Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What Would You Have Done?

Here's the story...

I went to Knott's today to see their last ice show and when I pulled into the 3 hour (free) parking lot, I noticed a space was open near the front.

So as I was about to turn and pull in, there's this kid standing right in the middle of it. He's about 8 or 9 years old and doesn't move. So I politely motion my hand for him to move away, which he does, but has this look of puzzlement on his face.

Once I parked my car and left, I made a phone call on my cell and noticed that the kid was still standing around where my car was parked. It made me suspicious, so I decided to stick around nearby while on the phone to my friend.

The next thing I know, the little boys father comes up to me and is upset that I took his parking spot. He kept telling me some story as to why his son was holding the spot for him. He kept telling me how rude I was to tell his boy to move and said I wasn't human. He demanded that I move my car, for which I refused (at first). He then threaten to *deck me* if I didn't move my car. This little scenerio played out for about 3 mins, at which time I told him I'd call the police if he touched me at all. He then came back and said by the time he *decked me*, he'd be gone.

He was with his whole family and didn't want to stir up trouble. And because I didn't want to deal with any confertation with him, I backed down and eventually moved my car for him.

I was so pissed (excuse my language) after I moved my car that I didn't feel like going into the Park to see the ice...cuz I didn't want to run into him at any time again.

So what would YOU have done in a situation like that? I certainly didn't want to get beaten up for a stupid parking space. But afterwards, I was so mad at myself for backing down and giving in. How was I to know the boy was saving the spot. When I got out of my car, he never said a word to me. Perhaps I should've known better, but I honestly didn't.

As much as I enjoy going to Knott's Berry Farm, it certainly does host a totally different type of crowd...and I don't mean that in a good way either. Thanks for your input...

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Re: What Would You Have Done?

I wouldn't have taken the spot in the first place. OBVIOUSLY the boy standing in the middle of the spot was 'saving' it for his rednecked parents. Totally trailer I know. One reason I don't take my family to Knotts.

Sorry you ran into that. You probably made the right decision considering the circumstances.

• Shablagoo!

I would not have moved my car, unless there was a good reason. I especially would not have moved it after the guy started yelling at me. I don't back down from bullies. What kind of person leaves their kid just standing alone in a parking lot? He's lucky the kid did not get snatched.

• Nouveau Membre

well from what i know, when a person is standing in the middle of a parking spot it generally means that he/she is holding/saving the spot for their party. but i understand that in circumstances like those are not worth fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    As much as I enjoy going to Knott's Berry Farm, it certainly does host a totally different type of crowd...and I don't mean that in a good way either. Thanks for your input...
    what you just said it kinda troubles me a bit, since what you're stating is unfair. Lets all be fair here, DL also host different crowds that aren't good too. not just Knott's nor any other park.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

As maddening as this may be, I think you made the wisest and safest choice. Honestly, if someone was standing in the space, I wouldn't have parked there, but then again, it's a parking space for cars - not people...so the reality of it is, you had the right to park there. The kid might've said "Sir, I'm saving this for my Dad who is coming up the aisle right now." I think you might've been apt to let them have the space at that point - I would have. However, how are you to know that some random kid standing in a parking space is saving a space and not just 'standing there' - you know?

This is perfect reason why I haven't been to Knott's Berry Farm in 10 years. Not only has it lost it's 'cozy' charm, it seems to cater to folks like this fellow that was going to 'deck you'.........and I'm not saying that everyone that goes there is 'trailer-ish' like the classification one gave in a previous post, but @ Disneyland Resort, the parking area has CM's present so issues as such don't arise.

You made the right decision - just sorry you missed out on your day.

So what would YOU have done in a situation like that?
    Didn't realize Knotts had dropped that much, it's been at least a decade since I've been there. But similar issues led me to stop going to Magic Mountain.

Answer to your question of what I would have done isn't meant to suggest anything about what you should have done, we have to play it by ear as it plays out, individually.

I'm with you on the parking there, I would have never thought of the kid "saving" the spot. I've never seen such a thing. I would have just assumed the kid was standing in the way. The fact he DIDN'T say anything tells me he doesn't like doing this but he gets hit enough by the jerk father that he doesn't think he has a choice. So he solved the conundrum of gladly moving for you. Yeah, jumping to conclusions, I'm quite happy with.

I think the only thing I would have done differently at first would have been calling Knotts security as soon as it was clear the kid was still there. Not necessarily that HE was going to do anything, but these days, an unaccompanied kid of that age is too much a target. Something was "off", even if you didn't know what it was at the time.

Also, I would have called 911 as soon as the father started walking my way. Not saying that as a Monday morning quarterback, I've had two past run-ins with crazies, and as soon as I hit "phonebook" on my phone, I'll I have to do is press send because I have it open to 911.

And there's no way him approaching could have been anything but negative. This of course assumes I saw him with the kid and put two and two together. And at least having them on the line as the guy made his threat would have sealed the deal for him once the police arrived. If he tried to hit me in the meantime? I'd run as fast as I could while screaming for help.

I would not have moved the car. He does what he does, because he's learned he can get away with it.

I also would take self-defense classes, to a pro level. I'm afraid the trend doesn't look good for the quantity of people like him.

John

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

As much as I enjoy going to Knott's Berry Farm, it certainly does host a totally different type of crowd...and I don't mean that in a good way either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiser_Tu_2 View Post
    what you just said it kinda troubles me a bit, since what you're stating is unfair. Lets all be fair here, DL also host different crowds that aren't good too. not just Knott's nor any other park.
    Exactly. I believe your statement about Knotts is completely bogus. Different crowds??? I've been there and the crowds that go there look awfully similar to the crowds I see at Disneyland (maybe at Halloween Haunt I can see what you're talking about), the holiest of theme parks in your eyes most likely. Totally uncalled for and I'm actually kind of offended by it.

But to go back to your little story, I would have parked there and I would not have moved after the idiot of a father yelled at me. He would look like the bully yelling at a 5'5" girl. I don't know if he would have reacted differently because the OP is a guy and I'm a girl, but I could have put on a good crying show if he said crap to me. No one should be able to stand in a friggin' parking spot to "hold" it for their party. I've gone to Knott's quite a bit to go to Mrs. Knotts and park wherever I find a spot open (excluding Handicapped spots, of course). Besides, my car is so small the kid wouldn't probably have had to move at all. But seriously, who makes their 8-9 year old kid save a parking spot for them at a theme park alone? My parents never left me alone in a public place at that age.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I wouldn't have moved. I would have just walked away. What a great example to set for your children because someone took your spot.

What a baby!

• World Traveler

I think in the end, you did the right thing. If you would have been with someone else, it would have been different.

Personally, I would have probably just walked away and hoped that the guy didn't do anything to my car.

• Circle of Ancients

Knott's = the NEW Magic Mountain.

I would not have backed down. Let the guy hit you, there are security camera's EVERYWHERE in that area. Parent of the year. Tell your kid to stand in a parking spot, then get in a fight in front of him.

That is all.

• MA Reader Since 2003

You did the right thing by just moving your car, you never know if someone is crazy enough to shoot you over something like this. I would love to have been there with my cousi, he fights in the UFC, and could have taught the guy a lesson. Although in reality he probably would have done what you did becuase its just not worth the risk of getting killed over something so dumb.
    Last edited by Diznyfan; 08-27-2007 at 12:28 PM.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Knight that says Nee!!

It is up to our individual personalitys really. Some people handle conflict better than others.

In California it is a felony (PC 422) to threaten anyone with bodily harm (to "deck" someone) if it is shown that the person making the threat has the ability and intention of carrying the threat out.

If I was in that situation and my family was present I would have moved them away from the area while I (or my wife) called the local police. I then would meet the police and return to the scene to see if the person was there still (and to make sure my vehicle was not damaged).

If I was alone, I would have called the police as soon as he threatened to "deck me" and once I knew they were on the way I would tell the guy to "swing away" if he thinks a parking spot is worth going to jail for and I would defend myself accordingly.

In neither case would I move my car and give into a bully. I will admit though that I would not have gotten into this situation because, as others have said here, a person standing in the middle of a parking spot is generally a "universal" sign that the spot is being saved. Is it rude and arrogant to do that in a large amusement park lot? Yes. Is it even more ignorant to make a young child do the saving? Yes. Be that as it may, I would have found a different spot to park and perhaps called security to report a possible case of child endangerment.

If you feel the conflict was too much for you or at a level that wasn't worth a parking spot, then you did the right thing for yourself.

• For You!

I can't believe people actually save spaces like that! I think it's first come first serve, right? And never would I have my kid stand out there.

I commend you for taking the high road DisneyFunGuy - a parking space is just not worth it. But, I am sorry that you didn't stay for the show.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

I'm sure the kid got hit for giving up the spot so easy.

I say the dad needs to be decked.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I don't think I would have moved it, but then again I don't back down to bullies. Most of the time thier talk is cheap and if you show you aren't going to budge, the will get upset, call a few names then take off. I would have gotten the license number of his car first though, because if anything did happen, you can track him down that way.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast