Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Wonderful World

Re: Knott's Berry Farm - 8/11. Large crowds, and Hunt Preperations, plus more

Thanls for the photo's. The park looks very busy. And that mickey at the end kinda scares me
    I'm back MiceChat

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Ah, the "Pudgy" Mickey (Gordito)...

A classic
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Thanks for the report DB! Lots of changes going on in our old park. Not too sure if its good changes or bad, but judgeing from the 2 last changes (both rather un-themed coasters) I say bad. I really loved Knotts western flair. Ghost Rider was one of the last at least partial themed rides (the Q is nice). They just threw some old mining equipment at the base of the roller coasters with the last two, and thats just sad.

I have yet to go into Knotts during normal non-haunt hours for almost 10 years now. Its lots its charm for me. It ended when they replaced the Soap Box Dirby with Wind Jammer. Worst Roller Coaster Ever!

• FastPass n00b

I haven't been to Knott's Berry Farm since 1992, but I used to go there a LOT a long time ago. I have so many fond memories there and it's so sad how that park is being treated nowadays. At one time, it was a strong competitor to Disneyland and some areas even rivaled Disneyland's theming and charm. But now it looks like a generic Six Flags competitor and the sad thing is it just gets more and more generic as time goes by.

This park has never gotten the respect it deserves. For some reason it never found its niche and it's probably because it went after the same target audience as Disneyland and it was just too close by. Stuff like the Soap Box Derby, Haunted Shack, Calico Mine Train, panning for gold, getting held up by "bandits", an authentic ghost town, artisans, and the parachutes were stuff you could only find at Knott's. And now it's all gone, or most of it anyway.

Sorry, Walter. I did my personal best to support the park, but in the end the world just moved by too quickly for the Knott family to hold it in the black after they "bet the farm" (literally) on Ghostrider. I wonder if he's rolling in his grave or if he never really intended the park portion to take off anyway. I know he'd be pissed if they ever changed the restaurant.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-16-2007 at 08:31 PM.

• FastPass n00b

I'd just like to point out that Calico is still around only because of Walter Knott. Anyone who's driven up to Las Vegas from Southern California (like 90% of native Californians?) probably knows about the real ghost town Calico. It's small and expensive now, but Walter Knott really did his part to save the then-dying part of American history. Of course, today mining towns are completely dead, but thanks to him we still have pieces of it to remember just how we formed this part of the country.

No matter how badly his park is mistreated, and although he's not as personally attached to it as the other Walt, I'd just like to thank him for his work in preserving the past and creating a park that not only gave generations of kids a fun time, but taught them something about our past as well.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

FYI, Calico Mine Train, panning for gold, getting held up by "bandits", an authentic ghost town, and artisans are all still part of Knott's, along with the Classic Original Stagecoaches, the Narrow Gauge Steam Trains and the Timber Mountain Log Ride. The Wild Wild West show, Indian Dancers and the Calico Saloon show are also still performed daily, and the Bird Cage Theater is used during Christmas Season.

And there have been no changes to the Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, the chicken is still cut into 6 pieces, instead of the now normal 8 per fryer, same coating, same cooking method, etc. And the Biscuits and Boysenberry Pie are just as good and "homemade" as ever.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

And yet you couldn't take any pictures of Montezooma's Revenge, the most photo-neglected ride there? It's also one of the best coasters there, how was its wait time? Plus you went on a Saturday, of course it would be busy. I'm planning on going next week, hopefully it won't be as bad.

• Proud Monster Mommy!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    And the Log Ride is scheduled to have a NEW theme, "Pyromaniax", no more Red Moon Rising.....

Sorry to correct you - it was Red Moon Massacre
    ~Gina

Mothers of teenagers know why some animals eat their young!

•   
    • Ralzap

I hope that Boot hill is still there. It looked like the work in the pic's was showing it as bull dozed. I have always loved that part of the park the most, but last spring it was desperate need of repairs. The park has lost it's old west feel. Disney used to consider it a competitor, but now they could take the complete theme to DCA with pride.
    Great pictures as always...
    Ralzap

• Nouveau Membre

Quote Originally Posted by ralzap View Post
    I hope that Boot hill is still there. It looked like the work in the pic's was showing it as bull dozed. I have always loved that part of the park the most, but last spring it was desperate need of repairs. The park has lost it's old west feel. Disney used to consider it a competitor, but now they could take the complete theme to DCA with pride.
    Great pictures as always...
    I doubt that DCA will ever have a better old west theme than Knott's. Simply because DCA will never have actual Calico Ghost Town buildings, nor have an actual steam train. i bet that by the time DCA builds in their old west theme, their shops will offer the same thing that you can find at another store in another land. At least Knott's have shops that sell actual old west stuff and things that are not found on any other part of the park.

I doubt DCA will have a blacksmith, a knife store, etc.

In other words DCA will never have a better old west theme than Knott's.

• Still wants to be a cat!

When was DCA going to incorporate a Wild West Theme....I must have missed something somewhere????!!!!!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12