• ...TWO BITS!

Marvel Mania restuarant

I was in front of the USH park entrance and was asked by a guest if we still had Marvel Mania. Unfortunately it closed long ago but made me wonder: What exactly was in the restuarant? To be honest, I passed by it before but didn't step foot inside. So I was wondering what you can tell me about it and your opinion.

So far I think it was in the current Universal's House of Horrors, possbily also the current Photoland. Was 2 stories with comic decor with bar. Bathrooms had special effects... not sure when it opened, but closed around 1998. It was to be a chain like Planet Hollywood. Had life-size statues and store with Marvel merchandise.

Even nearly after a decade, a guest still remembered this restaurant...

Pictures would help too. I didn't find too much from google.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: Marvel Mania restuarant

Yes, it was where the Maze is now. I ate there a few times and it was just like those other Planet Hollywood type places - artwork, statues, characters roaming around etc... I have some non-digital pics somewhere - and when the closed it, I got a section of the carpet, which had various characters on it. Also, at the time, Marvel was in Chapter 11 and although I don't know the details, there were supposed to be a number of them all over the country. When I worked for Marvel, we got t-shirts for it with listings of Vegas, New York, etc. as locations on the back.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

I believe you'd brought this topic up before. Anyway I'd been to Marvel Mania a number of times, did a few events there too with the former Planet Hollywood management.

A model plan for the new Marvel Mania restaurant.

Marvel To Open Comic-Themed Restaurant. Marvel Entertainment Group and Planet Hollywood International have teamed up to create Marvel Mania, their flagship comic-themed restaurant at Universal Citywalk at Universal Studios in California. The project was announced to the media (and a group of very excited school children) at a recent presentation featuring costumed characters and a visit by comic guru Stan Lee, who joked "I'll always get a table at this restaurant!". Scheduled to open in fall 97, Marvel Mania is a 25,000 square foot facility designed to give up to 400 diners the illusion of being inside a comic book, by means of special effects, decoration, an interactive waiting area, and a giant TV screen showing animation of Marvel characters such as Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk and The X-Men. A second Marvel Mania is slated to open at Universal Studios Florida in the summer of 1998.

The recapitalization plan represents a strong vote of confidence by our principal shareholder and lender group in the fundamental strength and promise of the Marvel brand, our creative properties, business partners, licensing relationships, and strategic initiatives," said Mr. Sassa. Marvel's strategic investment program includes Marvel Studios' development of television and film properties, Marvel Mania theme restaurants, Marvel Interactive software and Fleer/SkyBox trading card initiatives.
    1/24/97

It was never as much fun as it could have been not unlike the Spielberg-backed DIVE! that was based in Century City:
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Wasn't there animation of Wolverine and Hulk fighting?

^^ OMG!!!! DIVE!!!!!! i totally remember that!!!!

you know where frank-n-stein is? it was there, as well as where the maze is now.
    kingdom hearts <3er

I just remebered, that Stan Lee bought most of, if not all of, the props from this restaurant when it closed for good. Stan proably still has them in his house.

• ...TWO BITS!

I went to take a DIVE! as well in Vegas. I'm not sure if it's there anymore. Where was there a Marvel Mania in Vegas? So i guess the restaurant chain only opened for a year or two. Interesting the press mentioned Citywalk instead of inside the park, maybe that was the plan for CW. Wonder where it may have been in...

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    I believe you'd brought this topic up before.
    That was actually for a stunt show, not the restaurant chain.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 06-13-2007 at 10:26 PM.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Functional & Decorative

I went to Marvel Mania as well, and pretty much agree with all the above. But I will add that I and everyone else I knew thought was that the food was terrible. And I'm not a picky eater, either. I don't think the selection was very good, consisting of the standard pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. I remember being very dissatisfied with the hot dog I got, and it seemed to be way overpriced on top of that. Not a great business model for a restaurant, even if it is themed.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• ...TWO BITS!

^ sorry to hear that. I decided to try the burger in Jurassic Cafe once because I don't usually eat at theme parks. WORST BURGER EVER! Probably worse than from a school cafeteria.

-Jurassic Park