Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• ...or just Tonny

Re: Best non Disney, Disney style rides (dark rides etc)

Quote Originally Posted by SexkittenGwen View Post
    thank you for the heads up about europe parks, ill be there from feb 24-march 12...I heard De Efteling is only 30 mins away from paris , so its in my list of things to do =)
    Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news then. It's more 4 hours than 30 minutes, which doesn't matter as it's definitely worth it - but the park is closed for the winter until april 1st
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

aww nuts =( i hope disney paris is still open , as thats one of the main reasons why i am going
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    The only other place I've seen compete is Universal.

As for rides they have some great ones. I actually like Jaws better than Jungle Cruise although the Jungle Cruise is awesome as well. Men In Black is a better attraction than Buzz. And ET is probably one of my all time favorite dark rides. I don't know if we can consider the Mummy a dark ride even though it has dark ride portions but its one of my favorite rides of all time.

So most of the rides at Universal or IOA could be there although not all of them.
    I've only been to universal Hollywood and haven't been there (or to any theme park) since the late 90s but I always was a fan of ET--kinda a more elaborate Peter Pan's Flight. I couldn't believe when I foudn out recentlythat it had been closed (I found out pretty recently). Wasn't it still popular? i knwo the park has little room but I woulda thought they coulda kept it and built elsewhere for Mummy. Or did they move it to Japan or something like that--otherwise it seems like a huge waste--*usually* when rides are closed I may not like it but I realize why they are (ie DL's Submarines) but in this case it didn't seem outa date, out of popularity or any of the usual reasons

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Check Busch Gardens Europe as they have some great ones such as Curse of Darkastle although its not a traditional dark ride with animatronics.
    Actually these kinds of rides are still more popular it seems in Europe and Asia--most parks at least sitll have an old school spook house unlike many American parks.

Isn't there a park in Holland very much known for its fantasy dark rides? and maybe one in Italy

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMTFan View Post
    The best traditional dark ride I've been on is the "Haunted Mansion" at Knoebels.. Wow, they really went all out on this one and it features a ton of great classic effects.

One dark ride that looks AMAZING is "Challenge of Tutankhamon" at Walibi Belgium. Its by Sally and uses fire, animatronics, special effects and trackless cars. Due to that, if you have a good enough score... you have 2 bonus rooms. Here's a link to a video: http://www.sallycorp.com/Video/Tut_Tour.htm

Europe got a ton of unbelievable dark rides. Efteling with "Dreamflight", which features a track system like Peter Pan's Flight and "Fata Morgana", which uses boats like Small World/POTC. Animatronics? Fata Morgana got 130 and the park even went as far as separating each room with curtains, doors, smoke, etc. http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co...rgana_main.htm
    Nice to see a Mtrl here.

Right Efteling was the park I was thinking of--I'll have to find out more about them.

That Tutankhamon looks really impressive too--I always sorta look down on Sally Corps (though they're fun) but didn't knwo before that website that they did things like many of the creatures for ET Adventure. I have to say I'm getting a bit tired of the shooter Dark Rides--partly as they seem to be the only kind of dark ride at many parks and I think the target thing can often take away from paying attention to the story and experience.

E

• Vehicle rotating backward

Do extinct rides count?

Knott's Beary Tales

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by EricMontreal22 View Post
    What are everyone's fave examples of rides that are so good (in a Disney style way) you could see them feasibly being in a Disney park? I mean in terms of theming, "story" or experience, animated figures (AAs) etc...
    My favorite picks outside of Disney for immersive theming.
    • #1- Star Trek: The Experience. This includes Klingon Encounter and Borg 4D. The attractions themselves, and theming is incredible.
    • #2- The Amazing Spiderman at Islands of Adventure. Quite possibly worth the price of admission itself, it tops even Indy.
    • Honorable Mention: Men in Black Attack. Great ride on par with Buzz, but has a superior queue and setup.
    • The Cat in the Hat- notable in that it is setup like a classic Disney dark ride, a brighter brother to Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin.
    Many of Universal Studio's other rides end up right below. So there are some out there, just not much.

Yeah I mentioned Knott's Beary Tales though I only saw bits of it when the figures were put in to the Camp Snoopy funhouse. I saw Kingdom of the Dinosaurs (when it still had the extinct part) and I liked it mroe than most but it wasn't Disney quality (I do think the old Mine Train and Log Ride at Knotts are classics though that in my mind are up there with some Disney classics)

The more I read about Efteling the more I wanna go--looks like it has a LOT of dark rides.

Nemesis at Alton Towers doesn't seem that Disney liek to me (unless you compare it to the lightly themed Indie rollercoaster in Paris) but doesn't Tussaud's in london have a dark ride tour of London? that always sounded neat

• ...or just Tonny

Nemesis at Alton Towers doesn't seem that Disney liek to me (unless you compare it to the lightly themed Indie rollercoaster in Paris) but doesn't Tussaud's in london have a dark ride tour of London? that always sounded neat
    Well, like I said there's not much theming material-wise, but it's pretty much the most story-intensive ride outside of Disney. And with Paris' original Space Mt gone, I believe it might be as story-intensive as any Disney coaster. It definitely equals in the creation of the atmosphere - greatly done. It's *not* just a coaster.

The London ride you mention, do you perhaps mean the darkride that is part of Madame Tussauds and is about London's history? That's quite fun. Or do you mean the London Dungeon - which is really cool but more like a couple of theatre acts than an actual darkride.

The more I read about Efteling the more I wanna go--looks like it has a LOT of dark rides.
    A lot of darkrides? I wouldn't say so. Only 3, although this year's new ride will be partly dark ride so maybe 4. But other than that, there's an enclosed coaster, a haunted house kinda "show" thing, a mad house etc.
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

Yep I meant the Wax Museum dark ride--not the dungeons.

As for Towers--I guess I meant that nearly all Disney coasters, save Indie (and it's cousin at Disney Sea) hide the actual track and fact they're coasters etc. With animated scenes along your travels, or effects--from readin gabout Nemesis I didn't see any of that

Ah I guess I thought the Haunted Mansion at Efteling was a dark ride. There's also some Carnival one that looks Small World-ish, and the Fairy Tale displays while nto dark rides do seem pretty early Disney-ish (Storybookland etc) but you're right

Blog Entries

You didn't read the whole of my post, did you?
    Actually, I did but.....

What were you saying again? lol

I did read your post but somehow the last line just didn't sink in. I guess I was too focused on the beginning part of it. Sorry about that.

As for the comment from another poster on ET, I agree. I can't believe they removed that from the park in Hollywood. It's seriously my second favorite ride in all of the Universal Orlando resort behind Jaws and probably tied with the Mummy. I ride it every time In in the park. I just wish they would fix the awful cop animatronics. Other than that, when all the effects are working its perfection. If it ever gets closed in Orlando I may just not be able to visit for a while.

• ...or just Tonny

As for Towers--I guess I meant that nearly all Disney coasters, save Indie (and it's cousin at Disney Sea) hide the actual track and fact they're coasters etc. With animated scenes along your travels, or effects--from readin gabout Nemesis I didn't see any of that
    Actually, Nemesis track is supposed to be alien monster's tentacles. Of course it's rather obvious that it is actually roller coaster track, but with some artistic freedom in mind, they hid the track "in the story".

Ah I guess I thought the Haunted Mansion at Efteling was a dark ride. There's also some Carnival one that looks Small World-ish, and the Fairy Tale displays while nto dark rides do seem pretty early Disney-ish (Storybookland etc) but you're right
    Carnaval Festival is the ride you mean. It's nowhere near as good as Small World, but it's fun. And believe it or not, the theme tune is even more annoying

The Fairy Tale Forest is absolutely stunning yes. Like you said, not a darkride at all, but some of the show they have there as a display of the fairy tales - amazing. Bummer, I miss De Efteling, I wish it was spring again
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

Found an interesting link and video for the award winning refurb, last year, of Germany's Movie Park's old Looney Tunes dark ride into a big Ice Age themed dark ride--loosk pretty good!

http://www.thinkwelldesign.com/what_...ns_iceage.html#

Back when it was a Warner Bros Movie park they had a Gremlins ride (http://www.leechvideo.com/video/view1150007.html is some footage--kidna cheasy but I'd love to hear more abotu this--sounds like a fun idea)
    Last edited by EricMontreal22; 01-31-2007 at 02:59 AM.

Here in Colorado (Denver) we have some very unique dark rides. Highland Hills WaterWorld boasts the first--if not only--dark waterpark rides in America. There are two noteable ones: Lost River of the Pharoahs, and Voyage to the Center of the Earth. the former is fairly obvious: riders get on a four person intertube and float amongst set pieces of egyptian scenes with AA mummies, etc., the latter is another intertube ride amongst AA Dinosaurs that lunge towards the riders. Neither is quite as good as Disney--WaterWorld is an independent park without the cash behind the franchises, but both have a lot of work put into them, with backstories and all, and get considerable marks for uniqueness. They're also the only dark rides within at least 500 or so miles of Colorado.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

Brilliant site with pictures and videos from Europe--here's stuff for every ride at Efteling--I wanna visit this park!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast