Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: New Magic Mountain Slogan

We just sold some coasters to afford paint! Come check it out!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Why do they keep building more coasters if they're in financial trouble? Er, ok, maybe not total financial trouble since they're still operating. But my boyfriend made a good point-people now-a-days want to see rides that are cutting-edge and have really stimulating, new, and interesting technology. Another steel coaster just isn't doing the trick. Anyone else think he's right?

• Banned User

See "AstroWorld" for that financial answer.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    See "AstroWorld" for that financial answer.
    astroworld seemed like a nice park though.. it seems as if they closed the well maintained ones and left the falling apart ones open...

Who are you guys to continually bash Magic Mountain when all you guys ever do is look for the smallest, most pointless things in Disneyland to b%t©h about, like when a Skipper looks at you the wrong way or a waiter brings you two refills instead of three. The problem with you guys, is you look at every other theme park as another Disneyland. If it doesn't have designated smoking areas (which I believe every park should have), then it's a "gang" park. It's no secret that this site has ridiculously high standards for anything Disney, so you in turn apply those high standards to other theme parks. Yeah, we all know Magic Mountain has been struggling a little, especially with their clientèle, but instead of you guys trying to give them some credit for turning the park around, you guys thinks you're comedians and attempt to come up lame a$$ catch phrases.

Obviously enough people liked the park to increase it's attendance, so it is staying open; also the city of Valencia and the county of Santa Clarita helped. When the guy in the commercial said that line, I was happy because I wasn't sure what Six Flags' intentions were with the park, except I knew they were leaning towards closing it and selling it to real estate developers. So, naturally I'm also glad the park isn't closing...you ungrateful...people.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    So, naturally I'm also glad the park isn't closing...you ungrateful...people.
    You should be grateful that you have a mother, or a father, or both, that you have your health and are still of sound mind.

I don't think anyone should be grateful that Six Flags Magic Mountain, or any theme park for that matter, just decided out of the kindness of their heart to stay open.

• A Pirate's life for me!

The problem with you guys, is you look at every other theme park as another Disneyland.

Obviously enough people liked the park to increase it's attendance, so it is staying open; also the city of Valencia and the county of Santa Clarita helped.

Don't include me in that group.

You've never heard me complain about CM's wearing sunglasses or losing sleep over the style of their nametags...

But a few visits to Tragic Mtn is all that I needed to decide that it wasn't the place for me and my family. Setting the wanna-be gangbangers aside for a moment, the stuff that the Park could do to make it better wasn't getting done. The mens rooms were flooded with NO paper products what-so-ever in them. I saw two of the CM's in "Chef" attire relieve themselves and then leave w/o washing their hands (but how could they w/o ANY paper products in there???). The food that was served at the mexican restaurant there was unedible and was returned for a refund (thankfully BEFORE we saw the chef's in the restroom). We lost all of our appetites after that. And so on.

Tragic Mtn deserves what they get in terms of ridicule and bashing.

As far as the increase in attendance goes, I would guess that it was more due to folks getting in one last visit before the wrecking ball hits rather than from some hokey sales pitch on the tv and radio.

And I would also venture to say that if the real estate "bubble" hadn't popped when it did, that you'd be looking at tract homes today instead of a theme park...

For goodness sake people, it's called MAGIC Mountain, not 'Tragic.' You guys manage say Disneyland right, you manage to say California Adventure, or "DCA" right, even though most of you hate the place, the least you can do is say the name right. Just a few months ago, when news got out about Magic Mountain closing, there were a couple threads on here of people disappointed that it was closing, saying they wanted it to stay open. And now that it's apparent Magic Mountain is staying open, everyone is coming up with dumb a$$ ways to make fun of it.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I dont mind Magic Mountain... and I do agree they have turned it around and done a great job at getting its ratings back up... I just dont like the fact that the place has not much theme, I agree that they do have some theme, but constantly flying past metal, and wood just gets boring quickly, and I know "thats not the point" of the ride, the point is the thrill, but after being to Disney parks and seeing what could and can be done to make rides even better, I just makes me wonder why Six flags doesn't atleast have a couple well themed rides, such as 'X'. They could have such a cool landsacpe beneath it, maybe even a futuristic theme since it is a new ride design, instead they have a few piles of dirt. They build rides, and they just sit there. Granted that every park cannot be like Disney, but all six flags has done in the past 10 years is go completely downhill, even though in the past year they have turned around a bit, but my guess is that six flags still wont last too long as it Magic Mountain will be bought out by another company. If perhaps they can go a few days without wanting a new coaster, they can spend the money on renovating the park.

I have not been there in about a year, so I cannot say any further about the parks current shape.

Overall, Six flags is for teens.... Disneyland is for families, and adults where they can relive their childhood fantasies... so it is common for adults to make fun of Six flags where the rides are more for thrills, since a lot of people cant handle those rides, just as teens usually laugh at Disneyland saying its for little kids.

Its going to happen, nothing can stop it from happening.

And who's to say we dont make fun of Disneyland? we come up with weird slogans and names all the time for it... granted most of it goes towards DCA.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Who are you guys to continually bash Magic Mountain... If it doesn't have designated smoking areas (which I believe every park should have), then it's a "gang" park....instead of you guys trying to give them some credit for turning the park around, you guys thinks you're comedians and attempt to come up lame a$$ catch phrases.

Obviously enough people liked the park to increase it's attendance, so it is staying open; also the city of Valencia and the county of Santa Clarita helped. When the guy in the commercial said that line, I was happy because I wasn't sure what Six Flags' intentions were with the park, except I knew they were leaning towards closing it and selling it to real estate developers. So, naturally I'm also glad the park isn't closing...you ungrateful...people.
    It takes more than a lack of "smoking areas" for the park to be considered a gang park-I don't even really see how the two are related.

And honestly, I haven't really seen a big "turn around." As a teenager, I was one of those annoying kids which would have their mom drop them off to play all day with friends. I made a return visit to Magic Mountain last year and I spent all of two hours there-ready to leave. What has gone missing that I used to enjoy so much? Cleanliness. Safety. Overall presentation.

Maybe my tastes have just gone over to the persnickity side and therefore my stomping grounds are the overly detailed Disneyland. But I also feel that Magic Mountain, truly, needs an overhaul.

And why don't the residents of the Santa Clarita Valley want Magic Mountain to close? Two words: tax revenues. Visitors to the park also frequent other businesses in the area and therefore helps the city's finances.

For goodness sake people, it's called MAGIC Mountain, not 'Tragic.' You guys manage say Disneyland right, you manage to say California Adventure, or "DCA" right, even though most of you hate the place, the least you can do is say the name right. Just a few months ago, when news got out about Magic Mountain closing, there were a couple threads on here of people disappointed that it was closing, saying they wanted it to stay open. And now that it's apparent Magic Mountain is staying open, everyone is coming up with dumb a$$ ways to make fun of it.
    So I'm guessing you've never heard of people refer to Disneyland as the "Tragic Kingdom?" I've heard it plenty of times-and mind you-not from people remotely associated with this board. While we don't want to see Magic Mountain closed, we also do not want to see it go into disrepair. Granted, nothing holds a candle to Disneyland, there still are standards out there. The main reason Magic Mountain is still aroudn is because the only people interested in purchasing it were real estate investors-like you mentioned. They were going to tear down the park, sell the coasters, and build homes. Magic Mountain wants the park to stay open, not become a housing community and therefore will only sell it to someone who is interested in keeping the park alive. So yay that it's staying open, but just because we're celebrating that, that doesn't mean we have to be happy with the way it is being run.

I almost hope that it gets sold to someone who can pump some good quality TLC into that park.

• Banned User

Sure, we make mention that Six Flags for no reason whatsoever (except for the fastest way to make a buck) closed and sold AstroWorld and it was getting shoddy there. Opryland theme park was closed and they built a Mills property there. Hell, Willow Grove Park became Six Gun Territory and that company went out of business and the place has a shopping center in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania (and a Disney Store within).

• Banned User

And now that it's apparent Magic Mountain is staying open, everyone is coming up with dumb a$$ ways to make fun of it.
    You are taking this thread way too personally.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I always prefered "Duck and Cover"

• Freakster

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    You are taking this thread way too personally.
    +1

I find the thread hysterically funny.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    And why don't the residents of the Santa Clarita Valley want Magic Mountain to close? Two words: tax revenues. Visitors to the park also frequent other businesses in the area and therefore helps the city's finances.
    You're also forgetting how many jobs it opens to SCV residents. While the majority of Magic Mountain's workforce is 17 and younger, there's also a portion of adults who work there who might otherwise be unemployed, and that's a good thing. Magic Mountain was my 'first job' and was the only place that would hire me when I was 15 and in 2000, the economy was in recession and NO ONE was hiring under 18 other than Magic Mountain.

But do note that the City of Santa Clarita receives ZERO tax revenue directly as Magic Mountain does not lie within the City Limits. All that revenue goes to Los Angeles County. So the next time you buy a churro or whatever in that park, that tax revenue could go to fund something going on in south Northridge somewhere. The City wanted to annex the land Magic Mountain sits on, and give Magic Mountain a break from having to pay taxes directly to the City, but that apparently wasn't necessary to keep the park open.

The City will do everything in their power to keep Magic Mountain open. A new housing development will only strain our resources, infrastructure, and negatively affect life for everyone else living here.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast