Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Hershey Park made me appreciate Disney all the more!

I live near Pittsburgh and my family decided to spend a few days near Hershey with some friends. We had been there once before in the eight years we have lived in Pennsylvania. But the last time we went we only hung out at HersheyWorld, took the trolley through town and took a look at the wonderful Hershey Lodge. We did not to into the park. But this time we did.

We met some friends who had been there a number of times. We relied on them to show us around. (Tip: Never rely on others to show you around. Do your research. Study the maps online and decide where you want to go and to get a layout of the land.) Before I go any farther, I do want to say that I realize Milton Hershey did not set out to make Disneyland. Heck, Disney himself was still drawing cartoons when Hershey made it big. He just wanted to create a nice park for his employees to enjoy. Little by little, rides were introduced and an amusement park developed. That is what I have to call it, an amusement park. By no means is this a theme park like Disneyland. It really is like a Six Flags, only with bigger trees. Now don't get me wrong, it is a lovely park, but not up to Disney standards.

Throughout the day, my husband and I could not stop comparing Hershey to DL. I won't get into all the comparisons here, but above all, Disney just does it better. They are Zeus while the others are just minor players. It really made us appreciate how wonderful and magical DL and WDW are.

I don't know if we will be back to Hershey Park any time soon. Although, Hershey World was great. A huge building devoted to the selling of chocolate? Such a dream come true! But when you have sampled the best that the theme park industry has to offer, why settle for anything less?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Hershey Park made me appreciate Disney all the more!

I agree. I just returned from PA and can totally relate. I will say this--it was better then any Six Flags. The theme was maintained throughout and there was a great vibe about the place.

And their one dark ride? The mock up ride through the "Chocolate World?" I will give them credit. Since a sizable budget went into this one experience, well, wow. It was one of the few things at the location I would have graded as on par with Disney. The sizeable giftshop at the exit; the ultra clean presentation.

It's as if they went to Dland and DWorld and copied what they saw on this one attraction!

Hmmmmm!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

Why would you even attempt to compare Hersheypark to DL or WDW? It's not fair for the park at all. Disney does it better? Of course they do. They are the leaders in the theme park industry. I love Hersheypark. Is it as good as Disney? Obviously not, but I'm glad it's not Disney. Hershey can offer things Disney can't. Outside of the big theme park companies (Disney, Universal, Busch), it is one of the best parks out there and one of the very few not absorbed by another company. Comparing it to Six Flags is a gross comparison as well. It is much cleaner and overall just far superior to Six Flags.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

They've got more than one dark ride.

I'd take Hersheypark over DCA any day.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Why would you even attempt to compare Hersheypark to DL or WDW? It's not fair for the park at all. Disney does it better? Of course they do. They are the leaders in the theme park industry. I love Hersheypark. Is it as good as Disney? Obviously not, but I'm glad it's not Disney. Hershey can offer things Disney can't. Outside of the big theme park companies (Disney, Universal, Busch), it is one of the best parks out there and one of the very few not absorbed by another company. Comparing it to Six Flags is a gross comparison as well. It is much cleaner and overall just far superior to Six Flags.
    Agreed, I love Hersheypark for what it is, not trying to compare it, the same way I dont try to compare Busch parks to Disney, it doesn't have the same limitations that Disney does either, on its coasters and thrill rides.

• World Traveler

The only attraction that I truly remember from my visit to Hershey was "Chocolate World." Everything else was forgotten.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

I really hate when people try to compare a mega year round resort to a seasonal amusement park, because frankly they just aren't comparable. Its like trying to compare a five star restaurant to a barbecue. Is the five star restaurant better in every possible way? Of course it is, but thats not the point, barbecues are fantastic in their own right and should be judged against other barbecues actively comparing Disney to Hershey while their is akin to a person complaining at a barbecue that its not nearly as good a quality as the five star place they ate at last night.

To me there are three categories of parks (from best to good
    -Disney Parks
    -Theme Parks
    -Amusement Parks

While you can compare them one on one, they really give you very different experiences. Also to me, Hersheypark is one of the countries best Amusement Parks out there.

• Circle of Ancients

Wow, we had an awesome time at Hershey when we went.

Sure, it's not Disney, but it's not intended to be. But it's CERTAINLY not comparable to Six Flags. Even the good ones.

WOW! What a reaction. One I did not expect. I am not trying to compare Hershey with Disney and to point out the bad things, even though it may sound that way. I was just stating that after our trip to Hershey, it made me appreciate DL and WDW even more. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time at the park and I know it was not designed to be a DL (like I said in my op), it is better then a Six Flags, but it is still an amusement park. It is not in the same league as DL, I know that and they know that. They are not trying to be DL. We enjoyed it for what it was.

What I am trying to say, is that I love DL and WDW and Hershey Park made me appreciate all the things and all the people we meet while in a Disney environment. I was not trying to bash Hershey. (Lord knows we buy enough of their chocolate, and Milton Hershey was a great man.) This post was suppose to be a "love" letter to Disney parks. I'm sorry I was not able to express my feelings better. It is something that I will strive to do better on.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

^Nancy Im sorry if I came out as a little harsh but as one of the (very) few and proud coaster enthusiasts that also love Disney I really hate it when Disney people bash great amusement parks/theme parks (which Hershey is) because they aren't Disney and likewise when enthusiasts moan that "Disney is all style no substance" or "Disney is for kids" or "All of Disney rides suck" etc.

Thats said if you really wanted to make a "love letter" you perhaps should have put it in the DL or WDW forum and not the other park forum, since this is forum is for discussing other parks, not Disney parks, so instead of comparing Disney favorably to Hershey you come across as bashing Hershey and you even called it a "Six Flags with Trees." Which really comes across as bad because here is some other things Hershey has over a sterotypical Six Flags (ie not SFGAm, SFFT, SFOG, SFOT which Hershey will only have some of the things listed below better then them) besides trees:
    -Friendly Staff
    -Edible, affordable food
    -Ride Maintenance
    -Flat Rides
    -Clean Midways and Restrooms

You are right Touchdown, I should have put this in the DL or WDW thread. And once again, I just want to say, I do like Hershey Park and I'm sorry if I came across too negative, I didn't mean to.

I love roller coasters too, but right now my kids are too young to go on them and my 11 year old is not quite brave enough yet, so we only went on two while we were there. Places like Hershey and Six Flags are great for that kind of thrill. Disney is a bit lacking in that department. But since my kids are not into thrill rides, Disney is perfect. My husband and I just thought that Disney is the way to go for us right now, until the kids get older. Our day in Hershey Park just brought that realization home.

Now we absolutly loved Hershey World and their "dark" ride. I could have spend all day in that place.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I honestly just bow to Mr. Hershey. Thank you for making the Hershey company! Thank you for Reese's!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

^ Just for the record, Mr. Hershey didn't make Reese's ... they just acquired it.

Welcome Touchdown, nice to see another Coaster Geek around!!!

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Throughout the day, my husband and I could not stop comparing Hershey to DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I am not trying to compare Hershey with Disney .
    Sounds like you are.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Welcome Touchdown, nice to see another Coaster Geek around!!!

Thanks! Im a long time lurker and a bit of an infrequent poster (I actually joined back in Jan but I havent posted much so Im easy to miss but I love all parks, loved my trip to Disney this summer and cant wait to hit Cedar Point for Halloweekends next Friday!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast