Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SFMM removing 2 coasters

In what I see as a fairly positive move, it would appear that SFMM is removing Psyclone and flashback. The park's website now refers to having "15 world-class rollercoasters" instead of 17, and those 2 coaster's pages have been deleted.

Flashback hasn't run in years (and was painfully bad when I rode it 15years ago in Georgia!),and Psyclone is one of the sorriest wood coasters in the country. (Psyclone never runs when I'm there either.)

Maybe new SF management realizes in their pursuit to make the chain family friendly that the "most coasters in the world" approach does the place no good....especially when you've never once had all of your coasters operate on the same day! (This June when I went 12 out of 17 were running.)

I hope this is a step in the right direction for them.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Re: Semi-confirmed - SFMM removing 2 coasters

I dont think you cant pull off being a family park and going for the most coasters, it certainly works for Cedar Point in Ohio. The problem with Magic Mountain is that they went for quanity instead of quality and tore up other rides to fit the coasters in. Coasters may be the king of the amusment park but just having a king does not a kingdom make, you need other rides for people who dont like coasters and as a change of pace even for the ones that do. This is definatly a good move for them, and heres hoping a lot of flats and maybe even a dark ride get put in their place.

Blog Entries

I think they need to sell off many of their coasters and focus on replacing them with some good family rides. Maybe reduce their roster to 9 coasters and then add 4-5 good family rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    I dont think you cant pull off being a family park and going for the most coasters, it certainly works for Cedar Point in Ohio.
    That's true, but despite both being coaster heavy parks, there's TONS of differences between the two that can account for CPs rather staggering long-term success vs. SFMM relative crappiness.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I think they need to sell off many of their coasters and focus on replacing them with some good family rides. Maybe reduce their roster to 9 coasters and then add 4-5 good family rides.
    While I agree with you, all the best family attractions in the world won't matter if you have seriously crappy operations or a dominant portion of non-family friendly clientele.

As I said in my original post, I think this is a positive move, but, there are bigger core issues to resolve if the place wants to become a quality, family-friendly park.

I hope someday the park becomes the world-class place it could potentially be.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Hmm according to the site there are 16 including a new Scream!

Not quite...in fact, I can't find what you just said... http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicm...des/index.html

"15 world class roller coasters"
    All pages and references to flashback and psyclone are deleted.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

As long as they never get rid of Goldrusher I'm happy. It's been there since day one! Or at least pretty darn close to day one, it's a classic!

I would also take out Free Fall and get rid of the extra fee rides. For Pete's Sake your parking fee is so out there you should get all the rides with the price of admission.

• insufferable know-it-all

Free fall's a classic though!

Better to remove Superman, since the darn thing's never working!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Free fall's a classic though!

Better to remove Superman, since the darn thing's never working!
    FreeFall's a first generation Intamin drop ride, that most parks have already removed, or have put up for sale.

Superman: The Escape has had a pretty good running record for a while now, if only one side at a time.

• curiouser and curiouser

as long as they don't get rid of ninja! i'm all about those swinging cars. way cooler than batman

You can remove the "semi" - Sue Carpenter (SFMM spokeswoman) has confirmed that Psyclone and Flashback are being dismantled.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    as long as they don't get rid of ninja! i'm all about those swinging cars. way cooler than batman
    Ninja has NEVER been operating everytime I've been there. How cool it looks and how it threads through the park taunting me like the PeopleMover.

I've been on Flashback and Psyclone, the park is losing nothing for closing them. They suck. Superman: The Escape is just plain boring and too loud for the rest of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Ninja has NEVER been operating everytime I've been there. How cool it looks and how it threads through the park taunting me like the PeopleMover.
    When have you been there? It's one of the few rides that's always been open when I've visited. If you visit during cold months, Ninja won't run when the temp is below 55 degrees - it has a nice tendency to valley in cold temps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast