Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Christopher Lloyd Helps Universal Studios Hollywood Set Official “Clock Tower” Co

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    I seriously doubt that. It's obvious to most everyone that this park does not try to compete with DL, nor should it. It serves it's purpose as a major film studio first and foremost. The competition is all in your mind.
    The relationship between USH and Universal Studios is the exact same as Disneyland and the Walt Disney Studios. USH just happens to occupy the same land as Universal Studios but they operate separately but under the same corporate parent.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: Christopher Lloyd Helps Universal Studios Hollywood Set Official “Clock Tower” Co

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    (note: i'm not trying to bash Universal if it looks that way. I just wish Universal kept more of their rides than ditching them. E.T. was my favorite.)
    I loved that ride too. I only went on it once when it first opened, waiting in line for hours and hours and then having E.T. say MY NAME at the end? I was one happy little kid after that ride!

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I don't know. Sure they're run by movie studios. But Universal came out as a studio tour and THEN they added a theme park and Citywalk. Disney did plan Disneyland next to the studios, but fortunately didn't happen and had a little more room to grow. Even though they're family theme parks, I totally agree they cater to slightly different audiences.

From my perspective right now, USH only cares about "spending little to make more profit". Not "spend more to make more".

They should also be utlizing their space more carefully like in Disneyland. Of course, you can argue USH is on a hill and makes for an even more complicated layout. But their 1990-1995 layout was good. Now I see (and will soon see) some wasted space that can be used to a better degree.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Freakster

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    While I am not going to even attempt to dig up the articles, it was noted in numerous publications, including the AAA magazine Via (called Motorland back then), that USH was number one in attendance during the early 90's. Even if it was only for a year or two.

If you were around then, you might recall that the early 90's were some of DL's worst times.

Take it for what it's worth (like I said... not much).

But it was true.
    Nope, never even close unless you're talking some kind of growth metric like "number one in year over year attendance growth."

Disneyland has always been about double (sometimes nearly triple) USH attendance. DL hasn't dipped below 10 million since the early 80s and USH topped out in the mid-5 million range, based on the old Amusement Business reports.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I seriously doubt that. It's obvious to most everyone that this park does not try to compete with DL, nor should it. It serves it's purpose as a major film studio first and foremost. The competition is all in your mind.
    Really? Is it all in my mind?

Universal Studios is out there as a MAJOR FILM STUDIO. Universal Studios Hollywood THEME PARK is trying to tap into the same family audience that Disneyland attracts.

Yes, the major E-Ticket for USH is the tram tour, but it remains virtually the same year after year, only minor changes now and then. The rest of the theme park needs to try harder. They're giving free annual passes for a reason. They're having trouble finding people doing repeat visits because once you see it, you don't need to again for a good 5-10 years.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

There's not an E-Ticket attraction anywhere else in the world as dynamic as the Studio Tour - the route changes constantly, sometimes during the middle of an operating day, there are different experiences depending on what time of the day or what day of the week.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ And better than what Disney-MGM offers.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    The relationship between USH and Universal Studios is the exact same as Disneyland and the Walt Disney Studios. USH just happens to occupy the same land as Universal Studios but they operate separately but under the same corporate parent.
    Did you actually read that before you posted it? It doesn't matter which operational division the studio or park fall under, they're still intertwined as a single physical entity. This severely limits what they can do with the park itself. Disneyland is not the same situation at all.

• Sock Puppet

Lets just say the only place in california that celebrates BEANS!

And what are they going to put in its place ? Honestly what in the world is wrong with them that ride is the best it may be old but its still great! This is like ET closing down I loved that ride to DEATH!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan4lyfe View Post
    And what are they going to put in its place ?
    The Simpsons

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Did you actually read that before you posted it? It doesn't matter which operational division the studio or park fall under, they're still intertwined as a single physical entity. This severely limits what they can do with the park itself. Disneyland is not the same situation at all.
    It doesn't matter. Universal Studios Hollywood is a separate department within the NBC Universal brand underneath GE. Yes, they need to work together with the Studios side to keep things smooth, but the theme park isn't doing much to keep people coming back. And yes, the space is certainly a big obstacle as they don't want to spend millions on something that isn't going to last very long.

Disneyland isn't in the same unfortunate situation but they're both THEME parks and they both have a goal. Universal IS a different kind of park but the object is still the same: bring the people IN. They can certainly do much more to do that without giving away passes.

Killing Back to the Future may give them a surge of new people when the Simpsons does come in, but what are they going to do in the mean time? They're now down to Jurassic Park and Mummy Returns as fully functioning "rides".

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Without going into more detail, the vision plan is being put into place to strengthen the park in more ways than just the studio. NBC Universal is putting their money behind the Vision plan - Seagram's and Bronfman balked at the high price of getting started with the previous master plan/zoning process. Until new zoning/master planning is approved, USH doesn't have any entitlements for new facilities - so for now, it makes more business sense to freshen and plus existing attractions- yes that sometimes means replacing attractions that have run for 10+ years. But, I don't know anything about this business

Have fun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12