2 50.00%
  • No

1 25.00%
  • Maybe so

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Ideas to update USH's Mummy + Questions

Question first, was there a reason why they couldn't put real flame effects inside in the first place? I think I read some where there was some kind of violation code or something.

Also, why can't you see your ride photo anymore??

Theme the outdoor queue more like the desert with ancient Egyptian columns and statues. Similar look to the studio tram tour's Mummy tomb (which should get a facelift). The tent shades should be like an explorer's tent. The side of the pink queue building could be more of a themed Egyptian stone structure ruins. Exit bridge themed to wooden scaffolding. metal queue bars inside themed to wood. GET RID OF THOSE USELESS EXTENDED QUEUES TO THE SIDE OF THE SHOW BUILDING ON THE EAST SIDE. JUST USE THE QUEUE ON THE SOUTH SIDE. Add indoor queue themeing to the southeast. That includes what's under the roof infront of the "tomb" entrance. Move the "tomb" entrance so the Express & single rider line is still on the left and tomb entrance on the right (essentially left of the current car display. I hope that made some sense) Move the car display near the mummy shop. A booby trap or two could be added. One could be "Don't touch the rope", once touched, a crate above you almost falls right on top of you. Touch one of the sacred jars (the ones that have body parts in them) and the room you're in shakes like a minor earthquake. Could now also have Orlando's wooden wall & crates theme. Not sure if it was explained in the pre-show video yet, but they should say "Once Imhotep has risen from the dead within the power of the eclipse, he must sacrifice enough human victims to keep those powers...", just so it's really explained to us why he wants our souls

There could be a "wooden" doorway before you enter the ride past the load station.

Replace the 1st head nodding mummy with the Imhotep jumping AA. They could just move this mummy more in the mummy tomb section of the ride. Instead of his hand waving at a victim, he waves at you and says: "Roarr! With your souls, I shall rule for all eternity!". Instead of popping through a sarcophagus, he pops through wooden doors. Mainly because he already broke through his sarcophagus in the themed queue.

Not sure what to do with the explorer being eaten by beetles for an AA. For now, a movie projection.

The treasure room could be lit by those mirror discs. When the room is lit from the warm color to the green deathly color with the sound of cracking lighting, 1 eye-lit mummy guard from each side could pop-up vertically quickly and not just flipping them up from a horizontal position. Could add orange lit smoke effects shoot up when the mummy guards pop-up and yell. Then slowly back down in the mist to start to get ready for the next riders.

Have those two stiff (pun intended) mummy guard figures be AAs staring from Imhotep and as you enter, stare right at you as you move along. Swing their arms a bit like they're ready to smack you with their swords. Widen their mouths and groar. Blinking glowing eyes. Going along with the movie projection behind Imhotep, have collapsing /shaking columns at your side. In Orlando's version, after the jumping AA, there's a part where the walls light up to the treasure room. Add that in here with the Imhotep AA room on both sides behind the shaking columns. Everytime he says the Egyptian curse words (pun intended), they light up and glow towards him (which is about twice).

Now here's a cool idea, still in the same room with Imhotep AA: Under him in the dark black tunnel, it's a sand fall (like a water fall, but with sand). And has Imhotep's face on it while he's cursing you (it may be repetitive from the treasure room, though). When you blast off, you burst through the sand fall with Imhotep's mouth wide open. The effect is accomplished with the use of fogscreens, like in Disney's recent Pirates of the Caribbean update for the Davy Jones effect. Or after every few rides that pass through, it can change to a waterfall. Makes it seem random for repeat riders. The sandfall can refer to the 1st movie and the water fall refer to the 2nd movie. In Orlando's there are colorful strobe effects before you launch, maybe add that during Hollywood's launch, if it's not already there... even though you're blinded by the photography light, it wouldn't be too much trouble.

In the beginning of the coaster track, Imhotep says: "Welcome, TO THE UNDERWORLD!" Just so people can actually GET the idea of where they went and why this dark coaster section. Maybe have the blacklit artwork be movie projected? Instead of being still, they can actually move around. But this might produce more light inside the coaster section. If that's the cause, the blacklit artwork is fine.

Before the beetles, you pass through an effect found in Orlando's version. You see an animated Imhotep(?) head that widens its mouth and you pass through a green-lit section. You enter the beetle room. Move the current blacklit character elsewhere in the coaster.

Now for the turntable ending, I have 2 ideas.

1) When you back into the turntable, SFX sounds and lights are made and Imhotep says: "My powers, what is happening?!". The projected eclipse is fading away and Imhotep says: "The eclipse! NO!!".

The black hallway before you go to the load station could be themed with treasure and mining equipment, either physical props and/or wall paper. And a doorway that separates the load station and this 2nd treasure room.

2) When you back into the turntable, Imhotep exclaims: "My powers, the eclipse is over, NOO!!" And a projected Imhotep face breaks apart and fades away as you back up into place (could probably use Orlando's projection when they spin you around. Add special colored light of faces moving up and away around the black hallway. Like how Shrek 4D has those special lighting effects to the side of the screen). With the ever so charming music finale que. Relocate the blacklit character that's here elsewhere in the coaster. It looks like a load station, with the Egytian ruins theme still going on. To your left (under where the projected Imhotep face would be) is where you see the "control room". The "ride operator" says "Welcome back. Please remain seated until...AAAHHHH" operator's life sucked out of her... CRASH! BOOM! Maybe water effects to simulate glass breaking? Imhotep takes over the controls and says "Death is only the beginning! Ha ha ha ha!" while you spin (keeping the current music) around and flames emerge above you. Pump hot air in the room. Then smoke/flames POOF at you.
    The black hallway could use some stone wall themeing and maybe mining equipment props.

EDIT: Perhaps in this converted hallway, have a mirror hanging above our heads (same theme as the pre-show video). It looks like one of those "See your photos and purchase at the store" type of things. But either in video or still photo, it morphs/transitions to a group of skeletons riding the attraction, either from the ride-photo camera or real time as your going through the hallway. OR when you briefly see your ride photo, it transitions to the group of skeletons riding the attraction. Imhotep: "Now you shall walk among the living... as the undead! (satisfied grunt).

Continue the Egyptian theme through the exit hallway. If the House of Horrors got rid of their popping up mummy from behind the cage, use it here before going outside. Perhaps have video screens for your ride photo here as well. Flat screen TVs, baby!! Along 1 side of the Mummy wall mural. Should probably have 1 new mural that reflects Mummy 1 & 2. And soon 3.

PS- I prefer the coaster ride music of Hollywood's version compared to what is used in Orlando's version.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 04-30-2007 at 06:22 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: Ideas to update USH's Mummy + Questions

REVISED:

The above I would call more of a facelift. The following is more physical and add to the ride time.

As you go backwards into the turntable, it's still the same ride as now (no changes). Following the remodel of the turntable room for the fake load station, Imhotep moves his arm like HE's in control of your ride and the table spins RIGHT for 270 degrees. I know there's a backstage track at what guests would see. So this would have to be themed more heavily. Continue the load station on fire effect. While turning Imhotep from inside the control booth disappears leaving the static of secruity cameras behind. The tunnel infront of you (facing more INTO the show building) has the fogscreen effect of sand or water Imhotep (meaning the sand/water effect after the treasure room can be replaced with an effect similar to EPCOT's Test Track where it looks like you'll slam into a wall. For Mummy, it'll look like you'll slam into a stone wall.) So you pass through the fogscreen slowly into a launch (perhaps on an incline launch. But I think I read somewhere that Hollywood's version couldn't do it for some safety reason). Anyways, you launch forward into more coaster track. This will have more bunny hills and tighter turns to navigate through the rest of the coaster track (which means more negative Gs on hills and more positive Gs on turns, I think). Basically the coaster will interlock (sp?) with the other track, like a twister (ala Rock n Roller Coaster)/head chopper roller coaster. Then you return to a brake where the current dark hallway is. This is where the new dome effect will take place with Imhotep's "My powers... The eclipse is over! NOOO!!!!" Maybe include the glowing wall effect here with the dome. Maybe from Imhotep's mouth, he blows smoke/flames at riders.

Forgot to mention about the 1st launch track that is just north of the load station and turntable. SO, I would think if this part of the ride would come true, during the turntable spin, it would at the same time have to be vertically elevated so the car can launch OVER the 1st launch. But it would be similar to when the car moves out of the bug room, that sort of launch and then goes down a dip to gain more speed. Then when the car finally arrives for the load station, it may be elevated down with the dome projection over head and may have to also spin around. Also with the fire/smoke effect, so a quick "Tower of Terror"-like drop could be used. And here can still have the fake ride-photo effect before the load station.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 04-30-2007 at 02:42 PM.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Circle of Ancients

No Facelift. Take it out, make a bigger building and put in USF's mummy. THEN it will be good.

Not sure why they couldn't use the flame effects. Smaller building?

• ...TWO BITS!

^ So you want to make a complete clone, but not just any clone. You'd like to flatten the whole darn thing...

I'm glad Universal couldn't make a carbon copy. Just because Florida's is bigger, doesn't make it better... Look at Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom... Besides, how are you gonna make the building any bigger... They could have dug deeper inside the structure...

But essentially I'm still adding effects from Orlando's version into Hollywood, AND THEN SOME. There are a couple people that have already expressed they like Hollywood's version better because YOU CAN ACTUALLY FOLLOW THE STORY... Brendan Fraser yelling for his coffee at the end of a roller coaster dark ride...??

Anyways, I'm revising the 2nd post.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 04-30-2007 at 02:55 PM.

