A new park to visit.

I am planning on taking a trip in October to visit a new non-Disney or Universal park, any ideas? I have Max Air Pass to all of the Cedair Parks but want to do something different. Is the Mall of America's theme park any good or Lego Land?

• All you need is LOVE

Re: A new park to visit.

I like universal. What are you looking to do Rides or sight see ??

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
    I like universal. What are you looking to do Rides or sight see ??
    I would to see something new and unique. Coasters, dark ride, something creative in the park.

2 thoughts:
    If you haven't been before (and since you have a maxx pass), a 2-3 day weekend at Cedar Point would be in order. (Stay on-site too!) Especially with Halloween you'd have a great time. Very different from Disney, and it's truely coaster Mecca.

On a different side, though not next door to each other on the map, there is Kennywood, Knoebels, and Holiday World. My favorite 3 traditional parks in the world. (Between them probably 4 or 5 of my top 5 coasters out of 400+ ridden, too!) You could hit the first 2 over a long weekend. Not sure if HW is still open in Oct., though....can't remember (plus it's pretty far away comapred to the others). Knoebels is about as far removed from Disney as you can get.

Forgive the shameless plug, but check out photos of each park and it's coasters at my site, www.coastergallery.com

(For better suggestions, what parks have you been to? Willing to travel any where in the country? I'd be happy to make suggestions....I've been to all the parks listed on the front page of my site)

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

I would highly recomend a trip to:

Cedar Point Sandusky, OH: America's Rockin Roller Coast, home to the most roller coasters in the world including a 400, 300 and 200 footer. My favorite amusement park out there. Their Halloweekends are also well done, most of their scare actors are in midway sections pumped full of fog you can go through without a line. As a bonus, the park is open until midnight Friday and Saturday night. But be aware that the park runs only half of their rides on Friday night, Saturday is packed (you will not be able to do everything) and Sunday since the park is only open until 8 has only limited Halloween attractions open. As a bonus this is free with your CF Maxx Pass.

Kennywood Pittsburgh, PA: This amazing park is like a living museum of the golden era amusment park industry, within its borders are two John Miller Coasters, a Noah's Ark, the Kangroo, Racing Cars, and Turtle all of which are must rides. For more modern thrills the park has Exterminator (indoor spinning mouse coaster) and the Phantom's Revenge, a 220 foot coaster that plunges down a ravine with its big drop being its second hill and has some wicked airtime. They also have a well respected Halloween event, but I have never been.

Busch Gardens Europe: My favorite park that does not have the word "Disney" in it by a long shot. Think World Showcase with roller coasters and youll get the basic idea. While this park only sports a coaster count of five, every single one of them is a great ride youll want to ride again (3 of them Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot and Griffon are home runs.) Their Hallo-o-Scream is also a lot of fun, their mazes are very well done (be sure to do Curse of Pompeii my favorite its themed as an Indiana Jonesesque haunted temple) and their shows (particularly the one in Ireland) are pure fun (for the less scary aspects of Halloween.)

Universal Orlando: Im sure I dont need to describe those parks to you, but I will add that their Halloween Horror Nights are supposed to be the most hard core immersive Halloween events in the industry. Someday Ill hit the park at this time and then go and experience WDW's Halloween celeberation (I love trick or treating and scary aspects to Halloween equally.)
    Last edited by Touchdown; 04-09-2007 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    I would highly recomend a trip to:

Cedar Point Sandusky, OH: America's Rockin Roller Coast, home to the most roller coasters in the world including a 400, 300 and 200 footer. My favorite amusement park out there. Their Halloweekends are also well done, most of their scare actors are in midway sections pumped full of fog you can go through without a line. As a bonus, the park is open until midnight Friday and Saturday night. But be aware that the park runs only half of their rides on Friday night, Saturday is packed (you will not be able to do everything) and Sunday since the park is only open until 8 has only limited Halloween attractions open. As a bonus this is free with your CF Maxx Pass.

Kennywood Pittsburgh, PA: This amazing park is like a living museum of the golden era amusment park industry, within its borders are two John Miller Coasters, a Noah's Ark, the Kangroo, Racing Cars, and Turtle all of which are must rides. For more modern thrills the park has Exterminator (indoor spinning mouse coaster) and the Phantom's Revenge, a 220 foot coaster that plunges down a ravine with its big drop being its second hill and has some wicked airtime. They also have a well respected Halloween event, but I have never been.

Busch Gardens Europe: My favorite park that does not have the word "Disney" in it by a long shot. Think World Showcase with roller coasters and youll get the basic idea. While this park only sports a coaster count of five, every single one of them is a great ride youll want to ride again (3 of them Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot and Griffon are home runs.) Their Hallo-o-Scream is also a lot of fun, their mazes are very well done (be sure to do Curse of Pompeii my favorite its themed as an Indiana Jonesesque haunted temple) and their shows (particularly the one in Ireland) are pure fun (for the less scary aspects of Halloween.)

