• Blow me to Bermuda!

Sea World/San Diego Zoo/beach... need info

I need some info from those with experience please.

Although my DD has been to the ocean, she was young and would really like to see it again. I am currently planning a DL trip for March 12-16, 2008. I was thinking that since we have that whole week off anyway, we could leave a day early and go to San Diego first. Neither of us have ever been to San Diego. If we leave PHX at about 6 am we should be in San Diego by about noon. I was thinking that we could go to Sea World on 3/11, (figuring they're on Spring hours and should close between 6-8) we can check into our hotel after the park and grab a bite to eat. A good night's rest will be in order after traveling and playing all day. We can check out when we get up in the morning, grab some breakfast, head to the beach for a little while, and then head off to the zoo (which should also be on Spring hours and close around 4pm) If we head for Anaheim when we leave the zoo, we should get to the Desert Inn around dinner time.

So, what I need to know is if:
    1) 6-8 hours is enough time to really enjoy Sea World
    2) the beach is close enough to the zoo to warrant going there before the zoo
    or
    3) I should add another day to travel and go to the beach on the 10th.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Re: Sea World/San Diego Zoo/beach... need info

6-8 hours is probably more than enough time to enjoy Sea World but since I am a sucker for the zoo, I could literally spend the whole day there especially now with the nighttime stuff but you could see all the main stuff at the zoo in a few hours and the beach isn't far at all from the zoo (depending on what beach you prefer but I guess it wouldn't matter to people who rarely see it)

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Man O Lantern

Keep in mind that it'll be about 70 degrees on the beach, or less. I've been for spring break twice and I'm always surprised by how chilly it can feel down there in March.

The zoo and Sea World have both added so much over the years, and San Diego's just so pretty...I'd add another day if you can.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Yeah, don't expect insanely hot weather here in San Diego, it usually stays in the low 70s but if you could spend the whole day at the zoo, I recommend it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'd hate to see you rush your day at Sea World and do it commando style. By far the most entertaining on your itinerary, there is an invredible world of things to sea. If anything divvy up your second day between the zoo and the beach. Stinkerbell is right though - add another day if you can, and take in the Wildlife park the same day that you do the zoo.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Blow me to Bermuda!

I don't think adding a day will be an issue. We are both off all that week. If I could afford it, we'd make it a 9 day trip. I'm not expecting that to happen though. lol

So, maybe we'll travel on the 10th and have a picnic dinner on the beach. I'm expecting it to be cool and we weren't actually planning on getting in the water. She just wants to see it. I figure an hour will be more than plenty for her to gaze at the water and collect shells if she wants. Then we can do a day each at Sea World and the zoo. We aren't planning to do the other animal park this trip.

So, now... any suggestions on <$120/nt rooms not too far from it all? I know there are several on Hotel Circle and I think there was a Ramada that looked nice.

Google maps says the drive up to Anaheim is only about an hour and 45 min. Does that sound about right and is it a nice drive?

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Here is a few suggestions for hotels (I've never personally stayed in a hotel in San Diego since I live here) but these are pretty close to where you want to go and are in your price range and are the best rated :

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center-The Historic St James Hotel

Best Western Seven Seas

and the time is about right, sometimes even 1 hour and 20-30 minutes and the drive up there is fine, especially if you plan to go in the morning.

We just took our kids (boy 9yo & girl 8yo) to Sea World for vacation at the begining of summer. We decided to skip the zoo and animal park and spend 2 1/2 days at Sea World. We had a blast and I am glad we decided to only do Sea World. Its a relativly small park with not too much to do but having the extra day really allowed us to not feel rushed and see everything we wanted to.

• Blow me to Bermuda!

Thanks for the hotel recommendations. It's hard to tell really how close things are and what the area is like sometimes without info from those in the know. We actually won't head towards Anaheim until after we are done at the zoo. We plan to get to Anaheim around dinner time. Even 2 hours wouldn't be too big a deal though. It takes us that long to fly there from home, and I'm sure we'll be ready to be off our feet for a little while by then. lol

NKJE - Actually we're (well maybe I am) going more for the Zoo and the beach. Technically I could drive to a beach up by Anaheim but I really want to see the San Diego Zoo. Although my DD likes the zoo, at 16, if we were that close to an amusement park and didn't go, I'd never hear the end of it. lol

Plus, our vacations always seem to be long weekend get aways and I thought we were well past due for a real week long vacation.