• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

USH's enhanced 'VIP Experience'

Universal Studios Hollywood's Enhanced
    'VIP Experience,' Combines Private Guided
    Theme Park Adventure With Unprecedented
    Behind-the-Scenes Access to
    'The Entertainment Capital of L.A.'

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., April 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal StudiosHollywood has raised the bar for its star-treatment "VIP Experience,"granting limited parties of guests expanded behind-the-scenes access to previously "off-limits" areas of the famed Hollywood dream factory, pampering them with an elegant continental breakfast at a VIP Lounge, offering unlimited food service at favorite theme park locations and ushering them to the front of the line at such world famous attractions as "Revenge of the Mummy -- The Ride" and "Jurassic Park -- The Ride."

The additional access to key Studio production areas now allows "VIP Experience" guests the opportunity to see the machinery of the filmmaking process in its entirety, including sound stages and standing sets, post-production bays and craft support facilities, as well an up-close view of an authentic Academy Awards(R) Oscar(R) statuette.

Guests are steered through the famed studio's movie lot in groups of no more than 15 persons and travel aboard comfortable trolleys designed to provide them with an optimal view of every facet of the studio. VIP Guides, armed with an encyclopedic knowledge of the studio's history as well its current production schedule, provide a personalized commentary.

Created by the Studio as a perk for its stars and business associates,the "VIP Experience" has been a favorite of celebrities ranging from European sovereigns to Hollywood royalty. Only in recent years, in response to growing demand for a "luxury" studio experience, has the program been offered to the public and never before with these new enhancements. The new additions to the program -- which extend the all-day "VIP Experience" by nearly two hours -- include a private tour of the production facility where movie set and scenic design as well as lighting techniques are created. Guests now have a chance to observe film and television sets in the early phases of construction and also get an illuminating glimpse atthe complexities of set lighting design.

A tour of the world's only fully functioning "Production House" located on a remote part of the backlot will involve guests in another facet of the movie making process by showcasing the use of a practical house, constructed for the sole purpose of accommodating entire film cast and crews in a real house environment.

The immersive experience also includes a visit to Universal's famed Property Warehouse, situated in the heart of the studio's backlot. Built in1915, the "Prop House" is the largest of its kind in the world. A 100,000 square-foot, three-story facility, the "Prop House" contains an eclectic assemblage of more than 400,000 items representing virtually every set dressing and handheld article required for any movie across time the world over. Miles of aisles inside the Property Warehouse reveal a limitless collection of furniture, draperies, kitchen supplies, statues, musical instruments, jewelry, weapons and more. The "VIP Experience" also introduces guests to the intricacies of filmand television sound post-production with a behind-the-scenes tour of the Studio's Sound Department where they will observe various techniques applied in dubbing, sound mixing, ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement) and Foley sound effects.
    http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-09-2007 at 08:04 AM.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: USH's enhanced 'VIP Experience'

Thanks for the scoop!

We just did the VIP Tour last December (we've done quite a few of them over the years, this one was the latest), and with the exception of the sound stage/Foley effects, and the "unlimited food service", (we did have the breakfast in the VIP Lounge though) it sounds just like the one that we took.

Our "production house" was the cabin originally from The Great Outdoors. It has also been used in Coach, Dream-On (remember that HBO show???), and of course, the now infamous Desperate Housewives (as well as other shows).

They also have one of those houses on Wisteria Lane. The one at the end of the street.

In earlier years, we used to be able to go inside the sound effects bldg. We also actually did go into the room where the orchestra adds music to the film sequences. That was way too cool!

We HIGHLY recommend the VIP Tour to anyone that wants the ultimate that USH has to offer.

Enjoy!

• FastPass n00b

If I have to ask, I can't afford it?

Sounds like fun though, they should do this since, after all, they are a movie studio and not a theme park like they keep wanting to make it. Even if it was a theme park, it's a movie-themed park so it still should be done. Excellent stuff!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Thanks for the scoop!

We just did the VIP Tour last December (we've done quite a few of them over the years, this one was the latest), and with the exception of the sound stage/Foley effects, and the "unlimited food service", (we did have the breakfast in the VIP Lounge though) it sounds just like the one that we took.

Our "production house" was the cabin originally from The Great Outdoors. It has also been used in Coach, Dream-On (remember that HBO show???), and of course, the now infamous Desperate Housewives (as well as other shows).

They also have one of those houses on Wisteria Lane. The one at the end of the street.

In earlier years, we used to be able to go inside the sound effects bldg. We also actually did go into the room where the orchestra adds music to the film sequences. That was way too cool!

We HIGHLY recommend the VIP Tour to anyone that wants the ultimate that USH has to offer.

Enjoy!
    I love that movie "The Great Outdoors", I'd give almost anything to see that cabin! I remember when it first came out and I saw it in the theater, no one could do that type of humor better than John Candy. I didn't realize that was the cabin they used in Coach, looking back on it, it really did resemble that cabin, but they did an excellent job redressing it because I barely can recognize it. Usually these buildings are much smaller in real life than they look on film. Filmmakers use a lot of clever angles, lenses and lighting to make some place look way bigger. The interesting thing is that cameras take in much less visual information at one time than the human eye so pretty much everything looks bigger just by default, without all the clever tricks. I mean, even at a 2.35 ratio it's just not possible to fully recreate the field of vision of a person in real life.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 04-11-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Yeah, The Great outdoors is one of our favorite movies as well.

I know the guy that did the water-ski stunts during the "tour of the lake" that John Candy did behind the "Suck My Wake" ski boat.

They filmed most of the exterior shots up at Bass Lake, which is just east of Fresno near the south entrance to Yosemite.

We vacation there twice a year. Beautiful lake!

The Pine's Resort/Ducey's at the Lake, is one of the resorts that they filmed at (the launch ramp scene and other exterior shots). The Pine's Bar is right there too. That is the bar where Dan A. and John C. met the "skunk" haired guy that got hit by lightning 66 times.

Too funny!
    Last edited by PirateMickey; 04-11-2007 at 08:49 AM.

• Banned User

we did this couple of years ago. they didn't do the coach house but we saw the sets from crossing jordan. and they also didn't have the unlimitted food for the day. we saw the oscar and we went by the sound buildings but didn't go in. that would be cool, and going through the prop warehouse was like going through a huge garage sale. It's amazing the stuff they have in there. things you would consider junk, just think rows and rows of it. but then you never know when you need something for a set.

I got an email from USH today.

$199 per person for the enhanced VIP Tour. It was $149, but now it includes the all-you-can-eat pass, as well as the other benefits (including an AP that is good through the rest of the year).

Good deal.