• See you there!

SD Wild Animal Park May 12, 2007

We went to the San Diego Wild Animal Park on Saturday May 12, 2007. We especially wanted to see the new “Journey Into Africa” tram tour. All the things we had seen in print and from the Zoological Society web site didn’t really describe it as well as I would have liked, and we were a little apprehensive about it. We knew we liked the old monorail (Wgasa Bush Line) tour, so we had to try the new one now.

The new tour is wonderful! Great view of the animals, nice smooth ride (unlike the Killimanjaro Safari ride at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, don’t get me started on this one!) The Journey Into Africa tour lasts between 45 – 60 minutes. We had an excellent tour guide, but then they guides at the Wild Animal Park are very enthusiastic and well trained and we’ve never had a bad guide. Needless to say, we really liked the new tour.

We talked with a few of the Zoological Society folks while we were there and the said that the plan is to put an additional tour starting over where the old tour started (or somewhere there abouts) so that there will be two (2) tours. This would be great,more tours, spread the people out so that everybody will not be in one line.

Final note. For single day admissions, the tour costs $10, but it is included with ANY Zoological Society membership. So instead of paying a single day admission for two, get a Zoological Society membership for two from the same household, or now for a few dollars more you can get a membership (Diamond club) which will allow you to bring one adult guest when you go, and the membership is good for one year of admissions to BOTH the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park. We’ve been members longer than we’ve had Disneyland Annual Passes, almost 13 years. If you can afford it, join at a donor level and help the Zoological Society out even more. Memberships start at just under $100. I look around at how they spend the money and I am continually amazed and proud to be a part of the San Diego Zoological Society.

You can go here: http://www.sandiegozoo.org/membership/index.html

And check out the membership information.

Anyway, here’s some photos of our day. I took over 150 photos, I’ve included 15 here and I put 37 in an album on one of my web sites. If you want to have a look, the URL is:

http://www.anaheimtoorlando.com/sdwa...207/index.html

I am experimenting with a different album background in this album. I decided to use a black background. I think it makes the photos “pop”. If you decited to visit my album, let me know what you think, any comments much appreciated.

This is right across the tram-way from the beginning of the Journey Into Africa (new tram ride). The animals have already gotten real comfortable with the new trams.

Just after the Journey Into Africa tour started. Wow, the cheetahs sure are close, even some humans to see on the other side.

This is Ivan, he is the tallest giraffe at the Wild Animal Park at 18 feet tall. He likes to trim the trees to “Ivan height” for ease of getting a snack.

How many different animals can you see in this picture? This is one the things I like so much about the San Diego Wild Animal Park, they allow animals of different species to exist together, similar to how they would in the wild.

Resting rhinos. Did you know that rhinos cannot see very well, but they can run real fast? Now in my opinion, that is NOT a good combination. However they can hear real well, sometimes you can watch their ears turn as the tram goes by. The tour guide says they like to follow the tram to make sure they know where it is.

The primates are on an island in the “Heart of Africa” exhibit. This one is near the top of a very tall tree. I don’t see how he stays there and the branches don’t bend anymore than they do. The first time I saw these guys (years ago) I thought they looked like they were wearing vests with fringe on them.

This is just a photo of some of the wonderful scenery in the “Heart of Africa” exhibit.

Down in the “heart of Africa” they have a cheetah exhibit. This guy wanted to keep a low profile, just peeking over the grasses.

Another cheetah down at the Heart of Africa. He looks as if he is thinking “what’s going on?” (very sleepy cheetah)

The next three are form the “Lion Camp” exhibit.

“Hey look! I’m very tired but I’ll pose for just one picture! Just one!!”

“Hmmmm… Anybody got a snack? Small children are pretty good!”

“Marge this is the last time we park here! Too close to the tourists.”

“Guard duty is very serious business…”

“Let’s dig here to add on to the condo”

“I’ve been digging this condo addition all day! I’m tired”

I hope you have enjoyed he photos. So go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park already!

CU@DL (And the SD Wild Animal Park)

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 05-14-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Re: SD Wild Animal Park May 12, 2007

Awesome photos!

I second the Zoo Membership recommendation, the Society is an amazing organization.

The 2nd tram tour that is currently in planning stages will take guests through the Asian field exhibits -- to see the Indian rhinos, gaur cattle and other Asian denizens that are now only viewable through a photo caravan tour.

I had been away from the Park for about 8 months, and was surprised to see how much construction is being done. They're putting major capital into improving the park.

Also, you mentioned the WGASA Bush Railway -- did you notice that the epaulets on the tour guide's uniform have "WGASA Tours" on them? I thought it was a nice touch.

• This space for rent

Nice photos, thank you for sharing them.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerSyl View Post
    Awesome photos!

I second the Zoo Membership recommendation, the Society is an amazing organization.

The 2nd tram tour that is currently in planning stages will take guests through the Asian field exhibits -- to see the Indian rhinos, gaur cattle and other Asian denizens that are now only viewable through a photo caravan tour.

I had been away from the Park for about 8 months, and was surprised to see how much construction is being done. They're putting major capital into improving the park.

Also, you mentioned the WGASA Bush Railway -- did you notice that the epaulets on the tour guide's uniform have "WGASA Tours" on them? I thought it was a nice touch.
    RangerSyl and Baghira thanks for the kind comments about the photos.

BTW: Did anybody go the the online photo album at: http://www.anaheimtoorlando.com/sdwa...207/index.html ??
    If so, how do you like the BLACK background?

I did not notice the epaulets. But I did notice the friendly, helpful staff at the Tram Station for Journey Into Africa. Very good, professional and well trained. Very nice, lots of smiles.

One other thing I did notice was the expanded accessibility. They now have more trams (oversized golf carts to carry folks and wheelchairs) and buses to help those of us with physical challenges get around. Also, the first car in the Journey Into Africa tram is reserved folks with accessible challenges (wheelchairs and such). They can now put wheelchairs in the tram so that folks do not have to transfer if it is difficult. I really applaud them for their expanded accessibiltiy oprions.

CU@DL (and SD WAP)

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 05-15-2007 at 07:46 AM.
    -

Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post

BTW: Did anybody go the the online photo album at: http://www.anaheimtoorlando.com/sdwa...207/index.html ??
    If so, how do you like the BLACK background?
    Yes, the black background is nice - it helps focus attention onto the photos themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post

I did not notice the epaulets. But I did notice the friendly, helpful staff at the Tram Station for Journey Into Africa. Very good, professional and well trained. Very nice, lots of smiles.
    Yes, the staff at the park (and the zoo) are fantastic! I've done lots of the various programs there and always have a great time.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerSyl View Post
    Yes, the black background is nice - it helps focus attention onto the photos themselves.

Yes, the staff at the park (and the zoo) are fantastic! I've done lots of the various programs there and always have a great time.
    Thanks for the input on the new album background color. I also thought the black made the photos pop, but some folks don't like black backgrounds.

Thanks,

CU@DL

Andy
    -

Boom!

• This space for rent

I agree on the black I always like black the best, like you said they pop and I'm not distracted by the color on other albums I've viewed on various sites on the web.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Baghira View Post
    I agree on the black I always like black the best, like you said they pop and I'm not distracted by the color on other albums I've viewed on various sites on the web.

Thanks, I'll make more albums with black background.

CU@DL

Andy
    -

Boom!

• Minion

Awesome photos!!!! I want to get passes again. It has been a few years since we 've been to the park.

• Senior Minion

Looking at these pictures really makes me want to go back to SD!

• The Dudester

Great pics!

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

Great pictures! I haven't been to the wild animal park since I was about 15.. 16 years old.. OMG.. about 10 years ago..

I just made myself feel old...

Thanks for sharing those pictures.. they were awesome!

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!

You have to pay for the tram tour now? I haven't been for quite a few years now, but you never had to pay for the tram tour before, is this something different?

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Michey View Post
    You have to pay for the tram tour now? I haven't been for quite a few years now, but you never had to pay for the tram tour before, is this something different?
    Yep, something is different... It is a completely different tour, starting at a different location, and you now have to pay for the Tram tour. But, you can do that several ways:

1. Buy any membership in the San Diego Zoological Society (which included admission to the Wild Animal Park and San Diego Zoo for one year, plus other fringes)

2. Buy one of the "Extra Value" ticket packages when you buy your admission. (a good way to go if you do not buy a membership in the Zooogical Society)

3. Buy a ticket at the tram station ($10 for adults, $6 for kids, still a good price, and worth in it IMHO)

Oh, yeah, with the membership, you can ride as many times as you want, with a "Tram ticket" you get to ride once. So, a membership is the best deal.

The membership is a "Family Membership" good for like a husband and wife, a great deal, but if you can afford it, I recommend joining at one of the "Donor Club" levels which also includes parking at the Wild Animal Park.

Any way one pays for anything at the Wild Animal Park or Zoo is a good way! It all goes to help the animals, and to me, that is what it is all about. I just wish I could afford to give more than I do.

Oh, yeah, I just looked at the prices. $33 per adult, so for husband and wife, $66. A membership for husband and wife is $89. So it's like $66 for one day, or $89 for one year. There are other packages, check them out at:

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/membership/index.html

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 05-20-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    -

Boom!