Blog Entries

Should I be upset about this?

Let me just say that this is the first negative thing I've ever had to post about Universal Orlando ever other than saying they need to build some new rides. I love the park and I'll be making a post later about everything that I did find right yesterday at their mardi gras party, but my wife and I both left with a very sour taste in our mouth.

Everything was great until around 7 PM when everyone started trying to crowd into what became one very small area for the concert with Taylor Hicks. There only seemed to be one entry way into the area to get in or out once the parade lines started forming and it began to become a mad house. People who had been drinking all afternoon were starting to get testy, people were trying to force themselves into spaces too small for them, etc... Basically there was no form of crowd control at all other than a few railings. IMO, it was worse than the hub for Wishes at Magic Kingdom.

I could deal with that however until the next part happened. My wife left to go to the bathroom while I tried to hold our place in line. I probably should have walked with her with how the crowds were, but I didn't. I wish I had. My wife is almost 4 months pregnant and was getting tired after all the walking for the day. As she was walking towards the bathroom, she was pushed from behind by someone trying to push through where she lost her balance and fell on her hand very awkwardly and cutting it pretty deeply, as well as her elbow and her knee.

She came running back to me crying saying she thought she might have broken her hand and was bleeding very badly. I quickly pulled her through the crowd to a security guard near the bathroom and asked him where we could find some first aid assistance. He said he'd call someone to come over to us and to stay right there. (That I was pleased with).

By this time though my wife was starting to get very weak in her knees and feeling like she was about to pass out. I asked the security guard if there was anywhere where she could sit down, that she was pregnant, hurt sort of badly, and was about to pass out. He just looked at us and said, "No." I pointed out that less than 50 feet from us, in a blocked off backstage area that there were plenty of benches where she could sit until the paramedic could get there and he said that we couldn't go there that we'd have to stay right here. Now I would have just sat her down on the ground but with as many people who were jossling around there I was afraid she'd get stepped on. So I just held on to her and held her up.

About 15 minutes later we still hadn't seen a paramedic and I asked him again if someone was coming and could she please sit down. He called again to verify that someone was on their way and again said, "I told you before, she can't sit there and I don't have anything for her to sit on."

Finally after about 25 minutes the paramedic showed up and started checking her out. He said that he didn't think that she had broken anything and helped bandage her up. He also found a chair nearby for her and let her sit down while he worked on her and until she got to feeling better. He was very good and I have no complaints with his handling of the situation. (I should mention that he was a Universal employee as well since I also mentioned that security was).

Here were my problems however.

1. Crowd flow and control was simply out of control. I don't know how to fix it or if there is a way to fix those problems, but something needed to be done. However if that couldn't be fixed there should have been #2 in place as well.

2. There should have been some sort of first aid tent nearby in case something happened. There were at least 5-10,000 people all cramming in that place. It's no suprise that someone got hurt, especially with all the kids running into people and adults who were drinking. Luckily, aside from some deep abrasions, I believe my wife is ok. But what if she had hit her head, what if she needed immediate attention, a 25 minute response time is ridiculous. I understand that the man had to walk from across the park, and fight his way through those throngs of people, but this should have been considered earlier.

So I ask you all. Should I be upset about this or am I overreacting because I can't stand to see my wife hurting, crying, and treated that way especially while prenant? If I should be upset, what should I do? I want this fixed. Should I just call guest relations or is there another avenue to take? I'm not looking to get anyone fired, but these issues should have been considered before they happened.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Should I be upset about this?

Short answer, yes. I'd be upset about this, too, pregnant or not. Call guest relations and see where it takes you. I'm sure you weren't the only ones who felt this way. I'm sorry your wife got hurt though, that's not right.
    A signature should go here.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That's worse than when I almost got into a fight with this douche of a guy while waiting to see Chic there a few years ago.

Blog Entries

As a followup, I did speak to guest relations yesterday where I was greeted with someone who seemed truly interested in my opinions and even agreed with me that the crowd and the first aid response time was a problem. He took down all of my info and has passed it on to security and to health services for them to examine it and see if there is any answer to my concerns. I have been promised to receive contact from them once their investigation has finished.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I'll be making a post later about everything that I did find right yesterday at their mardi gras party, but my wife and I both left with a very sour taste in our mouth.

Universal's Fat Tuesday party was on a Saturday (for those of you not from New Orleasns that don't know, Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday)

And thats terrible, sorry about your experience. Next time go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. (their are lots of family friendly parades) And Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

• World Traveler

I hope your wife feels better and that nothing more serious happened. I personally don't like crowds and such and try to stay away from it whenever possible.

I'm glad you went to Guest Services and complained. I hope you get some sort of compensation.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Universal's Fat Tuesday party was on a Saturday (for those of you not from New Orleasns that don't know, Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday)
    They celebrate Mardi Gras every Saturday through pretty much the end of April at Universal during this promotion.

Pass the punchkeys... not the prune ones though.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

good to hear your wife is ok

and you have every right to be upset thats a terrible story
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Fastest Man Alive

Just kinda an FYI, at least at Disneyland, during Fantasmic! where they know there is going to be huge congestion, a paramedic (or whatever he term, a medical person) is on hand nearby and does not have to traverse the park all the way from First Aid.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Just out of curiosity, did they ever explain why you couldn't sit on the nearby bench?

Blog Entries

Yes, the bench was behind the stage at the mardi gras concert. They claimed that due to the contracts they have with the performers that no one is allowed to be back there under any circumstances without proper authorization from the performer and that if they had let her back there they could have been sued.

• Banned User

and if she was seriously injured they could have been sued as well. While I love mardi gras at universal, they are notoriously bad about crowd control.you would think they could have figured it out by now since they do this every year but for some reason they can't. they only do mardi gras parade and the macy's balloon parade so they don't deal with this like disney who has a daily parade. it's a shame too because it gives the resort a black eye and like KCnole said, it's not a bad place to go.

Blog Entries

No it's not a bad place to go at all. I'm not crazy about IOA after repeat visits but I still love the original park. This was our 4th visit since September of last year. It's just a shame that it ended with that sour note.

• Diamond In The Rough

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    As a followup, I did speak to guest relations yesterday where I was greeted with someone who seemed truly interested in my opinions and even agreed with me that the crowd and the first aid response time was a problem. He took down all of my info and has passed it on to security and to health services for them to examine it and see if there is any answer to my concerns. I have been promised to receive contact from them once their investigation has finished.
    Glad your wife is ok

It's good to hear that they took your views seriously - I would be interested to hear what conclusion they come to and if Uni have learnt anything from your misfortune.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Glad your wife is OK
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