-Jurassic Park

Just because Florida's is bigger, doesn't make it better...
    Unless you enjoy rides that are too short ... yeah, it kinda does. I mean, Florida's is by no means a long experience but you'll miss Hollywood's if you blink. Besides, if you didn't think Florida's was better, why use so many of it's effects in your "ideas" for changing Hollywood's?

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

They couldn't use fire in Hollywood because of building codes.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Just because Florida's is bigger, doesn't make it better...
    It's not better JUST because it's bigger. It's Bigger so therefore it allowed it to be better.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    They couldn't use fire in Hollywood because of building codes.
    Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Unless you enjoy rides that are too short ... yeah, it kinda does. I mean, Florida's is by no means a long experience but you'll miss Hollywood's if you blink. Besides, if you didn't think Florida's was better, why use so many of it's effects in your "ideas" for changing Hollywood's?
    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It's not better JUST because it's bigger. It's Bigger so therefore it allowed it to be better.
    Not even CLOSE to my point... sigh...

JtnOrl, think of it as a badly edited film. sir clinksalot, think of it as a big-budget summer film that terribly bombed at the box office.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 04-30-2007 at 10:33 PM.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Instead of using real flames for the ceiling, probably use CGI projection. And blast hot air inside the room. They blast hot air at guests inside Backdraft... and it's quite hot in hell at Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

-Jurassic Park

• Minion

^

I'm glad Universal couldn't make a carbon copy. Just because Florida's is bigger, doesn't make it better... Look at Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom... Besides, how are you gonna make the building any bigger... They could have dug deeper inside the structure...

Well, in this case, bigger does seem better. Honestly, I've never heard any one say the Hollywood version is better, just like I've never heard anyone say the MK version of Pirates is better than the DL one.

Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Not even CLOSE to my point... sigh...

JtnOrl, think of it as a badly edited film. sir clinksalot, think of it as a big-budget summer film that terribly bombed at the box office.
    Okay, that made no sense. What IS your point?

• ...TWO BITS!

This is NOT a discussion about which ROTM is better. It's about improving the Hollywood version. And that CAN involve Orlando's effects. But those effects would be "edited" elsewhere within Hollywood's version. Meaning to put them in a different sequence than how it is presented in Orlando. This is in hopes of making the story stronger and ride experience better. But I AM adding new elements into the ride. And that includes the vertical lift. In this case, I don't think I've heard of an attraction that puts a turntable spinning while also at the same time operated in a vertical lift.

-Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I went on this ride twice last night. And well... I think it's just a lost cause to dress up this attraction more than it is. Because the surrounding areas just don't support the need for a facelift. You have Jurassic Park across the way.... which is jungle. Across is a desert themed Mummy. It's just too contrasty.

And the ride itself is fun, intense, sickening, scary... it's all of those things but i think improvements needed to be made in the (what they call a) story.

The worst part about the ride is the glow in the dark spooks. That entire area of the ride could be a lot better.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Because the surrounding areas just don't support the need for a facelift. You have Jurassic Park across the way.... which is jungle. Across is a desert themed Mummy. It's just too contrasty.

The worst part about the ride is the glow in the dark spooks. That entire area of the ride could be a lot better.
    I don't understand the "surrounding areas don't support for a facelift". The "contrasty" I thought about for a while as well. But here's my thought: IT'S HOLLYWOOD. You can look at one thing infront of you, turn around and you're in a whole different set. The sets are only built what the camera needs to see. So really, the "contrasty" works. This is a Hollywood production. It's not really meant to be entirely immersive like Disneyland. Disneyland you're transported into the immersive land. In USH, you can be on many types of different sets in day. Like the tram guide used to say: "We just transported you from the depths of the sea to the surface of the moon". Bottom line, it's Hollywood magic. Just a different kind of magic compared to Disney.

And because of the limited space in USH, it works. USF however has more room to be immersive and have distinct lands. So the contrasts between the west and east coast parks could be different enough to warrant separate vacation trips to each.

What exactly would you do to improve the coaster part of the Mummy ride?

-Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I don't understand the "surrounding areas don't support for a facelift". The "contrasty" I thought about for a while as well. But here's my thought: IT'S HOLLYWOOD. You can look at one thing infront of you, turn around and you're in a whole different set. The sets are only built what the camera needs to see. So really, the "contrasty" works. This is a Hollywood production. It's not really meant to be entirely immersive like Disneyland. Disneyland you're transported into the immersive land. In USH, you can be on many types of different sets in day. Like the tram guide used to say: "We just transported you from the depths of the sea to the surface of the moon". Bottom line, it's Hollywood magic. Just a different kind of magic compared to Disney.

It's hollywood so no need to finish the illusion. The illusion is what's inside the building. I know I know... I don't like it either but for this kind of theme park that has half baked ideas all over the place, it really wouldn't make me like the ride any better: because the ride is still not the greatest (regardless of what florida has). For even a5 minute wait, I think twice about riding.

E.T. was great and what the park needs. I don't see why they saw the need to replace it. (don't answer that... i know why the replaced it. I just don't agree with it)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast