• When Will It Return?

Photo TR: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom 5/20/07

So last Sunday I was up in Vallejo, CA checking out the newly transformed Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. (Yes I am still going to Tokyo on Saturday, and yes I was called nuts for driving up there & back a week before that trip) For those of you who're unaware, the park was known as Six Flags Marine World until 2007 when it debuted with a new title, new themeing, and a LOT of refurb, new paint, new looks, and the most amazing thing to find in any Six Flags park - BGM loops!

It was quite a transformation, and Six Flags has done a fine job of upping the quality of experience at this seemingly mutant park that can't really decide if it wants to be Magic Mountain, the San Diego Zoo, or Sea World, so it's got a little bit of all of the above. Combine that with lovely new signage, no trash problems, CMs who act like they give a darn, BGM loops, and a TON of characters walking around from both Looney Tunes and Justice League and you have a decent day at Six Flags that doesn't include stomach churning roller coasters.

I put up lots of pictures over at Theme Park Review's forums, so those interested in pictures can Click Here . Be sure to read the first group of pictures from the bottom up since I accidentally posted them in reverse order.

I will say this for Discovery Kingdom, I'd go back for sure. It may have the Six Flags name, but it certainly doesn't have the lackluster experience we've come to associate with that name.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Minion

Re: Photo TR: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom 5/20/07

Cool! I liked your big cat commentary! haha
    As far as the Tokyo thing...yeah, I'm jealous. Can't wait to hear about that trip, as I plan to go next year. Have fun!
    I want my cake back!

What are you talking about, Boomerangs are fun! Especially the one at Knott's.

• When Will It Return?

^ Except when they hurt. Ouch.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Missing DLR

Great Pics thanks for posting!

• Grumpy old man

I've been hearing rave reviews from all over the place about how well Six Flags has done with their rethemeing and for the first time since Premier parks first took over in 1996 and turned into The New Marine World Theme Park, I actually want to go to the park. Haven't been since 2001, and it's only a 10 minute drive.

Wow! nice to see they have made what appear to be significant/good changes to that place.

The wife and I live in SF, and we went there last year or the year before and it was a digraceful ghetto. The park was filthy and in disrepair, as well as being staffed by rude and uncaring teenagers.(including the managers!)
    We may have to give it another chance since it's so close.

Funny enough, the last time I had been to "Marine World" previous to that trip, was when it used to be down in Redwood City. I was just a wee lad in the 70's then. :0

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

We used to take our students on field trips to Marine World/Africa USA in Redwood City in the '80s. After they moved to Vallejo, we'd ride Amtrak there with our own kids. But we stopped going long before they put in the first roller coaster.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• Directly directed

Marine World Africa USA was way better. But at least they painted it, it was in dire need. Anyone else remember when Shark Experience was new?