• RYGUY7

Wisconsin Dells - worth it?

Hey there,

Taking a road trip at the end of the month that will travel through Chicago. Thinking about removing one night in Chicago and trading it in for a night in Wisconsin Dells.

I'm a huge fan of amusement parks and rides - I'm just wondering if it is worth it to stop there for a night (as two adults). Are the theme parks expensive? Built for kids? Will the city drive me crazy?

Any info would gladly help. I find the official city website to be somewhat confusing.

Thanks,
    Ryan

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Wisconsin Dells - worth it?

I visit the Wisconsin Dells each year with my grandson, and my husband. We stay at a hotel called the Wilderness. This hotel has it's own waterpark, that my grandson just loves. As far as amusement parks go, there are a few, but for the money, I'd say if you are traveling through Chicago, you might want to stop at Great America in Gurnee instead.

• I'm a guy

Noah's Ark is a lot of fun, but if you are not into water parks there isn't a whole lot to do. There is one go-kart/minigolf park that has a couple of coasters too and I think it is called Mt. Olympus.
    That's all I can think of, but I know there is a lot of places to mini-golf and go-kart in Wisconsin Dells. A couple of those places have other rides too.

• I'm not wearing a scarf!

Mt. Olympus is pretty good from what I've heard. Their Hades wooden coaster has gotten rave reviews. There's a really cool coaster named Avalache in the area too.

• just the beernecessities

The Travel Channel called Wisconsin Dells "America's Biggest Roadside Circus". The Dells has some good coasters, all wooden, and alot of waterparks and go cart tracks, miniature golf, thats about it. If all you want to do is ride a coaster or two you can do that in a couple of hours. Everything is pretty much pay per ride. I would spend a day at Great America in Gurnee.
    Hello everyone!

• In Mouse We trust

Having grown up in Wisconsin, if you are looking for amusement parks, and unless Water Parks are your thing, it is not worth the extra trip.

I would recommend it however, but not for the amusement parks.

The nicest thing there is actually why the town ever became anything, the Wisconsin Dells!! These are the awesome cliffs and formations, shaped by the river and glaciers in the areas surrounding the town.

That might be worthy of an extra trip in order to explore these natural wonders. Here are links for your benefit to different tour companies that take you on tours of either the upper Dells or the lower dells (separated by a dam).

http://www.wisconsinducktours.com/
    http://www.dellsboats.com/
    http://www.dells360.com/

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by TheGreatEscapist; 08-09-2007 at 08:23 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBaloo View Post
    The Travel Channel called Wisconsin Dells "America's Biggest Roadside Circus".
    That pretty much nails it. If you love kistch, then the Dells are for you.

I visited once way back in the early/mid 80's. Don't remember too much outside of the boat tour we took of the Dells, but I do remember the kistch and I read up on the current offerings on http://www.roadsideamerica.com.

If you want to hit a real amusement park, like others have said, spend a day at Great America in Gurnee, IL. I remember going there once or twice... also back in the early/mid 80's. I want to go back sometime as I don't remember much outside of the double-decker carousel.