• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

USH chills out for the Summer Heat Wave

Universal Studios Hollywood
    Heats Up the Excitement and Cools Down the Crowds,
    Lets Guests Chill With Re-Launches of Two Newly-Transformed World-Class Rides as the Entertainment Capital of L.A. Readies for Predicted Summer Heat Wave

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., May 16 /PRNewswire/ -- With a record-breaking heat wave on Southern California's horizon, Universal Studios Hollywood has transformed its two most popular rides and is making significant enhancements to many of its park attractions to make The Entertainment Capital of L.A. the coolest place to be in Southern California this summer.

The world-famous Jurassic Park ride has been transformed into a water ride, becoming wetter than ever with the addition of thousands of gallons of water, new "soak-to-the-bone," 60'-high water blasting geysers, drenching special effects and additional water-gushing Dilophosaurus dinosaurs.

A major enhancement will also transform "Revenge of the Mummy -- The Ride," America's top indoor roller coaster, which will accentuate the cool quotient by lowering the mercury to a bracing 60 degrees within the Mummy's tomb, then enveloping guests in a liquid nitrogen blanket that will drop thermometers to a frigid 45-degrees. The ride's new finale will also assail guests with an explosion of thousands of flashing strobes and special effects lighting, a hair-raising new finish that will contribute to a truly chilling new experience.

Other areas of the park are also being re-fitted for the warm weather. Newly added water-misters and shaded queue lines will add to guests' comfort. "Nickelodeon Blast Zone" will continue to keep kids of all ages cool. At ground level, the towering 30' tall Nickelodeon rocket will unleash more than 10,000 gallons of recycled water per hour from several water-blasting engines. A deluge of water, poured from two 500-gallon over-headwater buckets, will shower bystanders with over 12,000 gallons of water per hour. (If guests prefer to enjoy the splash from afar, they can opt to watch from a conveniently located "dry zone.")

Guests can also beat the heat at the popular "WaterWorld: A Sea War Spectacular," where the quest for "dry land" is typically a water-logged experience. "Coke Soak" offers another water-logged experience and temperatures at "Terminator 2: 3D," and "Special Effects Stages" never rise above a comfortable 65-degrees.

Universal Studios Hollywood, The Entertainment Capital of L.A., includes a full-day, movie-based theme park and Studio Tour, the CityWalk entertainment, shopping and dining complex, the Universal Cinemas and the Gibson Amphitheatre concert and special event venue. The theme park
    features such groundbreaking attractions as "Revenge of the Mummy -- The Ride," "Shrek 4-D," "Jurassic Park -- The Ride" and the world-renowned Studio Tour, which takes guests behind-the-scenes of such landmark TV and movie locations and sets as Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds. "CityWalk features 65 entertainment-themed restaurants, nightclubs, shops and dynamic entertainment options. The Universal Cinemas, which includes California's largest IMAX venue, features the best movie-going experience in Los Angeles.

Universal Studios Hollywood (http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com) is aunit of Universal Parks & Resorts, a division of Universal Studios, a partof NBC Universal. NBC Universal is one of the world's leading media andentertainment companies in the development, production, marketing ofentertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May of2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainmentnetworks, a premier motion picture company, significant televisionproduction operations, a leading television stations group, and worldrenowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80% owned by General Electric, with20% controlled by Vivendi.
    SOURCE Universal Studios Hollywood
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Re: USH chills out for the Summer Heat Wave

Mummy, America's Top indoor coaster???

They must be talking about the Orlando version.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

It's either the desperation or perspiration talking.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• A Pirate's life for me!

Aw shucks...

I was just getting used to the "drier" experience on JP...

Oh well, maybe the sales of poncho's were lagging???

Thanks for the scoop!!

• Golden State of Mind

well i guess this answers my question a while back about if JP was closing
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• ...TWO BITS!

yawn.

strobe lights in mummy??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

sounds like it'll at least be cooler and more comfortable in the park

I thought Jurrassic Park was wet enough but hey if it works

my complaint with heat and jurrasic park would have to be it's que more then the ride they need some fans so the air actualy moves the problem is with those misters always running and no fans it just makes the air kinda heavy and the que pretty darn uncomfortable

• Circle of Ancients

now they just have to move those misters by T2 to somewhere where ppl will actually be able to use them
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

Maybe I am missing something here, but hasn't Jurassic Park always been a water ride? I know they are adding more water of something, but the article stated that it was being transformed into a water ride. How can they transform it into something that it already was?
    Last edited by Michey; 05-20-2007 at 09:36 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Michey View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here, but hasn't Jurassic Park always been a water ride? I know they are adding more water of something, but the article stated that it was being transformed into a water ride. How can they transform it into something that it already was?
    i think they are just making it more water. like Grizzly river run at DCA has a switch that they can turn on for more or less water according to the temperature, making it ride to go on all year long
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    yawn.

strobe lights in mummy??
    They're converting it into Imhotep's Disco Palace.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Blechhhhh! on the soaking wet rides!!!!

If i want to get soakin' wet, I'll go to the pool.
    I don't want to squishing in my shoes the entire day.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They're converting it into Imhotep's Disco Palace.
    With Disco Zombie Stu. Oh yea. Do The Disco Duck.

JP used to be very wet when it opened. Both the car splash and the hadrasaur soaked the raft the first few years.

• e komo mai

then enveloping guests in a liquid nitrogen blanket that will drop thermometers to a frigid 45-degrees
    Uh... that sounds dangerous. I don't want t sleep with that blanket, I tell you what.