Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Summer job in USH question

Hi. I know some readers here work or worked at Universal Studios Hollywood. Was wondering when I should apply/be intereviewed for a summer job. I talked to a representative of the park who was visiting the college campus and he said to apply during the spring. Is that right?? My finals week should be the 2nd to last week of May. My family wants to do a vacation in June (forgot if my mom said 1 or 2 weeks). Then most of August I MIGHT have to train for Resident Advisor at the dorms.

Any opinions?

Oh, and my spring break is the 1st week of April. And I'm sure for job apps, it's the 2nd floor near the Citywalk fountains.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Closed Account

Re: Summer job in USH question

With any amusement park, that schedule has too many extended holes for a an employee. They won't look at it as: "Oh, he is avaliable for most of the summer" , and will look at it as: "Oh, he won't be available for long periods of time, which means we'll have to cover him with someone else, who we don't have right now."

I know that's how we would look at it in Entertainment, not sure about the larger departments like Food service or Rides Ops.

• ...TWO BITS!

I think USH as their employement turnover issues as well . Also thinking about being seasonal so I can go back during winter break...

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

USH actually has a good retention rate (don't throw stones!!).

i'd say now is a GREAT time to go in. spring break started a couple of weeks ago and the rush will continue until the beginning of may. if i remember correctly, you wanted to do like show control, right? or did you want to be a ride operator? either is wicked.

i'd apply in person at the park. the staffing office is in the middle of citywalk, directly next to karl strauss, or directly across from howl at the moon. on the second floor. you'll take a test on the computer (standard questions), and then you will either get a phone call or they might interview you on the spot.

i LOVED my time at ush. 3 years there. coastermatt and i used to work together a lot. he's the reason i'm on this site now! however, management decided to make an unwise decision in regards to the area that i worked at and decided that it was time for me to go. if that hadn't happened, i'd still be there on the weekends working part time.

good luck!! let us know how it went!
    kingdom hearts <3er

• ...TWO BITS!

^ Ah, sorry they didn't want to keep you. Hope you made enough friends to let you back in the park .

So it's recommended I apply during my spring break. So if they do hire me, when would orientation and things like that happen? Cause I'd prefer to start work last week of May after I'm done for the semester. I think that's my main concern. I think I'd like to do something in attractions. I do remember mentioning crowd control at shows (good memory by the way!). I mainly want to do something that is pretty unique to do at a theme park. Like working at the stores for merchandising, cashier, and stocking, I've done that for years volunteering. Food service (actually, USH doesn't have a sit down restuarant, all buffet, stands, or hole in the wall, right?) I've done a couple times. OH, I'd be really interested in the Tram Tour. Someone said the guides do it like 4-7 times a day I think. Anyone know how much preparation is required to do that job?

-Jurassic Park

for the tram tour, i believe you have to have a monologue ready and then they will set you up for training. that's the dream job of everyone's and its a very competitive arena.

let them know that that is when you would like to train. they may have you do it in the course of a weekend, or the like. tell them your school schedule. generally they are quite understanding about stuff like that.

and yeah - i've still got a few friends there that can let me in if i ask nicely. don't rule out front gate either - ie tickets, celebrity annual pass center, guest relations. that's the department i worked at and everyone is really cool. coastermatt is also in that department. but the outfits are AWFUL. nuff said.

hope it goes well!
    kingdom hearts <3er

• ...TWO BITS!

Well, I just sent in my online application. It says they'll contact me if they want me. I have a feeling I should have just applied in person, or will that time come if they want me??

Also I didn't get the Resident Advisor position. So I'm free the beginning of August.

-Jurassic Park

if you don't hear from someone by tuesday, then contact them. GOOD LUCK!!!
    kingdom hearts <3er

• ...TWO BITS!

Just got off the phone with Universal. Right now they're hiring for the spring season. They asked me first about doing Ticket sales. Then mentioned merchandise stores inside the park itself. Wanted me to come in for a group interview. But since I was more interested in a summer job, said to call back April 30th. Now I'm wondering if I should take the job now before nothing good is open for the summer. Perhaps work now, the weekends, or wait for April 30th. I have 6 classes right now and the semester won't end til after May 25th I believe. If I do get a job, I'll probably be more interested in a merchadise shop inside the park.

What do you think?

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Group interview tomorrow afternoon.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Had 12 people in our group interview. Supposedly it's larger than normal. Our interviewee was this nice girl I think named Maria. Mentioned she's only been working for Universal for a month. Basically said what jobs were open now and their description. Since at this time it's considered the very end of the spring hiring season, there were no in-park positions avaliable. So what was open were usher, cook, & food runner for Amiphtheater. Valet parking (must have good driving record and drive both automatic and stick shift). Server at pizza restaurant. Field survey (must be energetic and take surveys from guests). Universal Studio Store in Citywalk. And the Ticket Seller. It appeared they were pushing for more Ticket sellers. Sellers get commission. Most chose Ticket sellers. It might just have been me, but I was a bit surprised I was the only one who asked for the Universal Studio Store. In which case, I must come back again to do a 1-on-1 interview and do a 10 question math test, supposedly not that hard.

During the interview, basically asked a question and made sure everyone answered it. Think of 1 word to say about being a Universal employee, favorite movie, past job or volunteer experience. Actually, I think that was it. On the phone they asked why we wanted to apply.

And that's that until Monday afternoon.

-Jurassic Park

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

There's also the added incentive of air conditioning in the ticket booths

And the ticket sellers are AWESOME people (myself and coastermatt were/are ticket sellers)

good for you!!! i'll think good thoughts for you when you go on your 1-on-1 interview!!! i'm so happy for you!
    kingdom hearts <3er

• ...TWO BITS!

Thanks, I GOT THE JOB! They want me to work ASAP. I picked up the Studio Insider and CityWalk Street Scene on my way out, hehe. Basically newsletters. Studio Insider features the House of Horror Maze.

EDIT: I didn't have to do a little math test. We just went straight to the interview.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 04-09-2007 at 09:46 PM.

-Jurassic Park

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Thanks, I GOT THE JOB! They want me to work ASAP. I picked up the Studio Insider and CityWalk Street Scene on my way out, hehe. Basically newsletters. Studio Insider features the House of Horror Maze.
    Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast