Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nerd.

Japanese Village & Deer Park

Does anyone remember this park which was located in Buena Park, CA? I think it was across from Movieland Wax Museum and Mid. Times? My parents says they used to take me there when I was really young, but I don't really remember it. I could find some picture of it online, but no real history as when it opened or closed.

Here are some web sites with some pics:
    http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...496&forum=6&16
    http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com...pril-1970.html
    http://www.octhen.com/2006/05/photos...e-and-deer.htm

Would love to hear from others about what they remember of this park!
    Last edited by tofubeast; 07-08-2007 at 05:18 PM.

• Banned User

Re: Japanese Village & Deer Park

I remember it. It wasn't across Beach Blvd from the now-also-gone Movieland Wax Museum, it was directly alongside the 5 Freeway, at Knott Ave.

Map of the Village & Park

It opened in 1967 and closed in 1974.

Not long ago, the old Nabisco plant that was across the freeway from the park was also demolished. http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/sectio...cle_557094.php
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 07-08-2007 at 05:49 PM.

• Nerd.

I remember the Nabisco building. I also remember that there was a potato chip factory somewhere off the freeway. Every time we would go to Disney, you could smell the chips being made.

• Neep meep beep

Yes, we used to go quite a bit as a kid - I enjoyed it.

• Disgruntled Former CM

There used to be a big open aviary full of doves; you could go inside, and for a nickel, get a whole handful of dove food and the birds would flock all over you... We have a picture of my little sister (about 4 years old) with her hands outstretched, full of food and birds all over her; we always crack up at this picture, because about 2 seconds after it was taken, the bird on her head pooped in her hair and she started to SCREAM....

There were also places to feed the deer (same thing; gumball machines full of deer pellets) and beautiful Japanese gardens everywhere, koi ponds, and bridges - and beautiful Japanese women in traditional kimonos... a beautiful place; no coasters, no loops - and we all loved going there.

Same with Busch Gardens in Van Nuys....

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Dont remember a whole lot. But I do remember feeding the deer, and these Japanese characters that used to walk around. If I recall correctly they looked like cartoony sumo wrestlers or something...

They made a dolphins jump through a ring of fire? Are you serious?

• insufferable know-it-all

I could SWEAR there was a thread on this, like a year ago (yeah, I'm too lazy to find the link).

But I remember there was a sad story about them shooting the deer or something.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    I could SWEAR there was a thread on this, like a year ago (yeah, I'm too lazy to find the link).

But I remember there was a sad story about them shooting the deer or something.
    No problem, I always have your back. Six pages with photographs, park maps, even pics of the fuji people - enjoy!

http://micechat.com/forums/other-destinations/30602-anyone-remember-place-japanese-deer-park.html

I lived for many years just a couple of blocks from Japanese Village & Deer Park. I ate off Japanese Deer Park paper plates for years having bought a huge amount of them after they closed. Also bought a 45 record of the theme song when they changed the name to Enchanted Village. At that time a company that used love and affection in training animals had a number of the shows in the park including what I think they advertised as the largest collection of tigers in one cage. Unfortunately my memory seems to say that they had a terrible accident in that cage and the animals were removed leading to the close of the park. They did have a dolphin show and I recall a very good ventriloquist act. The park was small but very pretty in its early days. One problem they had was caused by the Kraft Company across the street where sometimes very foul odors covered the area. I think I was told that the same man that started Movieland Wax Museum also built Japanese Village & Deer Park. When I moved to Buena Park in 1969 there were many attractions in that small city. Of course Knott's Berry Farm, the Aligator Farm, Cars of Stars, Planes of Fame, Movieland Wax Museum, Japanese Village & Deer Park (later Enchanted Village), the Pottery Shack, and The Dancing Stallions, which then became Medeval Times. Now there is only Knott's, Medeval Times, Pirates Dinner Show, which use to be a bowling alley, and Ripley's (which I hear might close soon.) Hobby City and the children's theme park, Adventure City down the street in Stanton, will be closing soon. With Halloween Haunt doing so well at Knott's, I am surprised someone hasn't put in a haunted attraction that is open all year long. I hear Ripley's have put in several that are doing well. Perhaps a Haunted Dinner Theatre. Buena Park calls Beach Blvd "The Entertainment Corridor". They better get busy and attract something that will be successful.
    Last edited by glowman; 07-11-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Forgot Medeval Times was originally a Dancing Stallions show.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I remember the Japanese Village - and the killing of the deer not long after the park closed.

I also remember the thread a year ago that Morrigoon and Frogberto referenced.

And I loved the Movieland Wax Museum,,,so sad to see it close.

Of course there was Lion Country Safari in Irvine where the big ampitheater is now...

And does anyone else remember Busch Gardens in Van Nuys? I loved the time or two I went there as a kid.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I remember the Japanese Village - and the killing of the deer not long after the park closed.

I also remember the thread a year ago that Morrigoon and Frogberto referenced.

And I loved the Movieland Wax Museum,,,so sad to see it close.

Of course there was Lion Country Safari in Irvine where the big ampitheater is now...

And does anyone else remember Busch Gardens in Van Nuys? I loved the time or two I went there as a kid.

--Barry
    Busch gardens in Van nuys was a wekend staple for our family. (maybe it was the free beer?)

My grandparents lived w/in walking distance. I still have a Busch Gardens Serving tray with all of the attractions.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Done and Gone

off topic, but I found http://www.farrellsusa.com/ because of that old thread!!!! Time for a road trip!!! :P

• Minion FOREVER!

Yikes! I didn't know that Farrells is back! I know where I'm stopping next time I'm coming back from DL!

• Banned User

The Farrell's Zone

Great photos and history of the company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast