• Banned User

Knott's Berry Farm: Not for the big dudes

Now before you start laughing, I WAS able to fit on every ride in the park. Actually, today's events made me feel thinner.

But I'll admit the dudes in our group were pretty big. Picture a pack of big Hispanic dudes running around trying to get on roller coasters and you will have a pretty clear picture of my day today.

Ever since that woman fell out of Perilous Plunge Knott's has been going crazy with the size requirements on rides. I'm not entirely sure that the extent they are going to minimize their chances of lawsuits is even necessary.

There was one guy in our group who could not board Xcellerator because the seat belt would not fit. Now I understand the need for size requirements. But the lap bar appeared to fit just fine for this guy, and I would bet a million dollars he would have never fallen out. He doesn't weigh 300 pounds or anything like that woman did, but the seat belt barely missed its mark.

There was this spinning ride where you had to push the restraint down until the light turned green. Even women who didn't appear to be that heavy had trouble getting the light to come on. One guy in our group, who actually was able to get on Xcellerator, Silver Bullet, and Supreme Scream, was denied the opportunity to ride that one.

We even had trouble on the Dragon Swing thing, a tame ride by current standards. The snug fit they want you to endure takes all the fun out of these stupid rides. They even added something to Supreme Scream's seat belt that sorta shortened it.

Is it really necessary to go this far in minimizing the risk of lawsuits? One woman falls out of a ride because of her weight and it changes the whole dynamic of the park. I'm not sure, but I'm saying they overreacted. I am confident that these guys would be able to ride pre-Perilous Plunge death without incident. They were no where near the size of that woman.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Knott's Berry Farm: Not for the big dudes

I am glad you feel thinner. Always a good thing.

I think they need to have safety on every ride for many reason from to big to too small.

As they say safety first

• Why do you keep talking?

Funny thing is many of the rides are not changed that much from what the (mostly European) manufacturers send the park. La Revolucion (the spiny ride with the lights) is a standard park model from Chance/KMG. Knott's didn't add the safety lights. They did however add the little indicators on Xcelerators seats (which is ingenious!)

It also isn't just about the fat lady from Perilous Plunge, but a few other Intamin rides (six flags) that was a combination of operator error (letting the person ride and not actually checking the restraints) and design error (being designed in a manner that could leave the rider in serious danger if not at a certain point on the riders (against the thighs in the case of most rides with lap bars) and sadly not more restrictive on the more "extreme" rides)

If Supreme Scream is anything like Power Tower (S&S turbo drop and space shot on four towers at Cedar Point in Ohio) it also has a electronic sensor that says the restraints have to be closed a certain amount before the computer will let you send it, no matter if the belt clicks or not. The riders can't see it though, it's on the control panel in the control booth.

I could go on for hours about this, but I'll end this with I'm a bit surprised that Operations had to have a death on their hands to actually tighten safety measures. (rides are only supposed to give the illusion of danger) It's not about lawsuits, it's about keeping people alive.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

The one thing that is not mentioned in this discussion is that fact that it's primarily the State of California that sets the limits on these attractions based upon the information supplied by the ride's manufacturers, and to a lessor extent Cedar Fair. The state inspectors have the final say, and Knotts has to abide by what they say. I was in the amusement industry for thirty years, twenty five of them in CA. I've had to deal with the same inspectors that Knotts does, and while they will work with you they will make you toe the line.

alright those things happened to me .

the only time i went to Knotts i wasn't able to ride on Xcellerator but the Lap Bar turned green but the seat belt was too short .

What that means ? ITAMIN Safety Restraints Sucks .

Since 2003 Itamin set up their over the shoulders restraints like you have now on : Storm Runner ( Hersheypark) , Kingda Ka ( SFGAdv) and Itamin do not sold many of their Rocket Coasters .

Actually the next Rocket Coaster announced will be in Denmark in 2008 at Bakken . Now Itamin has understand that Big Folks ride on rollercoaster even more in US than in Asia and Europe .

If they change their Restraints on Xcellerator to the Over the Shoulders restraints i would go to Knotts one more time .

Itamin's Over the Shoulders Restraints on Stealth at Thorpe Park UK :

Last edited by DLRP_bopazot; 02-03-2007 at 10:52 PM.
    HKDL : Done !!!

• The Dude!!!

I have had a similar problem with Knotts now I am a little heavy but my brother who is smaller than me could not get on some rides as well as my girlfriend yet we can go to almost any other theme park and have no issues. They had to put me in a different seat on one of their rides as well. I think knotts has overdone it a bit and it's sad that I used to love going there but am now afraid of being humiliated.

• Circle of Ancients

Actually, Knott's did require the restraints on La Revolucion to require "Smaller" guests. They have the same rides elsewhere and I can fit on them with no problems. There was a time I couldn't fit on the one at Knott's.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Regarding Knott's Revolucion - the ride's manufacturer sent out a memo regarding the safety restraint locking system - there are situations where lowering the bar, then turning the operating knob to the lock position will not properly register a locked bar - If you turn the knob to lock, then push the bar down, it will register properly. Just after the ride opened I couldn't ride because the ride ops weren't made aware of that. I have been able to ride since then.

I feel your pain, I too am a big guy but I do fit the rides. The only thing I can see that would work is if everyone used the ride restraint that is used on X in Magic Mountain. That system in my eye was the most comfortable restraining system I have ever sat in, of course the seats are wider in nature due to the type of ride it is but it could work.

Some coasters back east have extender belts for us big people and it works just as well. wish they would use them out here.

• Just Me

When we went to Knott's the first ride we went to was Ghost Rider. The seat belt was too short. When I asked one of the kids operating it if I would be able to ride anything there he laughed and said Nope, too fat. I have no trouble at any of the DLR rides. Needless to say I spent the next 2 days watching my son and husband having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl View Post
    When we went to Knott's the first ride we went to was Ghost Rider. The seat belt was too short. When I asked one of the kids operating it if I would be able to ride anything there he laughed and said Nope, too fat. I have no trouble at any of the DLR rides. Needless to say I spent the next 2 days watching my son and husband having fun.
    I'm sure that you can fit on the Boomerang just ask for the front row on every car .

I Think that you can also fit on Jaguar from Zierer a german company .
    HKDL : Done !!!

It's not just Knott's - Cedar Fair (the owner) has similar policies at all their parks with weight restrictions. I know Cedar Point has had regular issues with people not fitting on some of their premier rides.

Also, Dorney Park has an insane weight restriction on their Wild Mouse coaster. The cars seat 4, and they will only let two adults sit in any one car. And they make them sit opposite each other, one in the front, one in the back. It makes for a horrible line! Plus it's just not fun, you can't ride with your family half the time!

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

• Circle of Ancients

^ That must be a new thing. When we rode the mouse at Dorney in September of 2005 we both rode in the front together. The park was DEAD that day, maybe that's why.

• Why do you keep talking?

The 1" rule at Cedar Point was brought on by Intamin. Trust me, it pissed the employees off just as much as it did the guests who couldn't ride soley because of the rule.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead