Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• In a Rocket Rods daze @_@

Re: Knott's Berry Farm closed Attractions

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Actually Rocketrods90, KOTD did close a couple of months ago. It was shown on Screamscape and many other sites that they have already closed it down.
    Really? Well, I haven't been to Knott's since last October. If that is true, then yes!!! They should have gotten rid of it years ago! Yes!
    Rocket Rods--Ride The Road To Tomorrow

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRods90
    Really? Well, I haven't been to Knott's since last October. If that is true, then yes!!! They should have gotten rid of it years ago! Yes!
    Except for now it is just a big empty building. Sound familiar?

• In a Rocket Rods daze @_@

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    Oh well. Love Disney better! j/k
    Rocket Rods--Ride The Road To Tomorrow

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    Yeah, just like the Pirate ride at Cedar Point...

• Where Schemes Come True!

I loved the Soap Box Racers...my heart sank when i realized it was gone only to be replaced by something else I could care less about...

• Puppy Cuddles

Elvira will not come back to Knott's because they will not allow her to bring her drag queens. Got that from Cassandra Fever, one of the best of them.

I miss Beary-Tales soo much. We snuck into whatever Peanuts thing they have there now and I was so disappointed.

And as far as I'm concerned good riddance to Wind Jammer because, dear lord that thing was rough! Talk about headache town!
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Sock Puppet

Everybody seems to forget that Knott's lost almost HALF of what they had to offer back in the early 80's I believe. Way back when, on the southside of Beach Blvd, where the main parking lot is now, there was a whole other park. It was an extention of Knott's, that did not charge admission. I remember this area fondly as a child because I would go to Knott's once or twice a month with my grandparents to meet other family members at the Chicken Dinner Place on Sundays.

The otherside of the park contained a carrousel, mini-train, a small lake with a mini-paddle wheel boat, and benches to feed ducks. This was the area that also had the burro ride. And the best part of this area was JUNGLE ISLAND! This place rocked when I was a little kid. It was a sort of weird Tom Sawyer Island type place, just east of Independance hall. It has been changed now and is a picnic area but you can still see a small "moat" (for the lack of a better word) that is still there. Back then you cross the water on a covered bridge, payed a cheap admission, and go play on the Island. There were lots of 'peek ins', that showed the island's inhabatants - animal like creaters made from bamboo and tree limbs.

Also back then, Independance Hall was not a free walk through like it is now. You paid a ticket and tour groups would gather at the red colonial house like building, which still stands to the north east of the Hall today. I remember hearing about how Mr. Knott wanted it to be so exact, that every brick was hand made, like in the 1700s. The encouraged you to look for the finger prints in the bricks. Tours would depart, enter the Hall, hear about the Bell, then sit in on the audio show that they have now. Seems to me it was long then. Of course I was only about 8 or 9 and I am amazed I remember as much as I do.

The rides on this side of the park were owned by Bud Hurlbut, who worked with Mr. Knott on The Calico Mine Ride and The Timber Mountain Log Ride. Bud packed up his "toys" sometime in the early 80s and moved the carrousel and mini-train to own amusement park in Riverside, CA (where I live). They both stand today at Castle Park, off the 91 freeway. If you check out the Spring 2001 'E Ticket Magazine', there is an article about Bud and his work with Mr. Knott and experience with Walt Disney. The mini-paddle wheel boat is still at Knott's...in that tiny lake in Camp Snoopy.

As someone else pointed out, back then Knott's didn't have a parking lot tram...they had San Francisco Cable Cars running through the front lot. Knott's was really a special place back then (childhood memories). With the exception of Halloween Haunt, I have no desire to go to Knott's anymore. It is hard to call it a theme park with all the open air iron rides. Silver Bullet thundering over Ghost Town just doesn't do it for me.

San Soo Justin

www.hikarate.1hwy.com

you're making me cry, SSJ...that is all the stuff that I remember about Knotts...and to me it just seems like a shell of it's older self. I understand that things have to change so that progress can be made but when you rip the heart and soul out of the park how can you assume that people won't notice?
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• Functional & Decorative

I remember Jungle Island too... loved it! For a while, a lot of it's wooden figures went to the Camp Snoopy area, but now they are gone from there, too.

For a time, many of the Knott's Berry Tales figures had gone into the funhouse in Camp Snoopy, but if I'm not mistaken, now it's Snoopy figures. Although I have not been able to verify this... last time I tried to go in the funhouse (a number of years ago), I was turned down, because I didn't have a child with me. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Ah, the old Fiesta Village rides. The Fiesta Wheel was an old Trabant... sort of like what Wipeout is now, only in one direction only. The Tumbler was a flat ride called the Fireball. It was very hard to find, although I believe the Camp Snoopy in Minnesota still has theirs. I loved it, but can imagine it was a maintence nightmare...

Almost forgot about Gasoline Alley... another jalopy-car ride (a'la Autopia) that weaved under Soapbox Racers...

Greased Lightening was initially a Hymalia, then was changed to a Flying Bobs-type ride...

Head-Ache is/was indeed a Scrambler, first used inside a building as Whilrpool, now re-located in Rapids area the as the Wilderness Scambler.

Wind Jammer was a twin track steel coaster that went up when Soapbox was torn down. It didn't last long... it was so bad, Knott's actually sued the manufactures of the ride (Togo). Although I never found out how the suit went... anyone else know?

There also used to be a very short show. I think it was called Wagon Wheel something-or-rather? It was not a very good show. You stood (no seats) in front of a mural/diaorama, there was recorded narration about pioneers, and the lights on the mural dimmed to a night scene. End of show... total time, about 3 minutes. Anyone else remember this? Have I got it right? It was located in Ghost Town, near the front, where a shop is now.

I also still remember when the Charles Schultz theater was known as the Good Time Theater... those Peanuts have really taken over! Fortunately, I like Peanuts a lot, so it's okay.

Sorry, I don't happen to remember anything about that white building... but does anyone else remember the door to the Private Club beneath the Good Time Theater? Not a ride by any means, but just a quick in-joke. There was a door in a wall with a sign that read Private Club above it, with a doorbell next to it. If you rang the bell, a face would appear in a peephole in the door, shout "Go away. It's private!" and slam the peephole shut! That was it! Hi-larity! The door & bell are still there, but deactivated now... good times...
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Sock Puppet

Jestermn said "I also still remember when the Charles Schultz theater was known as the Good Time Theater... those Peanuts have really taken over! Fortunately, I like Peanuts a lot, so it's okay."

And before it was the Good Time Theater, it was the John Wayne Theater. But Knott had a falling out with Wayne over something to do with politics and changed the name.

San Soo Justin

www.hikarate.1hwy.com

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn
    For a time, many of the Knott's Berry Tales figures had gone into the funhouse in Camp Snoopy, but if I'm not mistaken, now it's Snoopy figures. Although I have not been able to verify this... last time I tried to go in the funhouse (a number of years ago), I was turned down, because I didn't have a child with me. Anyone know if this is still the case?
    Yes, it all Peanuts characters now. I went with my son a couple of weeks ago.

Wind Jammer was a twin track steel coaster that went up when Soapbox was torn down. It didn't last long... it was so bad, Knott's actually sued the manufactures of the ride (Togo). Although I never found out how the suit went... anyone else know?
    According to www.rcdb.com: "The Windjammer did not operate frequently due to mechanical problems. Knott's spent an additional $2 million USD on repairs and inspections over the roller coaster's short life. Due to these troubles in March of 2000, Knott's filed suit against Togo seeking $17 million USD in damages. The problems listed in the suit included misaligned tracks, defective safety restraints and wrinkles in the main frame of the trains. In October 2003 the jury rejected the suit after a five week trial.

During July of 2001 the Windjammer was demolished."

Sorry, I don't happen to remember anything about that white building... but does anyone else remember the door to the Private Club beneath the Good Time Theater? Not a ride by any means, but just a quick in-joke. There was a door in a wall with a sign that read Private Club above it, with a doorbell next to it. If you rang the bell, a face would appear in a peephole in the door, shout "Go away. It's private!" and slam the peephole shut! That was it! Hi-larity! The door & bell are still there, but deactivated now... good times...
    That is great!

Oh, man... how much I miss Hammerhead... oh, and VertiGO! I LOVED that ride! One of my first freefall!
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Mousketeer

Before Knott's started charging to enter, we would go every week. My sister and I loved the Gypsy villiage, and Knott's Log Ride is still my favorite. After Knott's started charging admission, we would still go to the free area of Ghost Town where I loved the archery range, and we always would be sure to ride on the Mules and the gas powered autos that were outside the park. I remember the Jungle too, with it's creepy wood animals. And we often went to the little lake and fed the ducks or rode in the little paddlewheel boat. Now those rides are all parking lot. Too sad.

I only wish I could find some memorabilia from Knotts related to the Wacky Soap Box Racers...a pin, a flag...darn...I'd even love to own one of the ride cars...
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!

• Theme Park Advocate

But dont forget:
    dolphin show
    mission diaramas
    smaller adobe church where Jesus had the glowing eyes
    Original Berry Stand
    the suspention bridge in Camp Snoopy
    the arcade/food place between whrilpool and Wacky Soapbox Racers
    Motts minitures
    Bobs Mens Shop
    The wood carver in Indian Trails
    And most importantly the avaibilty to order a Bosenberry Ice CreamFloat!
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast