New Ride @ Knott's...

Can anyone tell me if that new ride at Knott's has opened yet? I can't remember the exact name of it, but it's something with the word *Side* in it, I think. It's opening up in Camp Snoopy. I thought I read where it would premier over Memorial Day weekend.

If anyone has been on it yet, please share what your thoughts are about it. It looks like a lot of fun...something different.

Thanks!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: New Ride @ Knott's...

The ride opened last weekend. Haven't ridden it yet, but it's been getting good reviews.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Actually the ride is only offering soft openings and hasn't officially opened yet. It has been closed since Sunday and they have been running the ride full of water dummies. The ride is called the Sierra Sidewinder and looks pretty cool. There is a camera on the lap bar that records your whole experience. Think spinning on a top as you go through a track with small drops and high bank curves and helixes and you got the gist of the ride. Looks awesome!!. A co-worker rode it Saturday night before it went down and she absolutely loved it!!
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

Thanks Sir Clinksalot and Pirate Munkee for responding. I'll have to check it out this weekend and see if I can experience it myself.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    Can anyone tell me if that new ride at Knott's has opened yet? I can't remember the exact name of it, but it's something with the word *Side* in it, I think. It's opening up in Camp Snoopy. I thought I read where it would premier over Memorial Day weekend.

If anyone has been on it yet, please share what your thoughts are about it. It looks like a lot of fun...something different.

Thanks!
    I heard that it was already open since last week. It's called the Sierra Sidewinder.

• Why do you keep talking?

It opened with one train for the weekend. I went out tuesday and they were workingon getting the second train going. The employee out front said they hope to have it open today or tomorrow.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    It opened with one train for the weekend. I went out tuesday and they were workingon getting the second train going. The employee out front said they hope to have it open today or tomorrow.
    It's in soft opening and there are signs saying to expect frequent closures while they work out the kinks. People tend to forget that I do work at Knott's and pass the Sidewinder every day that I work Camp Snoopy. Today it was open maybe an hour late in the afternoon.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Minion

It does look like a lot of fun. The ride photo keosk is still being built, but the in-ride video is a very interesting idea!!! Im just scared of the price. Just think, 10-15$ for a single phot on most rides. Now, the ride is 3 mins long, video plays at 30 frames (photo's) a second, thats 5400 single frames! $81,000!!! Eeek!

Just kidding. Im sure it will be on a DVD, but lets just see how much they will charge for that.

• Ok time for cocoa

Heres a link to the OC Register article with video.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1715013.php
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Hubby's company picnic is on the 16th and I'm hoping that it is open and running, it looks like a fun ride. I'm not much of a roller coaster fan anymore( I live through my 13yr old who loves them ) but it looks good.
    www.reveles.net
    "a whole lot of nothin"

• Why do you keep talking?

Rode this on Thursday, while I do realize it's a new ride and all, the queue was full and with two trains, it was still a half hour wait. It's a fun little ride but I feel it's one of those rides you ride only at night and with a 20 minute wait or less.

I opted to wait for the last row since I knew it was going to be my only ride for the day (literally, I drove home right after) and the lift is pretty steep. The jerk at the end of the lift can be quite painful for taller people. I'm 5'9" and still managed to hit my knee, and it hurt. The car spun a few times in the beginning, but I ended up facing backward for most of the ride. It would be a much better ride if they added a little bit more. It would have also help pad the ride time to avoid keeping the second train stacked for so long. The cool thing is the trains readjust themselves free of the station, so you don't even have to wait to be in the station to get back into (un)load position. I'm sure that cuts down the wait time dramatically.

Overall it's a great ride for families with little ones and a perfect fit for Camp Snoopy. Good job Knott's.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I know it's "soft opening" and you know that, but I think it was disingenuous to put "NOW OPEN!" billboards all over SoCal

• Minion

I'll be trying out the Sierra Sidewinder on June 11th - yes, instead of the subs! - because I'll be at Knott's with the rest of my senior class. Should be a good day, although I hear that the log flume, Perilous Plunge, and Ghostrider are all closed for refurb.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I rode it yesterday with Lisa, and had a great time.

Sierra Sidewinder will remain in "soft opening" mode for awhile, as the handicapped access lift has not yet been installed.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2949118

Ghostrider was up and running yesterday, but both the Log Ride and Perilous Plunge were closed. The Log Ride needs some major repairs (the roof fell in).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com