingdom of the Dinos is gone and the theme of 'The Roaring 20's' is pretty much gone too. The 'boardwalk' could be any carnival USA. Knott's is become a generic park that could be found over and over in any state in America. Too bad. I miss the old place.

Justin

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Coming from a huge Disney Fan Family, I never spent much time at Knott's. But when I lived in SoCal I'd go every so often (I used to get in free on my birthday... it was great!). Knott's never was, and never could be, Disneyland. But it definitely had it's own character and personality, and I really enjoyed that. The gentrification (is that the right word, anybody? :confused: ) of the theme park world is sad and depressing. This is exactly why I believe that Disney should never become a company focused on thrill rides. Themes, atmosphere, environments, these are all what make quality Disney attractions, not the scare factor.

(BTW, I'm not against thrill rides. I just don't believe in thrill rides for the sake of thrill rides. Disney has really pushed the limits, IMHO, with Tower of Terror. It's a great ride, but the theme is nothing more than a set-up for the thrill. It's nothing more than a glorified Maliboomer. But I'm completely off topic... :o )
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• That's Hawt

I have to completely agree with you. Now, don't get me wrong, I love rollercoasters as much as the next guy but if I want no charm and just coasters I go to Six Flags, not Knotts. I used to love going to Knotts and just playing around in Ghost Town but now that there is people screaming overhead, not so much. I think that they got rid of one of their best rides, the Wacky Soapbox Racers. Sure, that ride wasn't much but it was a hell of a lot better than what replaced it, and what replaced the replacement! (WSBR ---> Windjammer ---> Perilous Plunge) I miss the old Knotts.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I totally agree. I miss the charm of the Knott's that was around when I was a kid. Beary Tales, Soapcar racers, the Ghost Town area sigh

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, look at Paradise Pier. Has Disney really done that much better the last 10 years? :confused:

• Be-Bop Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    Well, look at Paradise Pier. Has Disney really done that much better the last 10 years? :confused:
    Two words: Paul Pressler.
    Avenue Q

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    I have to completely agree with you. Now, don't get me wrong, I love rollercoasters as much as the next guy but if I want no charm and just coasters I go to Six Flags, not Knotts. I used to love going to Knotts and just playing around in Ghost Town but now that there is people screaming overhead, not so much. I think that they got rid of one of their best rides, the Wacky Soapbox Racers. Sure, that ride wasn't much but it was a hell of a lot better than what replaced it, and what replaced the replacement! (WSBR ---> Windjammer ---> Perilous Plunge) I miss the old Knotts.
    Actually, Xcelerator is the current replacement for WSBR. Perilous Plunge replaced the dolphin show.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    The gentrification (is that the right word, anybody? :confused: ) of the theme park world is sad and depressing.
    The word I would use is slum (slumification?). IIRC, gentrification is when a slum is restored to its former glory.

• Be-Bop Bear

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    The word I would use is slum (slumification?). IIRC, gentrification is when a slum is restored to its former glory.
    Ahhh. I stand corrected. Actually, I sit... never mind...

Thanks fkurucz.
    Avenue Q

• What have I done?

Hey guys we should all send them an email letting them know what we feel. After all they are Amaerica's theme park, so they should listen to what America wants, right?
    __________________________________________________ ________

Knott's Berry Farm
    8039 Beach Boulevard
    Buena Park, CA 90620
    (714) 220-5200

Guest Relations:
    [email protected] (714) 220-5200

Cedar Fair, L.P. Mission Statement:
    Cedar Fair, L.P., is dedicated to providing our guests with world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment, guided by the principles of safety, service, courtesy, cleanliness and integrity.

Guest Relations:
    Great guest service is one of our highest priorities throughout Knott’s Southern California Resort. Let us answer your questions and provide you with all the information you need to make your day a memorable one.

"This guy!"