• Functional & Decorative

Why does Sea World still charge extra for Skyway/Skytower?

I understand that they were/are under sponsorship (though it's unclear to me if the Skyway still is). But nowadays, with Journey to Atlantis, Shipwreck Rapids, and Wild Arctic all (arguably) larger draw attractions that are included with park admission, you'd think they'd find a way to include these two more sedate, family friendly rides. Is there a contract of some kind preventing this? I'd be willing to pay an extra buck or two at the main gate to have unlimited rides on the Skyway, if need be. Any thoughts?

(This is Sea World San Diego--I'm not sure if the other Sea Worlds have the same problem.)
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• no flash photography...

Re: Why does Sea World still charge extra for Skyway/Skytower?

my annual pass came with unlimited skyway rides and the sky tower..

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Simple, capacity issues. If they allowed everyone on for free, it would create very long lines.

On occasion in the off-season, they do allow free rides if a major show is closed for refurb.

Want free rides, get a Platinum AP, they come with free rides on both the SkyTower and the Skyway, along with Free Preferred Parking, Reserved Seating for most attractions, a free Admission Ticket and much more....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Iron-Clad Allie

Skytower is pretty much a typical family theme park ride. Possibility exists that SW charges for the ride in order to instill among guests that it's a special attraction...making them more likely to ride. Maintainance is probably nominal as well...compared to other rides and shows.

I'm happy there is an extra charge for riding the skyway. As it takes you to a restaurant {located across a water devide), I certainly don't want people that don't intend to eat riding over just to gawk at me.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm happy there is an extra charge for riding the skyway. As it takes you to a restaurant {located across a water devide), I certainly don't want people that don't intend to eat riding over just to gawk at me.
    hmmm, they never even let us off the skyway. It just went over the bay and then turned around and went back. I didn't see a restaurant either....

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    hmmm, they never even let us off the skyway. It just went over the bay and then turned around and went back. I didn't see a restaurant either....
    There used to be a restaurant there some time ago. It's been a while since my last visit. Guess the restaurant is no longer in operation. Upon my next trip, I'll have to find a way to sneak off the Skyway and go exploring on the other side.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post

Want free rides, get a Platinum AP, they come with free rides on both the SkyTower and the Skyway, along with Free Preferred Parking, Reserved Seating for most attractions, a free Admission Ticket and much more....
    i wouldn't pay that much for the SkyTower and Skyway . I know you got the Prefered Parking as well but that's ok .

I need to go to Sea World San Diego to ride JTA .

Sea World Orlando has a Deal with Busch Gardens Africa and for about $150+tax you got both parks for one year .
    HKDL : Done !!!

• Banned User

it also pays to work for the eagle... free admission, and no charge for those attractions

back to my BGT trip report... and KaTonga soundtrack.

• This space for rent

Sea World Orlando has a Sky Tower too, it's $3.00 to ride it if you don't have some sort of annual pass. On a busy day the wait can get between 45 mins - 60 mins because they almost always only run just the upper deck of the capsule. I haven't seen the lower deck with any people in it in a longgggg time. You can even make reservations for it, and on busy days is recommended. For a while it was reservations only.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think it starts to have issues with the extra weight when the bottom deck is used cause I've seen it come down in what I call "service" mode (very very slow descent with no rotation like when pyro techs use it to take up the pyro for the fireworks shows/mystify) a few times when both decks were filled on the capsule. I felt sorry for those people on board if they had a certain place to be since it took a little while extra to come down.

I was going to say that capacity wasn't really an issue, as many amusement parks have skytowers that operate without significant waits. However, the above post does seem to dissuade that idea a bit. Wow, 45 minute waits! I suppose when there aren't a lot of other rides, the few that you have would tend to fill up a bit.

I've also never really seen a line at Sea World SD's skyway, but we all know that they can get lines.

Thanks for all the info about Sea World AP's... I didn't know they got so many benefits! Unfortunately, I don't really live nearby enough to justify it, and when I do go (at most, once a year), it's usually for a corporate event when a ticket is given to me. But I still have to pay for the upcharge attractions. Hence my original question.

They're trying to raise enough money to put a loop in.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Sea World Orlando one day admission Ticket is now $68plus tax .

add $3 and you can ride the Sky Tower lol

I prefer to go to Cypress Gardens and ride their Free Sky Ride without queing with a great view of Central Florida .
    HKDL : Done !!!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

And here is a related question...

Why does Disneyland (and other parks) charge for the Shooting Gallery, where there is no chance to win a prize?
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Is that a rhetorical question?

Although that is a good point. Maybe it's to lessen abuse of the guns? If they were free, people would probably treat them like crud.

Actually, I've often wondered/wished that Disney would pick up some cues from Holiday World, and offer free parking and soft drinks. If a small family owned park can do it, why can't a huge corporate one? Well, I can dream.

Okay, nobody has said it yet so I will. "Because they can". Nuff said.