Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• C4C6C

There is a reason there are uniformed sheriff deputies in the park, not just on the outside like some other parks.

These deputies were added full time last year.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    ^ And the Anaheim Police Department is inside Disneyland, DCA and Downtown Disney for what reason????

I have seen San Diego Police inside of SeaWorld, and Buena Park PD in Knott's....

And LA Sheriff's inside of Universal Studios....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

Sorry, I will get a review up in a few hours from now. I didn't get back home until 1am. 20 hours of being awake did it's toll on me. The park was pretty packed, about 2 hours wait for all the big coasters.

Was lucky enough to get a seat for the Batman Stunt show (the line was forever!!)

I'll post it all up tonite...but yea I'm alive an in one piece.

And the girl in my pic is Alyson Hannigan. Her husband would probably be upset if I brought her anywhere.

Okay, here's a trip report.

Woke up at 5am, was out of my house by 6am. 6.30 I was over at my friend's place in La Jolla, and we were off to.....westwood. Haha, yea had to pick up one more friend, and THEN it was time to hit valencia. Grabbed some breakfast at McDonalds, got in the parking lot, bought our tickets, and was waiting for the gate to open by 9.45. When the gates opened, we ran for Viper. The deal was they let me go on Viper first, and then if I'm comfortable I'd think about X.

Was pretty nervous for Viper. Seeing that the first loop was higher than the first hill was a little nerve-racking. But I survived, and actually had a good time on it.

So then we run for X. Line was about 90 minutes or so. I so did not like how that ride looked. But with a combination of peer pressure from my friends, the excitement that Viper left me with, and probably a little bit of stupidity, I decided to go for it. The seat for X was probably the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on. That being said, I freaked the hell out when we started going up that lift hill backwards, practically on our backs. That ride flips around so much, it's hard to tell what the hell is going on. But the important thing is I liked it.

So from there we hit Ninja. As we were standing in line, I noticed that X had apparently done more damage to my back than I thought, and a pain started going on in my lower back. Luckily Ninja seemed to fix that somehow, haha.

Then we did a small log ride. It was close to lunch time, so we passed on most of the 2hr lines and went for Colossus. Another fun coaster.

Lunch, and then we went for Batman. I really wanted to go on that from the get go. Now I dunno what exactely it was about that ride, but it messed me up real bad. I think my head kept slamming into the braces too much, and I was hurting after that ride. Headache big time, and every time I looked up I got this throbbing pain at the base of my skull.

This is the point my friends decide they want to hit Goliath. This was the only coaster I wussed out on. With the pain already going on, and the panic seeing that frickin' huge thing...I just said no way.

For reference I woulda said no to Superman, and was pretty sure I'd say no on Deja Vu.

After they hit Goliath it was 6.20, so we ran for the Batman Stunt show. 6.30 was already full, and the line was already long for the 8 show. (Why they only had 2 performances was beyond me) So since I really wanted to see the show, I waited in line while my friends went for another coaster. I found out later they hit Psyclone, which they all didn't like, so after that they stood in line for like an hour for Funnel cake. So I guess I was lucky to miss that one for the stunt show.

The Batman Stunt show was pretty good. Basically they tried to shrink a 2hr and 15 minute movie into 25 minutes. Having just seen the movie 6 days earlier, this just made me laugh at the feeble attempt to do so, but for people who haven't seen the movie or don't care as much it's really fun. The crew really works hard. And seeing the new tumbler in person was a definite plus.

The crowd is definetly not your disney crowd. I would say it's a little rougher looking than Universal Studios gets. But that being said, I never felt frightened or in danger. No one was 'looking for a fight' from what I could see. In terms of aethetics...well that's not what that park was about. As my friend was debating with me "If I had to pick between riding a great roller coaster, or riding a mediocre coaster with theming, I'd take the better coaster over animatronics". And that's what the slogan to six flags should be. "Themes? We don't need no stinking themes!" The log ride we went on was blatanly apparant of this.

The park wasn't overly dirty in my mind. The only thing that bothered me was the lack of care for the ground. You can see the parking space lines under some of the coasters still. Would it have cost that much to paint over that? And on some of the walkway, you can see spray paint 'construction markers'. To me that was just dumb.

So yea, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

did u ride riddler's? or scream? or deja vu? or superman?

anyway, yea psyclone is the roughest thing i've ever been on (had mucho bruises the next day)

naw, the only rides I got on were the ones I listed. The park was way too crowded to get alot done.

If I ever went again, I'd defintely be willing to give scream and Riddle's a chance.

• -Going Retro-

Thats exactly what happened to me on batman! My head was bouncing around all over the place and at the time I was perfectly fine going those types of rides. (now not so much). I'm guessing if you try and keep your head back you'd be ok but I'm not willing to try again

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1998
    Okay, here's a trip report.

<Edited>

So yea, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

I'm curious, how did you meet Alyson Hannigan in your avatar? She was actually pretty funny in American Pie, but her character got really strained after the 3rd movie.

Anyway, I went to Magic Mountain for the first time in June 2002 after just recently riding Disneyland's coasters. I tried Viper first but wussed out on X, Superman, Goliath, Freefall and Deja Vu. Actually, I was so sick by 5:00 PM that I could NOT ride Deja Vu even if I wanted to because I was so close to throwing up. I think it was Riddler's Revenge that did it, I was fine until that ride. I never did throw up but I was sick for the entire car ride. Being spoiled on Disneyland and even Knott's or Universal, I was expecting a lot from Six Flags and of course I was sorely disappointed in the theming department. There are chain-link fences in the queues, dirt lots for the coasters, trucks in parking lots and streets 20 feet away, and paint chipping and fading everywhere you look. I did love the queue for Batman: The Ride and Riddler's Revenge, the theming and storyline of the rides are top notch and around Universal's quality, maybe even slightly better.

Overall I think it's a great park that doesn't make any pretenses about what it is. It's a rollercoaster park designed for teenagers pure and simple and the fact that they don't try to be anything more than that is commendable. Parks like Sea World and Universal don't know what they want to be or who they want to cater to and futilely try to compete with Disney head on...not smart.

I take it that you did not ride Revolution, huh? That ride was originally installed with a simple lap bar but litigation being what it is, it now sports a lap bar AND horsecollar restraint. It bumps your head so badly, that most people have to put their hands up on the restraint to keep from getting a headache. It's very jerky and makes Batman's headaches look like nothing. And by the way, I find Revolution's "build up" of the loop very quaint. Today's coasters think nothing of loops, putting a few of them into one coaster is no big deal. But being the first looping coaster, Revolution has a moment where you slow WAY down and go down a mild hill for a long time (the build up) and then *gasp* actually turn upside down in a loop! It's so funny because they attempt a psych-out on a ride element that is not even close to being a big deal any more. Viper is much more direct in its loop approach: you drop 170 feet, turn around, go up the world's tallest coaster loop with incredible force, then begin the rest of the coaster ride. I rode in the front of Viper one time and it felt like my neck was going to snap off in that first loop...incredible intensity in that ride.

The people at Magic Mountain may look rough and tough, but they are actually nice people. I didn't have a problem whatsoever with anyone and everyone was very polite and respectful. It actually shocked me because I was really expecting fights and rude people everywhere. Unfortunately there will always be stupid kids in park like that, but I'd say the vast majority of Magic Mountain patrons are nice respectful people.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 06-26-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Okay, so here's the story of Alyson Hannigan:

Joss Whedon is a pretty big liberal. I'm both a pretty big liberal and a pretty big Joss Whedon fan. So imagine my joy when I hear Whedon is hosting a John Kerry rally about 2 months before the election. It was somewhere in LA, tickets were 50$ a person. A friend and I went. There was food and drinks for everyone. After about 30 minutes, Joss went and gave a big rally speech, talking politics for some good time.

Afterwards he and all of his invited guests stuck around for a couple hours, just talking, signing, and taking pictures with anyone and everyone. Keep in mind there was only like 100-200 people here, so it was very intimate.

If I remember correctly, those in attendance were Willow, Amber Benson (forgot the character name for the moment) Xander, Wesley, Gunn, Fred, the Trio, and the captain from Firefly (played Caleb in s7 of buffy.)

I managed to get photos with everyone. Haha the funniest one had to be when I found Xander and Caleb on the couch, and I turned to my friend and was like "Get me a picture with the two of them." I went up to them, and they were like yea sure, and had me sit in between them. My friend was fiddling wth the camera and Caleb looks at me and goes "Yea, you know we just did this photo for like a line of 6 girls." I just looked at him and went "Well maybe now should be a good time to mention how I'm not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that" Xander was like "oh no we're not insinuating anything" and then caleb was like "no we're just 3 heterosexual men taking a photo together on a couch." We all just started busting out laughing. I think thats about when the flash snapped, so it's an even more akward photo after someone knows the story. I have to see if I can still find all the photos I took.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    ^ And the Anaheim Police Department is inside Disneyland, DCA and Downtown Disney for what reason????
    I might be wrong. From your vast array of pictures, do you have a picture of an Anaheim Police Officer inside DL?
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert
    I might be wrong. From your vast array of pictures, do you have a picture of an Anaheim Police Officer inside DL?
    Yes I do, many of them.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

^^ They are mostly under-cover. But I have certainly seen them in the park.

ALL parks have issues, it's just that, IMO, SFMM's get more publicity because of "Past Problems". Honestly, I think SFMM's security team does a better job of checking bags than Disneyland's

I have been to that park AT LEAST 200 times and have yet to see a fight, riot, stabbing, shooting, raping, etc. Well, except from the rides.

• Minion

The people at Magic Mountain may look rough and tough, but they are actually nice people. I didn't have a problem whatsoever with anyone and everyone was very polite and respectful. It actually shocked me because I was really expecting fights and rude people everywhere. Unfortunately there will always be stupid kids in park like that, but I'd say the vast majority of Magic Mountain patrons are nice respectful people.
    Just goes to show you that a lot of Disney fans on this board are judgemental and ignorant! I love hearing everyone make up ridiculous SFMM accusations. It's hilarious because they paint a picture of an apocalyptic no man's land, and it's the opposite. Oh No! Those guys are wearing baggy pants, they MUST be Gang Members!

Don't assume things about people you don't know, it makes you look stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe
    Are the gangs really that bad at Magic Mountain?
    No.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Just goes to show you that a lot of Disney fans on this board are judgemental and ignorant! I love hearing everyone make up ridiculous SFMM accusations. It's hilarious because they paint a picture of an apocalyptic no man's land, and it's the opposite. Oh No! Those guys are wearing baggy pants, they MUST be Gang Members!

Don't assume things about people you don't know, it makes you look stupid...

No.
    I guess living right next to the park makes me stupid because I see the Sherriff's cars leaving the park with people in the backseat and hands behind their backs. The Sheriff and police are not taxi companies so they are probably taking these people to jail. This is most obvious on the weekends.

Just goes to show you that a lot of Disney fans on this site are judgemental and ignorant! I love how people who don't live near SFMM know what is going on.

• Circle of Ancients

IMO you don't have to live near SFMM to know what goes on there.

Like I said earlier, ALL parks have problems, yes even SFMM. When you are basically giving away Season Passes you become more of a "Hangout" place, even for people who have no interest in going there to have fun.

All I know, as I said above, that in 200+ visits to the park over the past 20 years I have had no problems whatsoever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast