Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

Calico Pack Mules
    Was behind mine ride. real donkeys.

SF Cable Car Ride

"Old mac donalds farm" petting zoo with the piano playing chicken
    The model train shop (a dime lets you run the toy train around the ceiling) and Archery Range..BIG LOSS

Oroweat Grist mill.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Incognito

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by horizons1
    I thought it was a Zamperla Crazy Bus - you know, a kiddie version of the "flying sofa".
    Nope, not according to my View Master reels of the park circa 1977 The mini flying sofa is in Camp Snoopy remember?

• Minion

Are you guys talking about Camp Bus?

And they had the Motorcycle Chase before the Soap Box Racers. Also, do they use the Bird Cage Theater for anything anymore? I was sad to see the Haunted Shack go. It was a Knott's classic. The attraction itself was OK, but that was a great maze at the Haunt.

• Minion

I believe the Bird Cage Theater was closed even before Cedar Fair took over. Maybe open once in a while but I don't think it was as I believe I never saw it open. But yes, I agree with you as the Haunted Shack was a great maze. That was the first and only maze I ever got truly scared in and ran out screaming.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Head-Ache
    Hammerhead
    Wind Jammer

[QUOTE]melmel: These three are all still here, they are just renamed.

And they DID tear out the Chapel. They "relocated" it across the street by Independance Hall, but not really. They took the original steeple, windows, and pews and slapped it on a new building. Which wasn't the case for the real one, which was transported across the country to be located at Knott's.

Not to be a stickler or anything, Hammerhead was taken out to make way for a more advanced attraction called Riptide. Head-Ache made way fgor the Perilous Plunge, there is a similar ride there, but it's not the same. Wind Jamer was taken out like 5 years ago because there were so many problems with it, Xcelerator is in its space now.

I hate how Knott's has taken out so many classic attractions for new-aged things like Ghostrider, Screamin' Swing, Wind Jammer, Silver Bullet, Xcelerator, Hammerhead, La Revolucion. These are all great rides but they took away many classic attractions from Knott's.

Can anyone tell me what Greased Lightning and Whirlpool were?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Okay, so now i have:

Kingdom of the Dinosaurs
    Greased Lightning
    Knott's Bear-y Tales
    Wacky Soap Box Racers
    XK-1
    Head-Ache
    Hammerhead
    Sky Jump
    Corkscrew
    Wind Jammer
    Old Mcdonald's Farm
    Nu-Wave 3-D Theater
    Dolphin Pavillion
    Loop Trainer
    Pack Mules
    Edison Lights Show
    Gran Slammer
    Vertigo
    Tijuana Taxi
    Cycle Chase
    Tampico Tumbler
    Gasoline Alley
    Haunted Shack
    Original Pan for gold attraction
    Mexican Whip
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 09-11-2005 at 01:54 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Incognito

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Can anyone tell me what Greased Lightning and Whirlpool were?

Not sure about Greased Lighting but Whirlpool was just a Scrambler inside a building themed to fish and oceans. It was actually cool and the only Scrambler ride I'd go on because it was indoors, it was dark and themed pretty good. Any Scrambler ride (or spinny ride for that matter) makes me ill. I hate getting old

• Launch sequence engaged

After the Haunted Shack's removal, it was replaced by the upcharge thrill ride, Vertigo (by S&S). However, I think a cable snapped or a tower was knocked over by wind, and it was removed.

Now, there is an S&S Screamin' Swing which is also a low-capacity upcharge attraction. Rides cost $5.00 each.

It's a shame to see the Haunted Shack go. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue, I wouldn't be surprised if Mystery Lodge was next on the chopping block.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Not sure about Greased Lighting but Whirlpool was just a Scrambler inside a building themed to fish and oceans. It was actually cool and the only Scrambler ride I'd go on because it was indoors, it was dark and themed pretty good. Any Scrambler ride (or spinny ride for that matter) makes me ill. I hate getting old
    "Greased Lightning" was a round ride in a tent (where the cars ramped up and down in a circle) in the 1920's area originally named "The Whirlwind". the vehicles were changed into Clouds with lightning bolts on the sides as I recall. Wasn't one i went on that much.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Vehicle rotating backward

Motorcycle Chase could be compeltely forgotten about an I wouldn't mind a bit. Most frightening ride experience that I can remember, and not in any good sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
    I figured that they'd move the Chapel considering that it did hold sunday services each week.
    That probably would have quit under Cedar Fair eventually for political purposes anyway. Nothing suprising or shameful in that.

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    I believe they put a build-a-bear type establishment where the haunted shack used to be. FOR SHAME!!
    ACK!!!! Now that's terrible!

For a short while, there was the funhouse in the Camp Snoopy building that later housed the Knott's Bear-y Tales walk through, and don't forget the wooden animal park across the street. I guess those weren't really rides though. Also, does anyone know if the boat ride is still going around the lake since they put in Silver Bullet?

Closed Movie Theatre Attraction

I spent the 70s going to Knotts every summer. I love love loved Bear-y tales and the haunted shack. I am 5 months preggers and so sad I won't be able to show my kid the only unique, non-coaster crazed amusement park in So. Cal. (I love coasters - but Knott's was special - more on that right now)

Does anyone remember the following ride/attraction? No one seems to know what I'm talking about and I'm not even sure I ever knew the name of it.

One summer, I happened upon a ride near the front of the park. It was a white building, could have been a semi-circle if memory serves. Inside, people stood or sat on the floor on one side of a gate and they showed movies of roller coasters on a big screen which made you feel like you were riding all of the best coasters in the world. There was never a line to get in and I felt like I'd won the ride jackpot! I couldn't believe how real it felt and I used to want to just go into the nice, air conditioned building the whole time and ride a bunch of roller coasters every time I went.

I'm sure if the great old stuff was demolished, this one is long gone. I'd love it if someone could tell me it was real!!!

• Minion

I thought at first if might be the Birdcage Theater but I don't think that's right. I looked at my friend's website dedicated to Knotts of the past and present and couldn't find anything.

Sorry, I tried.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Does ELVIRA Mistress of the Dark count?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast