Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Knott's Berry Farm closed Attractions

Quote Originally Posted by TomorrowlandTourist
    After the Haunted Shack's removal, it was replaced by the upcharge thrill ride, Vertigo (by S&S). However, I think a cable snapped or a tower was knocked over by wind, and it was removed.
    Still Haunted, but Shack-less, serves 'em right!

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by alex-jmp
    But dont forget:
    dolphin show
    mission diaramas
    smaller adobe church where Jesus had the glowing eyes
    Original Berry Stand
    the suspention bridge in Camp Snoopy
    the arcade/food place between whrilpool and Wacky Soapbox Racers
    Motts minitures
    Bobs Mens Shop
    The wood carver in Indian Trails
    And most importantly the avaibilty to order a Bosenberry Ice CreamFloat!
    Some good points! Forgot all about the Mission Diaramas. I also remember, after the Dolphin Show, they briefly converted the stadium to a skateboarding/BMX show.

Now that you mention some of the smaller details, does anyone else remember the womans leg that would kick against the 2nd story window whenever anyone passed under it? It was dressed in a black granny boot, and wore bloomers. I seem to recall it either near the entrance to Boot Hill, or the alley where the jailed guy talks to you. Last I took a look (which was a while ago), the leg is still there, but it doesn't move anymore. Anyone confirm or deny?

The Candy Shop in the back of the Marketplace was one of my favorites. There used to be a large window where you could see them make the candy. It was even bigger display than the candy shop at Disney!

Outside the exit of Knott's, there used to be a small figure of a Devil (looking much like the Devils in Mr. Toad) that would rotate a small piece of "machinery" (much like how a small clown figurine would rotate machinery in old popcorn vending carts--a purely decorative touch to catch the eye of small children) to operatate a mini volcano behind him. It was totally random, and served no apparent purpose, but that's what made it so great.

At least they still have the rising corpse figure behind the Stagecoach ride. Always got a macbre kick out of that! I also still enjoy the museum within Ghost Town. I'll bet 90% of the people who have ever been to Knott's don't know it's there! And let's hope they never take out the heartbeating grave in Boot Hill. My personal fave! So there are still a few detailed touches around. May the rocking chairs in Ghost Town still rock by themselves!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by alex-jmp
    But dont forget:
    dolphin show
    mission diaramas
    smaller adobe church where Jesus had the glowing eyes
    Original Berry Stand
    the suspention bridge in Camp Snoopy
    the arcade/food place between whrilpool and Wacky Soapbox Racers
    Motts minitures
    Bobs Mens Shop
    The wood carver in Indian Trails
    And most importantly the avaibilty to order a Bosenberry Ice CreamFloat!

Um I dont believe the origianl Berry Stand is closed, I think it is just relocated.

"This guy!"

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Here's a map circa 197? - 198?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• What have I done?

Awww reflection Lake we will miss you so!

"This guy!"

• Theme Park Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    Um I dont believe the origianl Berry Stand is closed, I think it is just relocated.
    Sorry, when silver bullet was being build the stand was dismantled and some of the enthusists on another forum collected up some of the scraps from the dumpster. The church of reflections was dismantled and most of the interior and some of the exterior was used in the construction of the new church over at Independance Hall. Now I have been informed, I dont know if it is true, that it was not the orignal Berry Stand. The Knotts family demolished the orignal back in the days.
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

What was the San Fraciso Cable Cars, was it a ride? It seems to be outside the park in the marketplace.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    What was the San Fraciso Cable Cars, was it a ride? It seems to be outside the park in the marketplace.
    It is still there with a different name (Soup or Sandwitches?). Just a fast food place.

That's the Cable Car Cafe, or whatever it was called, that was the terminus for the San Francisco Cable Car that served as a parking tram. Looks like that might have already been gone at the time of that map, just leaving the cafeteria with the name.

By the way, the San Francisco Cable Car is preserved at Orange Empire RR Museum in Perris, CA (near Riverside). It's in Carbarn #1, along with a horsedrawn streetcar that Knott's used as a lemonade stand, and there's a Knott's pushcar in their Grizzly Flats area that still has Knott's' original handpainted informative signage, complete with a typo. And next to Grizzly Flats, they also have the contents of the toy train museum that was at Knott's for years.

The "Covered Wagon Show" was the first attraction at Knott's, dating to 1940. It was just a room in the Calico Hotel with a covered wagon and camp behind glass, with narration and lighting effects that told the tale of the pioneers who braved innumerable dangers to settle in the West. The old adobe church had a similar style of presentation, with narration reading a passage in the bible describing Jesus' looks while a painting of Jesus (with amazingly blond hair) glowed creepily. They both always had a wonderful/horrible musty smell that I still associate with Knott's Berry Farm.

So, is it even possible to hold shows in the Wagon Camp with the Silver Bullet whoooshing by every few seconds?

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Here's a map circa 197? - 198?
    That map's definitely not from the 70s - Camp Snoopy didn't open until 1983.
    I'd say it's from somewhere between 1984-1988 (Big Foot Rapids opened in 1988)

• Functional & Decorative

So, is it even possible to hold shows in the Wagon Camp with the Silver Bullet whoooshing by every few seconds?
    Actually, it is... the ride is amazingly quiet. I've seen the stunt show recently, and wasn't bothered by it at all. There's some screams from the patrons, but they go by pretty fast. But the ride itself is no problem.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Something I just remembered, the old schoolhouse used to have a playground on its right side, with old fashioned wooden swings, teeter-totter, etc.

I think they got rid of it because of liability issue, should some kid fall from a swing, scrape a knee, and sue for pain and suffering.

And I'm remembering fixed "boats" around the edge of Reflection Lake some time in the seventies. They were completely stationary, but it was a nice place to eat lunch while being "on" the water in a "boat." Were they swan-shaped? I seem to remember them being... well, swanish.

There was a teacups-style ride, with it painted like ornate Mexican pots with sombreros overhead, and there was a circus-wheel ride.

About ten years ago, there was a ride that was supposed to be like a flight simulator, where you had controls to go into left or right loops. I found the trouble to be that each time you looped, it twisted you slightly in the restraints, until you were practically sideways, and you had to start looping in the other direction to straighten yourself out. Was that called "Loop Trainer"?

There was that 3D movie on ocean life in the Boardwalk area. They must not have had the budget for more than one print, because by the end that poor thing was nearly unwatchable, probably consisting of more splicing tape than film.

Over in front of the entrance to Jaguar, there was a traditional Aztec (?) "maze" path to follow. I guess not too many kids appreciated that little cultural touch, since it's now gone.

And Edison's workshop is now a candy store, last time I looked.

I miss that big Galopagas (sp?) tortoise that was in the petting zoo. When I was a kid, I used to sit on its shell while it walked around. Tortoise rides! The last time I saw it, it was sleeping in the pen and some boy decided it would be great fun to jump up and down on the poor thing's head. The parents reprimanded him quickly, but I really hope that wasn't the cause of death.

Oh, and there was a beehive behind glass over near the restrooms behind the Chicken Dinner restaurant. Try to spot the queen.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by drb
    There was a teacups-style ride, with it painted like ornate Mexican pots with sombreros overhead
    I think this one is still there.

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by drb
    There was a teacups-style ride, with it painted like ornate Mexican pots with sombreros overhead, and there was a circus-wheel ride.
    Yep, that's the Mexican Hat Dance...it's still there from what I understand. ^_^

I remember VERY vaguely, but didn't the Wacky Soapbox Racers have something like a blacklit scene inside one of the tunnels or something?

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn
    Actually, it is... the ride is amazingly quiet. I've seen the stunt show recently, and wasn't bothered by it at all. There's some screams from the patrons, but they go by pretty fast. But the ride itself is no problem.
    My son and I went this weekend and it is very quiet. Best lines from the show:

Good Guy: I'm going to send you where all the bad guys and crimminals go.

Bad Guy: Six Flags?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast