Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Universal or Knotts ?

I am planning for my next trip down (March 28-April 1) and am tossing between Knotts and Universal for my side trip.

I liked Knotts in the old days when it was more the family park and have heard it is really more of a thrill park now.

I am less aware of Universal though it looks to be a mix of thrills and stuff to see.

I haven't been to either in 10 yrs or more

Any thoughts on which one to do ?

I will eventually do both, so if one is better or worse at different times of year feel free to say so.

Since both seem to offer decent AP deals of course I could end up visiting them more than once
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Universal or Knotts ?

Why go to either one when DCA is right accross the prom. from Disneyland?

I'd choose Universal.....but that's just me.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Premium Youngling and

Choose Universal for sure! That park is a lot of fun because they have a lot of fun shows and movie rides.

Personally, I hate Knott's. I cant exactly put my finger on it but I have always hated it. They have a couple fun rides there but the overall atmosphere of it just drags you down. All of the employees are depressed and rude.

I very highly doubt that it is going to rain during your trip but just in case that it does, Universal would be a better choice only because when it rains at Knotts, almost the entire park shuts down and there is nothing to go on except for the Calico Mine ride and Big Foot Rapids. But if it rains at Universal, the only ride that I could see going down is the Backlot Tour.

My vote is for Universal Studios

(This thread my be moved to another forum)

• Queen of Sarcasm

I Have APs to both parks and if I were you I would go with Universal. Universal has things that will interest everyone and it is a lot cleaner than Knotts. If you want history Knotts is a good bet but you will be dissappointed at everything else. Knotts used to have the best food of any park but that is starting to fall to the side too.

If you are looking for discounts Universal has many deals. I get e mailed once a month coupons to use on family and friends. Also, if you go to Hollywood and Highland they usually have people standing in front of the Kodak Theater handing out coupons.

• Minion

Well now I am finding a possible change to my plans.

It looks like the hotel I am going to book will be over on Beach about 2 blocks from Knotts, so it might make sense to go there this trip.

Is it really that bad ?

I am a history nut.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• "714"

Universal. Not as many rides as Knotts but cooler stuff to watch and see. LOVE that tram ride that takes you through the "back lot".

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Hi Tigger,

If you are a history nut I'd choose knotts and plan on spending 2 or 3 hours in ghost town. Universal has a better selection, my favoite being the backlot tour where they show old props and sets of TV shows and movies.

Have Fun!
    Chad

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

At Universal when it rains, WaterWorld MAY be canceled, and Blues Brothers Stage Show and Animal Actors moves to the T-2 auditorium.
    The Studio Tour does run in the rain.
    There's also free hot chocolate and cartoons in the Globe Theater.

• Queen of Sarcasm

If it is history you want Knotts does have Ghost Town but that is slowly starting to get demolished in favor of making room for more coasters. Go there while you can before it gets torn down.

Universal does have a lot of history but it is film history. I want to major in RF&TV so I am drawn more to Universal. The Tram Tour gives you a lot of history of the studio and the older films they made. Universal is also more family friendly with the rides and shows.

• Eeyore smiling

How long is your trip, and how much time are you alotting going to either of these other parks vs Disneyland?
    If you are talking about going to Knotts when you arrive, due to the drive down, then it is a great idea, then devoting your real time to DL/DCA.

When I was a kid in the 60's my parents always took us over to Knotts Berry the day we arrived, we would go into Knotts and then eat at the chicken restaurant. Then go into DL early the next day. I have wonderful family memories, however I know it has all changed.

Back in the 90's I would take my kids to Mideviel Times (down the road from Knott's) on the day we arrived, vs going to Knotts, then go into DL early the next morning.

• Banned User

Universal.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I vote for Univeral too. Knott's isn't what it use to be. I use to love Ghost Town, but there's not much left of it . I think Universal has more to do and see.
    Last edited by Villains Fan; 02-17-2007 at 11:30 AM.

• I met Walt Disney!

I'm sad to say go to Universal. Since being bought out, Knotts has started its spiral downward. We were very disappointed the last time we went. Food was HORRIBLE, everything was dirty, and they were removing a lot of the old things that made the park so great.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I think I might choose Universal too. I haven't been to Knott's in about 10 years. As a kid, back in the 70's and early to mid 80's, it used to be a really fun place to go....but it's not owned by the same folks anymore and it's looking rundown and it just doesn't 'do it' for me anymore. It's lost it's original charm.

I went to Universal in 2004 - previously, I hadn't been since 1989. I thought there was MORE in 1989 - personally.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Universal.

If you can, I'd recommend the VIP Tour. Check out their website for info. It's best to have reservations for it. You get to go into a real/active sound stage. Probably the set of Crossing Jordan. You also get to go inside (and walk throughout) the prop warehouse. You can take all of the pics that you want.

The VIP Tour includes an AP, so you can go back if you want.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast