Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hitchcock voiced the Jaws ride?

I'd never heard this before--:

ONE of the biggest disappointments in director Steven Spielberg's life was Alfred Hitchcock's repeated refusal to meet him - but it turns out the Master of Suspense had a bizarre excuse. In his memoir, "Things I've Said, But Proba bly Shouldn't Have," due in May from Wiley, actor Bruce Dern writes that he tried and tried to convince the director of "Psycho" and "The Birds" to say hello to Spielberg, who had just triumphed with "Jaws." "I said, 'You're his idol. He just to sit at your feet for five minutes and chat with you' . . . He said, 'Isn't that the boy who made the fish movie? . . . I could never sit down and talk to him . . . because I look at him and feel like such a whore,' " Dern relates.

Completely puzzled, Dern, who appeared in two Hitchcock flicks, finally pinned the director down: "I said, 'Why do you feel Spielberg makes you a whore?' Hitch said, 'Because I'm the voice of the 'Jaws' ride [at Universal Studios]. They paid me a million dollars. And I took it and I did it. I'm such a whore. I can't sit down and talk to the boy who did the fish movie . . . I couldn't even touch his hand."

• Huh?

Re: Hitchcock voiced the Jaws ride?

I've never known there to be anything but the skippers voicing that ride... From what I've seen of Hitchcock, he wasn't very healthy person during the time that the Jaws ride would've opened. He especially was nearly unrecognizable as even being old Alfred in that photo with Mel Brooks during the making of High Anxiety. So, somehow, I wonder if his health would've been up for voicing Jaws at all.
    -Tim

• This space for rent

Is this thread talking about some sort of Universal Studios Hollywood Jaws attraction? Like maybe on the Tram Tour?

If not it would have been hard for him to do the Jaws ride at USF cause according to IMDB.com Hitchcock died in 1980.

• Earth Intruder

Also, why would he call it "the fish movie" and then get it right by calling it by its proper name, then go back to calling it "the fish movie"? Seems like a made up quote to me. USF opened in 1990, Hitchcock was dead for 10 years by then, so that's pretty doubtful.

The USH tram tour doesn't have any recorded voices except those coming from the screens (which weren't there circa 1980) and the tram guide.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Circle of Ancients

I call BS

• Parmageddon Jim

Maybe elderly Hitch was, in fact, given a bunch of money by Universal in his old age, and was led to believe it had something to do with the "fish movie." "Jaws" is, after all, something of an homage to Hitchcock's "The Birds."

Or maybe Bruce Dern's synapses are lapsing. I'm guessing the '70's and '80's are somewhat, shall we say, "hazy."
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Rock Star Minion

Hitchcock was also a bit of a practical joker.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

The quote is legit--but Hitch was a huge practical joker. I don't even get how he would be used for the Jaws ride (but yeah--this definetly is refering to the Hollywood part of the tram which opened in 1976--Hitch was still healthy enough by then since he directed his final full film, the underated Family Plot then)

This is off topic but I've always been a bit disappointed that Universal, which owns the rights to nearly all of the true Hitch classics (the only two great Hitch movies they don't own are Stranger son a Train and North by Northwest) couldn't work some sort of great attraction from any of them. Surely they'll stick in the public collective memory longer than some movies (Van Helsing?) that they have made attractions from

• This space for rent

This is off topic but I've always been a bit disappointed that Universal, which owns the rights to nearly all of the true Hitch classics (the only two great Hitch movies they don't own are Stranger son a Train and North by Northwest) couldn't work some sort of great attraction from any of them. Surely they'll stick in the public collective memory longer than some movies (Van Helsing?) that they have made attractions from
    They had a big Hitchcock attraction at USF called Alfred Hitchcock The Art of Making Movies from when the park opened up until a few yrs ago. It was pretty cool, you saw a montage of his films, as well as a cool little 3-D movie before going on to a live actor part re-creation of Psycho and some of the secrets of how he made it, then you'd go off to an interactive area with a few smaller areas within it devoted to some more of his classics. Eventually they kept nickel and diming the attraction by removing any live elements of the show. Then finally replaced it altogether with Shrek 4D.

I like the Shrek movies, but would rather have the original FULL Hitchcok attraction rather than the current Shrek one, but times change and so do the parks to stay fresh.
    Last edited by upov; 01-30-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typing/spelling errors (D'OH)

Blog Entries

Man that original hitchcock attraction in its prime was wonderful. I loved the staircase that made it feel like you were falling and the show was wonderful. Shrek is an ok attraction, but nothing like what that was. I miss the old psycho house too.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I loved the old Hitchcock attraction too. I remember coming home from vacation and renting Psycho and The Birds just because I was on a Hitchcock thing from visiting the attraction.

I haven't even seen Shrek 4D yet.

I remember the Hitchcock attraction at USH around 1992--was it based on that one?

It just seems like they should pay some hommage to their truly memorable classic movies--I mean maybe even if some theming at Halloween--the way Disney has stuff paying hommage to their classics too. Besides some old school walk around monsters do they really have anything representing any of their movies pre Jaws in 75?

is there a more detailed desrciption or photos anywhere of the Hitchcock walkthru? the stairs thing sounds neat.

I admit, despite all I say, I'm having trouble coming up with attractions based specifically on Hitch movies but I still think something could be done--and it seems such a wasted opportunity for the park, one that people of all ages would be interested in.
    Last edited by EricMontreal22; 01-30-2007 at 11:47 PM.

• This space for rent

It just seems like they should pay some hommage to their truly memorable classic movies--I mean maybe even if some theming at Halloween--the way Disney has stuff paying hommage to their classics too. Besides some old school walk around monsters do they really have anything representing any of their movies pre Jaws in 75?
    At USF I can't really think of any attractions based on any movies before Jaws that really pays a tribute to the classics. They do have a mini mostly TV attraction based on I Love Lucy called Lucy a Tribute, but that's all I can think of that's an attraction devoted to something pre-Jaws the movie.

Universal Classic Monster's Cafe is kind of cool with the theming and (I think) old props from the Classic Universal Monsters movies. There might be a film clip or 2, and some props from some old horror movies over at the Universal Horror Make-Up show, unless they're all gone after the Van Helsing makeover.

I heard the Walkthru in Hollywood might be transformed to a fully "cllassic Universal Monster' attraction (without the Helsing element) but who knows. It just seems a waste with some of their amazing and still culturally reresonant classic films

Quote Originally Posted by EricMontreal22 View Post
    It just seems like they should pay some hommage to their truly memorable classic movies--I mean maybe even if some theming at Halloween--the way Disney has stuff paying hommage to their classics too.
    USF has had several haunted houses based on Psycho during HHN. In fact, there was one at this past year's event.

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com...sychopath.html
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 02-01-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast