Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Best non Disney, Disney style rides (dark rides etc)

spiderman at ioa..
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Spidey definetly proves that if you invest enough money you can make a truly groundbreaking ride

• Koubu Pilot

I vaguely remember Knott's Beary Tales, but I still remember Kingdom of the Dinosaurs at Knott's Berry Farm. Too bad even the dinos are gone....Calico Mine Train and the log ride are great attractions.

I remember here in Arizona, Old Tucson Studios had a haunted mine type attraction that was a black light lover's dream!

When MGM Grand used to have a theme park, they also had a haunted mine kind of attraction that wasn't too bad. They also had a combo dark ride/motion simulator that was really good as well as a raft ride.

Las Vegas Hilton has the Star Trek Experience. Star Trek fans will love the queue they call a museum since you can view props and costumes. The two attractions in there are well themed.

• Banned User

Spidermand at IOA and USJ, and Star Trek Experience in Vegas are about the only non-Disney rides I would call "disney-worthy".

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

This is not a dark ride, but it is something as rare, a night time daily firework show that is nearly Disney quality: The Texas Spectacular at Six Flags (gasp!) Fiesta Texas. The park is situated in an abandoned quarry, and as such has spectacular vertical sandstone cliffs. Not only do they drape coasters off these clips, but they have a section big enough with no clutter to put giant projections on it for the firework show. The result is a show that showcases the history of Texas set to fireworks and music (sound familar.) I couldnt believe my eyes the first time I saw this show at a Six Flags no less, but Fiesta Texas is by far the best park in the chain, its clean, well themed, and the employees are nice. Now if it only wouldnt get so darn hot every summer...

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    Hershey's Chocolate World in Hershey PA, when you go through the "tour" it's actually a dark ride. You sit in a hershey kiss and you go through a mock up of the factory. It smells really, really good.
    Bob Baranick rocks!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by EricMontreal22 View Post
    Spidey definetly proves that if you invest enough money you can make a truly groundbreaking ride
    Which of course Uncle Mikey refused to do, when the technology was first offered to Disney.

WDI wanted to create a James Bond attraction with the Spidey ride system for Disney/MGM. But Mikey deemed it "too expensive." So Uni grabbed it for IoA. What we got instead was Mission: Spaced Out, at twice the cost of what the James Bond attraction would have been, with one-fifth the immersion and repeatability.

Here's hoping the Harry Potter/Kuka robocoaster attraction rumor for IoA's Lost Continent pans out.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

as a side note there actually was a James bone ride at kings island, it was the same type of ride as shrek 4D
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Neep meep beep

There's the Spirit of London at Madame Tussaud's London - very similar omnimover system to the Haunted Mansion, but it takes you through 1000 years or so of the history of London...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I just watched the video of the Gremlin ride... different. WTF was Alf doing there though? He looked out of place.

That Ice Age ride looks quite nifty too.

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Yeah, I, too, just got the biggest WTF face from ALF being in that video of the Gremlins ride, as well...what in the world does ALF have to do with Gremlins?! XDDD Random much? (unless gremlins actually come from Melmac, as well...) That's awesome, though. Seconded about the Ice Age ride...with the success of the films, it's surprising they haven't brought it here, as well.

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    Hershey's Chocolate World in Hershey PA, when you go through the "tour" it's actually a dark ride. You sit in a hershey kiss and you go through a mock up of the factory. It smells really, really good.
    As someone that lives minutes away from this one I have to say it isn't that bad depending on what version you are refuring to. The current incarnation is kind of cute. The Haunted Mansion at Funland in Rehoboth Beach De also The Haunted Mansion at Knoebles are both great. The one at Knoebels is the top raked dark ride 5 years running by Dark Ride and Funhouse Enthusiasts org. http://www.DAFE.org .
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234