Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Universal opening up the checkbook

Screamscape:
    Universal Orlando is about to pull out the checkbook for over $120 million in capital improvements over the next year to offset declining attendance according to the companies latest SEC filing. In past filings the resort has only spent $41 million in 2006 and $30 million in 2005 so this is quite significant. They admit $15-$20 million of it will go to maintenance of existing rides, but that still leaves about $100 million for new attractions such as the rumored Simpsons and Harry Potter attractions...

So let the rumours begin on what possible new attractions could be in the works to boost attendance,and what existing attractions or areas could do with the $15-$20 million investment!

Personally I think Universal Studios could do with its own theatre to host boardway style shows,like it does in Japan with Wicked,especially after the suscess of the Finding Nemo Musical at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    Last edited by Malin; 04-07-2007 at 10:31 AM.

• May the F=ma be with you

Re: Universal opening up the checkbook

Good thing they did this..
    They need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Universal Orlando Pumping $120 Mill Into 2007 New E-Tickets / Refurbs

The lions share of a $120 Million capital outlay will be applied to new attractions. Could this mean that Islands of Adventure will finally get it's Jurassic Park EMV-type jeep thrill ride, and/or a dyno themed inverted linear coaster? Or, on the Studios side, is Harry Potter on the way...or a Simpsons make over like the one going in at USH?

Wonder if competition from WDW is primarily at the root of Universals attendance /profit woes? So many questions? Only one certainty... I'm delighted that the company is getting off it's butt and embarking on some major attraction ventures.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Universal Orlando Pumping $120 Mill Into 2007 New E-Tickets / Refurbs

I've already started a post discussing it,can a mod please join the two together please.

This is fantastic news. Here is hoping they can put the money to good use in several new attractions.

I am sure Disney has put a lot of pressure on Universal with it's ability to strand guests on the WDW Resort straight from the airport. However when you take into consideration that Universal's only addition to IOA is the Suess Monorail thing since opening then you get a real picture of what is happening at the resort.

I was worried about Universal Orlando when the new owners took over. It's nice to see they are not thinking about closing the resort or simply letting it decline into oblivion.

• ...TWO BITS!

We all know something is going to USF's BTTF. I bet the rest of that $$ goes towards the rumored items for IOA's Lost Contenient. Actually, I hope they keep TLC name & theme and just have a sub-land for Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter. Not sure how much land can be used for the Flying Unicorn and around the land.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Let hope GE can do something. They are suppose to be all about techology. Of course, it doesn't help that Universal has been through a ton of owners in a short period of time. Seagrams to Vivindai to GE. lol.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Personally I think Universal Studios could do with its own theatre to host boardway style shows,like it does in Japan with Wicked,especially after the suscess of the Finding Nemo Musical at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    They will have their own theatre... the former Nickelodeon Studios building. Blue Man Group is going to be doing performances there starting in June I believe.

• She was sweet as a peach

It just doesn't seem like a lot of money to me. Not for building a new super great attraction.

Now if it was personally my money-yes, I think it is a lot!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    This is fantastic news. Here is hoping they can put the money to good use in several new attractions.

I am sure Disney has put a lot of pressure on Universal with it's ability to strand guests on the WDW Resort straight from the airport. However when you take into consideration that Universal's only addition to IOA is the Suess Monorail thing since opening then you get a real picture of what is happening at the resort.

I was worried about Universal Orlando when the new owners took over. It's nice to see they are not thinking about closing the resort or simply letting it decline into oblivion.
    GE is more commited to it's investments than many companies these days...not just a one night stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Let hope GE can do something. They are suppose to be all about techology. Of course, it doesn't help that Universal has been through a ton of owners in a short period of time. Seagrams to Vivindai to GE. lol.
    Let's hope the new ride(s) generate enough of an attendance increase to incourage even latger capital enfusions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They will have their own theatre... the former Nickelodeon Studios building. Blue Man Group is going to be doing performances there starting in June I believe.
    The Blue Man Group is one of the world's premier performances. I'm giddy at the thought of seeing this show in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
    It just doesn't seem like a lot of money to me. Not for building a new super great attraction.

Now if it was personally my money-yes, I think it is a lot!
    If you some how end up with Universal's bankroll, would you float me a loan?

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Realize that the 120 includes buying the rights to properties, as in the Simpsons (the rumored replacement for BTTF:TR) which will fetch a pretty penny. My guess is that it will finance the new Simpsons ride and some general "paint and oil up" fix ups for other rides.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Realize that the 120 includes buying the rights to properties, as in the Simpsons (the rumored replacement for BTTF:TR) which will fetch a pretty penny. My guess is that it will finance the new Simpsons ride and some general "paint and oil up" fix ups for other rides.

Yeah. In the corporate world, $120 mil isn't as mush as it sounds. But, it's a good start...and it's fun to dream of a positive Universal future.

Mummy was built with $40 million. Food for thought.

• "There's always my way"

that $120 million is definitely going towards the BTTF replacement. I would like to see them do something to Islands of Adventures. It's approaching it's 10th year and yet the park hasn't made any new major additions. I welcome the rumored Harry Potter overlay. That area and Jurassic Park needs something as they are both filled with empty spaces all around. It'd be nice they started to replace some more older rides. ET must go along with the disaster of Twister.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• Banned User

Are we sure its only $120 million and are we sure that 15-20 is going to maintanance?

I don't think $120 mil will be able to cover a whole lot...certainly not a Simpsons ride AND Harry Potter land PLUS other stuff.

You'll only get one or the other or the other.

The only other thing I can think of is taht right now there allocating $120 mil but they plan to add more money soon for other upcoming attractions.

They should build attractions around charecters from Halo and Hellboy. But I think they lost the rights to the movie adaption of HALO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast