• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The World of Sid & Marty Krofft

Did anyone here get to visit this theme park on acid the brief time it was open? I've been trying to find pics and more details on the rides & attractions but info been very scarce.

• Yeah...I'm cool

Re: The World of Sid & Marty Krofft

Never even knew it existed. Imagne a Lidsville ride, that thing would have been nuts!!!!

But I would have spent most of my time on the Electrowoman and Dynagirl ride!
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

LOL! There was a Lidsville stage show. And there was a HR Puffnstuff dark ride too. The park was in downtown Atlanta... in the building that is now the CNN Center. From what I gather, it opened in 1976 and closed less than a year later (gee I wonder why? ).

This is the only website I can find that has any real concrete info and stuff on this freaky place:

http://members.aol.com/interama/krofft.html

• Banned User

What killed it that it really wasn't that much an idea. While Kroft was at their peak, I think that mismanagement from the licencee killed it, the fact America celebrated their Bicentennial and much of the country was focused on places like Philadelphia, New York City and Boston for that year plus it was an indoor park.

I have the Best of Sid and Marty Krofft on CD. THat way I can always sing a long with the Bugaloos, HR, Wonderbug, et al

Oh yeah I also have an LP copy of the Bugaloos Album, this is the first time I've ever heard they had a theme park.... Far out!

"I said 'Lunch'....NOT LAUNCH!!!"

Found a little more info on this place. Apparently what killed it was downtown Atlanta wasn't a very safe place for tourists at that time (like it is now? ok it's better but...). Plus with the Bicentennial, people were probably scared it was going to be too crowded so not many traveled on vacation that summer.

One of the rides there was a pinball ride. Guests rode in vehicles shaped like pinballs and ricocheted through this giant pinball machine. But apparently it malfunctioned a lot and there were injuries too. There was also the "Crystal Carousel" where the things you rode on floated like a hover craft. That sounds trippy! Then of course were the Lidsville show I mentioned and the HR PuffNStuff "Living Island" dark ride. You traveled down a simulated mine shaft to get to the loading area. The bottom floor also had a skating rink. Oh yeah and you ride a humungoid escalator to the top level (there were 5 or 6 levels) to enter the park.

I visited the CNN Center back in 2001, but I had no idea this park had existed in there at the time. If I had I would've explored a lot more. The escalator still exists and is used as part of the CNN tour. From what I heard, when Ted Turner bought the building in 1987 (back then it was called the Omni), much of the space used for the Krofft park was left unchanged and he thought the big open spaces would be perfect to move the studios of CNN to as they were outgrowing their current facility.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The reason all of those promo images say, "Now All the Fun is Indoors." is because until The World of Sid & Marty Kroft opened, you could find their creations roaming Six Flags Over Georgia. To make matters worse/wierder/better, Six Flags had to make their own Kroft character costumes. The current Drive-In Theater was the Sid & Marty Kroft Theater, until the Kroft characters vacated Six Flags for The Omni.

According to The Unofficial Guide to Six Flags Over Georgia, the World of Sid & Marty Kroft was only open for six months.

A lot of Atlanta was cleaned up in the time running up to the 1996 Summer Olympics. The Omni is, as stated previously, home to CNN Center. Philips Arena is also directly attached to the hotel. All in the area is also the Georgia Dome, Georgia World Congress Center, Centenial Olympic Park, and right down the street is the Georgia Aquarium and the new World of Coke.

I wanted to visit the old World of Coke when I was in Atlanta in 2001, but we didn't have enough time as my friend & I were only there for a couple days for a concert. We stayed at the Westin Peachtree Plaza (her dad worked for Starwood hotels so we got to use his employee discount), so the Hard Rock Cafe was right across the street and the old Planet Hollywood was next door. We got free dessert at Planet Hollywood because my friend ended up knowing the manager. Back then there wasn't a Macy's in every mall, so shopping at the one adjacent to the hotel was something special for me (they've since closed the store). We also did some shopping at the Atlanta Underground mall thing. That was pretty cool. I want to go back to Atlanta again so I can explore some more. Plus I have several friends there I would love to see again.