Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

PKI: Son Of Beast ride de-looped

Because of lawsuits and such and the results of test done on the ride and it's structure, they have removed the loop from the ride. They removed the loop for saftey, althought they were not required to remove it.
    They said that this way, they can use lighter cars and go back to lap bars instead of shoulder harnesses.
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/10703066/detail.html

Plus, rumor has it, there is a major thrill ride coming to the park, although it's doubtful it'll be ready for the 2007 season.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Re: PKI: Son Of Beast ride de-looped

The major thrill ride will be "X-FLight" moved over from Geauga lake. Nothing special if you ask me. (I'll take one ride on Tatsu over 1000 rides on X-flight)

But, SOB is going to be great. I've ridden right around 100 different wooden coasters and SOB would easily be in the bottom 10. But, if the rumors pan out with it now (custom built Millennium Flyer trains by Great Coasters International, and reworking/retracking by them) it could finally be a world class ride. By the way, it does not have, nor has it over had over the shoulder restraints.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    The major thrill ride will be "X-FLight" moved over from Geauga lake. Nothing special if you ask me. (I'll take one ride on Tatsu over 1000 rides on X-flight)
    Lol. I'm not even that picky. The Flying Dutchmen coasters are great but I'll take 1 B&M (anyone of them) over X-Flight/Stealth that crew.

Last time, I rode Son Of Beas last year, it was very ruff on me. The car jumped a little and my whole body was in pain after it. Hopefully it will be alot more comfortable ride now, but I will miss the loop though.

Kings Island is suppose to make the big annoucement for the new big attraction pretty soon. I heard it was around January 26 or 28, that they would say something.

P.S.

Did anyone see the new Kings Island logo without Paramount on it? It looks the classic Kings Island logo from the Great American days with a little touch of Cedar Fair.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

There's no way that SoB is being retracked by GCI, and GCI will not sell Millennium Flyers for use on non-GCI designed coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    There's no way that SoB is being retracked by GCI, and GCI will not sell Millennium Flyers for use on non-GCI designed coasters.
    Sorry, not quite. There's no reason they couldn't retrack/rebuild it. From their website: "In addition to support for our own designs, GCII will even service and repair coasters from other ride manufacturers as well." "Track repair and maintenance, Structural repair and maintenance, Safety and braking systems, Train maintenance and parts, Inspections and consultations"

About the trains....that used to be their choice (word was due to liability issues they didn't want to deal with using their special trains someone else's coaster)
    But, apparently they were singing a new song at this year's IAAPA show. It would seem for the right price that's no longer the case (with their terms)
    Last edited by Peabody; 01-09-2007 at 05:22 PM.

i've seen SOB's trains and they looks weird. Aren't they ? Are they Confortable like PCI's one .

B&M's Wooden trains on Psyclone at SFMM sucks i heard my back on those trains .
    HKDL : Done !!!

The Premier trains SOB had were beyond awful, and the root of most of the rides problems. (I'll spare the lengthy details)

Interesting note: THe reason Premier built the trains was as a setlement for the lawsuit Paramount parks filed over both Flight of Fear coasters in 1996. (Silly me, if I sued over a ride that had numerous problems and beat people senseless, I sure wouldn't accept their help on a new ride as a settlement!)

To make things worse the SOB trains were modified after the 1st season which resulted in an even more uncomfortable ride.

If all the current rumblings about GCI pan out we will be in for a real treat! They make the ultimate trains, and make PTCs look like junk and feel like junk

Sorry, I was hopped up on cold medication when I posted about GCI and SoB.

I meant to say "I can't see Mike Boodley and crew working on SoB, after hearing what they thought of it when it was first built."

I still don't see putting Millennium Flyer trains on SoB, either. That's kind of like putting Ferrari rims on a Ford Focus.

It would be nicer to see GCI work on Beast, and taer down SoB...

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

What a total bummer. I was so interesterd in riding the SOB with the loop
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    What a total bummer. I was so interesterd in riding the SOB with the loop
    Yeah, the only good parts of that ride were the loop and the exit stairs...

Sure the loop was great, but I'd rather have a good ride with no loop than a horrible ride with a great loop.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    By the way, it does not have, nor has it over had over the shoulder restraints.
    Actually, it did for a short amount of time recently in this past season. I live 15 minutes from the park and have a season pass. There is nothing better to do in this area, so i'm there walking around all the time in the summer.
    I haven't seen the new PKI logo as of yet (i'll have to drive by there sometime soon and also check out the Great Wolf Lodge that recently opened), but i'm just interested in what changes are coming to the park. I'm sad that they got rid of the gold pass and it's perks.
    I'm glad they are re-doing SOB, that sucker hurt every time I went on it and it was so loud, you could hear it on the other side of the park.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Go to the offical site, you can see the new logo.

Here it is, http://www1.paramountparks.com/kings...eason_pass.cfm

It is on the season passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    Actually, it did for a short amount of time recently in this past season.
    I'm sorry, but that's not possible. I went several times last year and it was the same old trains. It's not possible for them to just "put on" or "take off" shoulder restraints for a short period of time. The trains are not built to have them, and would need serious rebuilding and re-engineering....something that's not fast, or cheap. I'm afraid you must be mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast