Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: Hershey Park made me appreciate Disney all the more!

Yes TacAlert, my husband and I did compare Hershey to Disney. Thank you for pointing that out. But...I did not list those comparisons in my post because my post was not about the difference between the two but about my husband and I coming to the realization that we like Disney better. Plain and simple. I'm just sorry I could not articulate that better in my post. But please feel free to keep pushing me down. That always makes people feel good.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I think that it is next to impossible to not compare an Amusement Park with a Disney Park. It is fun to visit both, but the comparisons are going to come up.

I believe that many people who regularly visit a place like Cedar Point, for example, may walk into Disneyland, and say where are the rides?

• Circle of Ancients

Good point barbaraann ...

I see alot of thrill junkies saying that Disney sucks because there aren't enough thrills.

I see alot of Disney people going to amusement parks and saying there isn't enough "Family" stuff, or it's not "Disney" enough.

The two are seperate.

As somebody who loves both Disney and Amusement parks (coasters) it's easy for me to seperate the two.

I don't go to a park like Six Flags Great Adventure looking for "Disney" quality rides. I go looking for coasters that are going to thrill me. I don't care about any themeing, consistincy among the themeing, etc. Of course, when an area is nicely done (like the area around Kingda Ka, or area's of Hersheypark) I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the other hand, I don't go to Disney looking for thrilling coasters, I go to be immersed in "Disney".

On on the third hand, there are parks that are "Amusement" parks in the traditional sense, but have a certain "Disney-esque" quality. Bonfante ... er, Gilroy Gardens comes to mind. Not "Disney" quality in rides, but in beauty and gardens and a nice setting, it's absolutely gorgeous. Personally I think it's the most "naturally" beautiful park I've ever been to.

I certainly think that the TS is entitled to their opinion, and I'll admit, even though I frequent Disney vs. Non-Disney parks I too have found myself trying to compare things. I also don't think we should be getting on the TS's case because of their opinion. It's their opinion, and that's just fine.

Let's just all make sure we are stating our OPINIONS in a cordial manner.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Good point barbaraann ...

I see alot of thrill junkies saying that Disney sucks because there aren't enough thrills.

I see alot of Disney people going to amusement parks and saying there isn't enough "Family" stuff, or it's not "Disney" enough.

The two are seperate.

As somebody who loves both Disney and Amusement parks (coasters) it's easy for me to seperate the two.

I don't go to a park like Six Flags Great Adventure looking for "Disney" quality rides. I go looking for coasters that are going to thrill me. I don't care about any themeing, consistincy among the themeing, etc. Of course, when an area is nicely done (like the area around Kingda Ka, or area's of Hersheypark) I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the other hand, I don't go to Disney looking for thrilling coasters, I go to be immersed in "Disney".

On on the third hand, there are parks that are "Amusement" parks in the traditional sense, but have a certain "Disney-esque" quality. Bonfante ... er, Gilroy Gardens comes to mind. Not "Disney" quality in rides, but in beauty and gardens and a nice setting, it's absolutely gorgeous. Personally I think it's the most "naturally" beautiful park I've ever been to.

I certainly think that the TS is entitled to their opinion, and I'll admit, even though I frequent Disney vs. Non-Disney parks I too have found myself trying to compare things. I also don't think we should be getting on the TS's case because of their opinion. It's their opinion, and that's just fine.

Let's just all make sure we are stating our OPINIONS in a cordial manner.
    I completely agree with you on this. As much as people love to bash SIx Flags, I do love going there for their coasters. I love Disney's coasters but there's not much of a thrill to them. I don't expect Six Flags or Hershey to be Disney. (The area around Kingda Ka actually is really nice). It always bothers me when people make it seem as if other parks are a waste of time because they're not Disney. (By the way, that was not directed at the OP.) Amusement parks need to be taken as what they're for - amusement. Sure they might not be themed like Disney but I don't need theme to have a good time. It certainly adds to my enjoyment, but then again, so does a 200 ft. tall roller coaster. I guess that's one of the reasons I love Busch Gardens so much. You get the best of both worlds - great theming (maybe not as perfect as Disney but still great) and thrilling rides. Did I mention the park is incredibly beautiful? And when you live in the northeast, taking a day trip to Hershey or SF or a several day trip to BG is so much more practical than saving up thousands of dollars to visit a Disney resort.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Just for the record, Mr. Hershey didn't make Reese's ... they just acquired it.

Welcome Touchdown, nice to see another Coaster Geek around!!!
    Oh, I know he didn't make it . If I am correct, Reese's joined the family after he died right?

• Sock Puppet

Lets just say the only place in california that celebrates BEANS!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Thank you for Reese's!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you anymore!

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

REESE'S PEANUT BUTTERCUPS: Well, the boulevards of Anaheim don't exactly smell like chocolate!

HERSHEY BAR: Yeah, and they ain't got no Hershey Kiss streetlights, either!

Magic Journeys...

• Circle of Ancients

Here are the streetlamps that saddlesore swanson is referring to:

They have ones still in the wrapper, and ones without the wrapper.

Also, did you know the name of the town isn't actually Hershey.

• Minion

One problem when people compare parks like this to Disney is : not realizing that they have a much smaller budget to work with and also they aren't trying to be a "Disney" park. I haven't been to Hershey Park yet, but I would like to. I would definately take Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Holiday World over DCA. At least those 3 don't fail at what they desire to give guests. I find it funny that when Disney tried to built something more akin to a "seasonal rollercoaster park," they built quite possibly the worst one in the nation, ecspecially when it first opened. And yes I am referring to DCA.

• Sock Puppet

Lets just say the only place in california that celebrates BEANS!

Nancy was trying to share a fun time she had and a lot of people are just downing it. So how about you people stop complaining about how she said certain things and start complimenting her TR!!!

Great TR! Nancy enjoyed it alot!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan4lyfe View Post
    Nancy was trying to share a fun time she had and a lot of people are just downing it. So how about you people stop complaining about how she said certain things and start complimenting her TR!!!

Great TR! Nancy enjoyed it alot!
    Thank you Disneyfan4lyfe, that was very nice of you to say. It is always good to have people like you in my corner.

My husband and I decided that when we go back to Hershey, we will just go with our little family. It's hard going with another family, you all have to agree on what to do. Believe it or not, our favorite place in the area is Hershey World, tha place that has the dark ride, the 3D show, the trolley ride, "Hershey Kiss Worker" and all the chocolate you could ever imagine all in one place! And we have yet to actually explore the town.

We have had a month or so to rethink our trip, and we will be back. It is only a four hour drive from our house. We will just do things differently this time, and like previous posters have noted, we will try not to compare the park with any other parks out there. Or if we do, we will keep it to ourselves.

• Circle of Ancients

Nancy, Chocolate World was one of our favorites as well. I know they re-did the dark ride since we have been there, I'm interested to see what's changed.

We are tentatively planning on going next June after the kids get out of school.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    One problem when people compare parks like this to Disney is : not realizing that they have a much smaller budget to work with and also they aren't trying to be a "Disney" park. I haven't been to Hershey Park yet, but I would like to. I would definately take Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Holiday World over DCA. At least those 3 don't fail at what they desire to give guests. I find it funny that when Disney tried to built something more akin to a "seasonal rollercoaster park," they built quite possibly the worst one in the nation, ecspecially when it first opened. And yes I am referring to DCA.
    I don't think that Disney was trying to build a "Seasonal" Disney park with DCA. They were trying for something "Different" which obviously most people didn't like.

As for the worst coaster park in the country? Hardly.

But were getting off-topic again.

Nancy, Great TR. Glad you had fun.

• Minion

Sounds like you had FUN! Great TR
    Har har har

• Senior Minion

They just closed the Hershey Plant(In Oakdale, Ca) to move production to Mexico.
    More American jobs lost.
    That's the bad news.

The Good news is they are having a sweepstakes for a million bucks.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast