• ...TWO BITS!

Universal Citywalk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citywalk

^ Not the best source, I know. But working at Citywalk I became curious. Didn't Universal think of actually EXPANDING THE THEME PARK into what is now Citywalk? Most of us know the space limitations the park has. Were they really concerned about getting more money by constructing Citywalk? Was this really their alternative to "your finale to the Universal parks" instead of the show they had to rival Disney's Fantasmic!? (sorry, couldn't remember the name, took place in the Miami Vice stage). Then again that show was also created to keep guests longer in the park and Citywalk at night.

Your thoughts.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: Universal Citywalk

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citywalk

^ Not the best source, I know. But working at Citywalk I became curious. Didn't Universal think of actually EXPANDING THE THEME PARK into what is now Citywalk? Most of us know the space limitations the park has. Were they really concerned about getting more money by constructing Citywalk? Was this really their alternative to "your finale to the Universal parks" instead of the show they had to rival Disney's Fantasmic!? (sorry, couldn't remember the name, took place in the Miami Vice stage). Then again that show was also created to keep guests longer in the park and Citywalk at night.

Your thoughts.
    Jon Jerde's master plan for Universal City was ingenious. CityWalk is probably better than Universal Studios, itself. Positioning the ungated entertainment center between the parking terraces and the studio's guest entrance makes so much more sense than the current Downtown Disney layout does.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have to admit I like CityWalk better than Downtown Disney.

• Minion

My recollection of City Walk was to create a safe and friendly "downtown" experience. During the planning stages there were few real downtowns left in the LA areas and it was felt that that in itself would be the attraction.

I've been a few times and found it fun but certainly not the same experience that historical downtown LA, Hollywood, Pasadena, Santa Monica and even Burbank has.

Culver City has even been making a comeback where once the only thing worth seeing there were the old MGM Studios.

• ...TWO BITS!

Oh, I definately agree the design for CityWalk to be between the Parking Garages and Theme Park entrance is great. Which is a reason I kinda think a new amphitheater entrance should be on the other side of CW where that lame multi-deplayed SkyVenture is. Then you'd have the theme park on 1 side and concert amphitheater on the other. Then again, I think the Curious George Parking would literally be around the corner instead of the other side of CW... you still have Jurassic Park which is kind of in the middle of CW...

There's definately something more to CityWalk than Downtown Disney. I visit more shops in CW than DD, that's for sure.

So the goal was to create a safe and friendly "downtown" experience. That seems to be fair. And it was recreated in Florida with the same idea of CW between the theme parks and parking. Never been to Japan's. But with Florida's DD, it's in a mall complex to itself. And in CA, it's west and inbetween the 2 parks but at least it leads to the hotels...

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Just Me

I do not care much for City Walk. the walkway is too narrow, and very claustrophobic when it gets crowded. For the most part, the shops fall into 1 of 2 catagories. Either it is a store you find in your local mall or it is a store that is carrying the same thing as a store 3 doors down. There aren't enough seating areas, and again it is too crowded to put more seating anywhere.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

You gotta do the CityWalk Drinking Tour some time - it's especially fun when you can stumble to a room at the Sheraton (just don't lose any party members in the elevator)

• Just Me

Is that an invitation?

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I don't really drink anymore, but I'm an excellent tour guide

• ...TWO BITS!

Citywalk Drinking Tour... I must know more

Is that a reference to the Citywalk club pass? I just recently found Citywalk used to sell this pass that gets you into all their clubs but was discontinued in March for some reason. Maybe they were losing money??

-Jurassic Park

• keh!

i used to enjoy going to citywalk. but now, the shops don't really interest me. now that the nature company is gone, that place is nothing to me, and $10 parking? i'd rather be charged by the length of time i'm there instead of automatically having to pay upfront.

• Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    I don't really drink anymore, but I'm an excellent tour guide

I promise to leave Boy at home for that trip!!