Great America: knotts or paramount?

screamscape is reporting that great america in santa clara, CA is going to be renamed "knott's great america"

what happened to the paramount sponsorship/ownership of the park? i'm a nor-cal guy and i never heard anything about this!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Great America: knotts or paramount?

Cedar Fair bought the Paramount parks last year. The lease on the Paramount name is ending and instead of fighting with Six Flags for the "Great America" name.

I don't like the name Knott's Great America personally.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

It is clear that Cedar Fair Entertainment Company has decided to drop the Paramount name....

Check out this website

www.knottsgreatamerica.com

And then this list of parks on the website....

2007 Cedar Fair California Maxx Pass The 2007 Cedar Fair California Maxx Pass gives Passholders access to Great America and free admission to all 12 of these other great Cedar Fair amusement parks across North America during 2007 public operating days*, including:
    Gilroy Gardens (Gilroy, CA) - Knott's Berry Farm (Buena Park/Orange County, CA)
    Kings Dominion (Richmond, VA) - Kings Island (Cincinnati, OH) - Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH) - Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom (Aurora, OH) - Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom (Allentown, PA) - Canada's Wonderland (Toronto, Canada) - Michigan's Adventure (Muskegon, MI) - Worlds of Fun (Kansas City, MO) - Valleyfair! & White Water Country (Minneapolis, MN) - Carowinds (Charlotte, NC)

AND three separately gated Knott's Soak City Water Parks:
    San Diego, Palm Springs and Orange County

Goodbye Paramount Parks.... Also if you check the link, the Great America Season Pass images are using the Cedar Fair Entertainment Company Logo.

And also this link...

http://www.cedarfair.com/

I love how it shows that Cedar Point has moved to Canada
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

Well Kings Dominion and Kings Island dumping the paramount name is a great thing. That's the old school names for those parks.

But still ... Knott's Great America??? Not feeling it.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^But they MIGHT have to place something in front of "Great America" to make sure it is different than Six Flags Great America in Illinois....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

^ I know ... but Knott's???

Why don't the call it "Great America Santa Clara" or something. I dunno, I just don't like the Knott's name being bastardized.

• Banned User

That park was good back in it's original Marriot's Great America Days. It's not anymore. Sad. If it weren't for the Carousel, you'd hardly know it was the same place.

thanks for clearing that up guys, i was really confused for most of the day after having read about the name change on screamscape

the park definitely isnt what it used to be, but there are still some quality attractions (top gun is AMAZING, invertigo is good, drop zone cant be beat, and grizzly is a classic)

yes, there are some things they could do to make the park better, but its still a decent park....

the water park just isnt doing it for me though, no one plans ahead enough to bring a separate swimsuit to the park for the day, and no way am i goin on the slides in jeans with my wallet and cell phone and stuff like that
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

As much as I hate to say it, as I once worked at Great America and have many fond memories of the park, "Knotts Great America" sounds much better than "Cedar Fair Great America".

• Another part of me

I liked it better when it was Marriott's Great America! The park seemed alive then, but I must admit that they do have some pretty nice coasters.