Thread: Gibson at USH

• ...TWO BITS!

Gibson at USH

Anyone know when the Gibson contract will be up for Universal's Amphitheater? Just curious. Speaking of which, how is it that Universal decided to retheme Van Helsing maze because their rights to it expired, but they made the movie?? Is it the character being licensed to them?? THANKS

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: Gibson at USH

pssst - van helsing was a universal movie from the get-go made by their favorite man stephen sommers (the mummy guy?). so, i don't think it was a case of the licensing running out (i.e. comic book stuff, etc). i think it was more of the case that hardly anyone went to it and it just needed to be revamped. it was slowly declining while i worked there - the busy times would always be when waterworld would be over.

gibson, i believe, only recently acquired the ampitheatre rights. because when i began to work at ush at the beginning of 2004, it was still universal's property. i believe the switch happened - when HOB bought them, around 2005. coastermatt might have more details on that.

imo - the maze worked better as a themed restaurant. i mean, first it was 'the mummy' - then that got its own roller coaster, and now van helsing is gone. sigh. when will ush learn??
    kingdom hearts <3er

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Anyone know when the Gibson contract will be up for Universal's Amphitheater?
    Universal Amphitheatre Takes Gibson’s Name

Apr 18, 2005 6:28 PM,
    By Mix Editors

Gibson Guitar Corp. has announced a joint partnership with Universal Studios and House of Blues Concerts to rename the Universal Amphitheatre “The Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal Citywalk” in a deal that calls for an overall strategic partnership, encompassing the venue, themed areas and sales and marketing programs.

Universal Studios Partnerships represented Universal Studios in the 10-year deal with Gibson Guitar.

“Virtually every star in every musical genre has played the Universal Amphitheatre at some point and virtually every single musical star of today and yesterday has made magical music with Gibson Guitar,” said Henry Juszkiewicz, chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar Corp. “The partnership and musical history of our entertainment icons made perfect sense to take to the next level.”

For more information, please go to www.gibson.com, www.universalstudios.com and www.hob.com.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• ...TWO BITS!

kickcows, I know they made the movie. That's why I mentioned it in the OP. But there have been other sites that said the rights were expired. That's why I'm asking. Cause it doesn't make any darn sense. thestudiotour.com and insideuniversal.net are great fansites.

Thanks, ALIASd! So we got like 8 more years until the venue can be relocated and the Amphitheater site goes back to theme park use (at least that's according to The Vision Plan, which I like this part).

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

kickcows, I know they made the movie. That's why I mentioned it in the OP. But there have been other sites that said the rights were expired. That's why I'm asking. Cause it doesn't make any darn sense. thestudiotour.com and insideuniversal.net are great fansites.

Thanks, ALIASd! So we got like 8 more years until the venue can be relocated and the Amphitheater site goes back to theme park use (at least that's according to The Vision Plan, which I like this part).
    The Universal Amphitheatre opened in 1972. Don't see Universal giving up a major onsite venue that generates so much revenue, particularly for special events and private rental.

With regards to the 'Van Helsing' questions.
    Universal payed for usage rights for the film, game, theme park attraction, etc. Everything is dependent upon the individual deal has an expiration date. Had the film done far better than it did ( and was expected to do ) they might've built in more time for USH.

At the original pre-production presentation given in the Alfred Hitchcock Theatre on the lot which I attended director Stephen Sommers had his heart set on a series of 'Van Helsing'-type films featuring other Universal famous Monsters. 'V.H.'s performance and reception changed all that.

Hope this has helped.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• ...TWO BITS!

^ According to THE VISION PLAN there will be a new revenue built southeast of the Gibson. Right now I think it's a backstage parking lot. And it'd be closer to CityWalk access. Right where the future Sky Venture is. And essentially exactly where I proposed a new venue before I looked into more details about this plan. Then the Gibson would be relieved of its duties and be used for the park. Either a total demo or new show. I think there's enough room to build 2 attractions.

Thanks for the VH answer. Kind of interesting there was talk before of Universal using robocoasters to make a VH attraction. So does anyone really know who owns the rights to the VH character? I actually enjoyed VH. It was a good popcorn flick. And the LOVE the music!

I bet Sommers was planning to have an Invisible Man if he was able to make a sequel. Don't know about The Mummy. That'd be just a little awkward

-Jurassic Park

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks for the VH answer. Kind of interesting there was talk before of Universal using robocoasters to make a VH attraction. So does anyone really know who owns the rights to the VH character?
    Probably by whoever owns the rights to 'Bram Stoker's Dracula'.

wow.

you learn something new every day.

thanks aliasd!!!
    kingdom hearts <3er

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

A pleasure.

• Freakster

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not about rights to the character (isn't that public domain now?) - it's rights to the creative interpretation of the character. I imagine Sommers negotiated ownership of that.

Similar to the fact that I could go out and build a Snow White attraction, but I couldn't build a "Disney Snow White" attraction.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by ekester View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, it's not about rights to the character (isn't that public domain now?) - it's rights to the creative interpretation of the character. I imagine Sommers negotiated ownership of that.

Similar to the fact that I could go out and build a Snow White attraction, but I couldn't build a "Disney Snow White" attraction.
    From what I was told by a Universal rep at the time the rights were in fact held by some entity. This was partly the reason for creating a different "Van Helsing" character Gabriel, rather than Stoker's Abraham.

And good luck with your "Snow White" attraction, sounds fun!