• Hiding in the shadows

USH with Small Children

I haven't really been to USH since the Battlestar Gallatica portion was taken out (yes I am old). Now technically I was there in October for the Clipper Season Ticket Holder Party, but we only went on Back to the Future because my friend was tehre and he built some of the props.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to go June 10th with my company for $10 a person. I have a 21 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. It seemed last time I was there that a lot of the attractions were not great for small children. Is there enough to do for them and if so can you please make some suggestions.

Its a Sunday so I know it will be busy, I am hoping people will flock to DL that day to try to win the YOAMD pass to ride the subs.

A little piece of heaven

• Neep meep beep

Re: USH with Small Children

We went last August with a (then) 17 month old. We took him on Shrek4D, and we both (my wife and I) went on Jurassic Park and on Mummy the Ride. The nice thing about Universal Studios Parks is that they have great baby waiting rooms next to rides that small children can't go on, so you have a "front of the line pass" for the first parent that comes back, so that the second can go without a wait, and the play rooms have themed videos and play activities for the little ones. Nothing was a problem except for the Van Helsing walk through, which seriously scared my child from the first room (we walked back out).

• Hiding in the shadows

I had no idea they had those rooms, thats so great.

Yeah actually I had forgotten about the Van Helsing Walk Thru, we actually did that when I was there too (I had totally wiped that from my brain), scared the you know what out of me.

Thanks for the info!

A little piece of heaven

• Playtester

There is a great little playground to the left of the Nick Soak area (you have to enter the area, and walk on the lefthand side). It's really nice and shaded. They keep the wet kids out of the area. There are some benches around it too. It's a nice place to let the kids run around a bit.

I also took small snacks on the studio tour- that way my 3.5 year old could eat and watch if he got ansy, and the baby slept through it most of the time. I think once even the 3 year old fell asleep too.
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

Anyway, I have the opportunity to go June 10th with my company for $10 a person. I have a 21 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. It seemed last time I was there that a lot of the attractions were not great for small children. Is there enough to do for them and if so can you please make some suggestions.

Not very much for them to do to be honest. I have a 2 year old and a 3.5 year old and we go often because we attended a similar work event and was able to buy cheap annual passes. Quick notes off the top of my head:
    • If they're into the same things as my kids, they'll enjoy seeing Dora and Diego characters just in front of the water play area. We took pics and they loved it.
    • Water area can be fun, but once they're wet it's hard to do much else.
    • They have a big tent like area next to the water section where you shoot and drop plastic balls on each other. Can be fun for a bit, but it gets fairly hot in there quickly
    • Next to this is a playground. Not too special and very similiar to most playgrounds (with no sand or swings).
    • Playground next to the water area
    • Shrek ride is probably the best bet of any of the 3D rides for the 3.5 year old, although mine was scared and we had to leave
    • Terminator 3D is an ok attraction that you could try, but the into in the lobby is REALLY long and drags, and the kids won't get the story
    • On the 2nd level they have the backdraft show, which is fairly lame, but the kids might enjoy the fire?...
    • Tram tour is about 45 minutes as I remember, so the kids could get a bit restless. Plan for this and you might be ok. The King Kong and Subway section could scare the smaller kids just a bit.
    • Special effects show is fun, but the kids won't get most of it.
    Good luck. If it's possible to leave them at home, I'd really consider it. If not, just don't plan on riding too much yourself if you don't have a spouse to help (and then you have to ride alone). We use it as a nice little getaway for the family, which basically means see Dora and get some food

Have fun either way.