Universal Orlando: Im sure I dont need to describe those parks to you, but I will add that their Halloween Horror Nights are supposed to be the most hard core immersive Halloween events in the industry. Someday Ill hit the park at this time and then go and experience WDW's Halloween celeberation (I love trick or treating and scary aspects to Halloween equally.)
    Thank everybody for the input and comments. I have been to Universal Orlando, Kennywood, and Cedar Point. I usually go to my home park, Kings Island. Right now the plan is to go to Carolwinds or Kings Domain, and a new park that I have not been to before.

P.S.

TDLFan keep talking about this coaster at the Mall of America. Is this park any good? I know that they are changing to a Nick theme to replace Camp Snoopy.
    Last edited by Monkey joe; 04-09-2007 at 08:01 PM.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Thank everybody for the input and comments. I have been to Universal Orlando, Kennywood, and Cedar Point. I usually go to my home park, Kings Island. Right now the plan is to go to Carolwinds or Kings Domain, and a new park that I have not been to before.

P.S.

TDLFan keep talking about this coaster at the Mall of America. Is this park any good? I know that they are changing to a Nick theme to replace Camp Snoopy.

The Park @ MOA has two coasters actually (and is in the early stages of building a 3) one is a Verkoma Roller Skater, the Pepsi Ripsaw which is really tame but I like it for the sentimental value it has. The other is a Spining Mouse, Timberline Twister, quite fun but I wouldnt travel up there just for that (of course Valleyfair another CF park is right there.)

As for your fall trip if KD is high on your list for a park you want to visit (and it is fun park) I highly suggest doing a combo with Busch Gardens Europe (see my explanation above.) They are litterally less then an hour away from each other.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Paul Bunyan's Log Chute is my favorite attraction at MOA. And FYI, the Camp Snoopy theme has been gone for a while now. It has some fun stuff, but I wouldn't make a special trip just to see it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Paul Bunyan's Log Chute is my favorite attraction at MOA. And FYI, the Camp Snoopy theme has been gone for a while now. It has some fun stuff, but I wouldn't make a special trip just to see it.
    Agreed. As much as I love the Park at MOA and the MOA itself - unless you're visiting the Twin Cities for other reasons I wouldn't make a trip JUST to go to the park unless you're a family (especially with younger kids) and live only a few hours away.

Valleyfair is in Minnesota and is a Cedar Fair park. That park is nice and actually is quite clean and well kept. I can't say much about other parks, but that park is nice even though a lot of the rides are too thrilling for me.

Choose Kings Dominion...why....because maybe you could pair it up with Knoebels for a 2 park weekend Knoebels is a truely unique and amazing place. There's more charm in one sidewalk brick there then in a whole Six Flags park (or even Cedar Fair sometimes)

I personally would not make a trip to the MOA just for the park. The rest of the mall doesn't do anything for me (except for the nice aquarium). I don't need to visit 4 different Yankee Candle stores and 3 of this store and that store, etc.. My mall has one too But, if you can go on a weekend where you could also go to Valleyfair it might be nice because of Renegade. The rest of Valleyfair is like a small Cedar Point. It is nice, but since you've been to the best, this will seem like Cedar Point's little cousin.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

^Knoebels isnt open in October though.

Looks like your right. I swear I've been the first weekend in Oct. before, but maybe it was late September. (for Phoenix Phall Phunfest)

If you're a King's Island regular there are many similarities between it and Kings Dominion. I'd choose someplace totally different like Hershy or Busch Europe if you're in the region.

What does Vallyfair have to offer?

P.S.

Thank you everyboy for their input. Right now it looks like Carolwinds, Kings Domain, and a third park to be decided. I am going to Vegas, Disneyland, and L.A. in May. I would like to go to Knotts but don't have time.

• Dreaming of Disney World

Busch Gardens Europe(its not in europe though its in williamsburg, virginia) is my favorite non-disney park. There is Curse of Darkastle(which is better than spiderman to me) and 5 really good coasters(Griffon opens this summer). Also it is considered the most beautiful park in the world which i disagree with(i think the Disney parks are just in another league) but still very beautiful. Busch Gardens also has some good shows and there coasters wind in and out of trees and are not ugly like alot of coasters you see at ceder fair parks. My favorite roller coaster in the world is at BGE to-Apollos Chariot. It has a great first drop. Busch Gardens Europe has also received best park in the world honors from themeparkinsider.com .
    Look for me on Facebook: Tyler Keith Lee Tew

For all Disney News when it happens, follow DisneyverseNews at www.twitter.com/DisneyverseNews

Hey "Smokey Joe"!

Whatever park you decide to visit, some time include Knoebels as they are a true classic park with great coasters and some time this year they should be ready to open their version of the classic Flying Turns. You mentioned coming to L.A. in May. If you are an ACE member, Six Flags Magic Mountain is having an ACE Day Saturday, May 12. You get ERT on Tatsu, X, and Deja Vu, picnic lunch, and run of the place until 10 P.M. For ACE members it is only $35.

"Glowman" John