Everyone wants to know which is better, and I've already had the chance to do both, so I thought I'd start a discussion. Now, I didn't get to see any shows, so I don't have an opinion on those at all. But as for the rest, Pros and cons of both:
Knott's Halloween Haunt
- Lots of mazes (13, count 'em)
- Greater originality of themes
- Great deal with Pre-Haunt Dinner & Early entry
- Two themed ride "mazes" (Log Ride and Calico Mine Train)
- Over 30+ years of experience and tradition
- Ghost Town scare zone is always a classic
- Some mazes are more "atmospheric" or "humorous" rather than "scary" (a con for many, but actually a plus for me)
- Lots of security throughout the park
- With so many monsters, the talent can be uneven at times (especially inside the mazes)
- Boy, does it get crowded (get there as early as possible, or take advantage of the pre-scare dinner)
- Some mazes are better than others
- If you go a lot, the mazes can get predictable
USH Halloween Horror Nights
- Great production value on its mazes
- Monsters are very aggressive and "in your face"
- Lots of live "victims" of murder, torture, and mutilation within the mazes add to a greater sense of unease (and a touch of humor, depending on your point of view)
- Effects are quite gruesome, and fairly high on the gore level (a con for a few, but not for me)
- They take it so seriously, it's funny at times (for example: in the zombie scare zone, they had military guys on bullhorns, shouting how the "area is unsafe... we cannot be held responsible for your safety... please clear this area... the president has been notified... etc." )
- Security is present
- Only 5 mazes (and that's counting the tram tour maze)?
- Boy, does it get crowded (if you go, get there early! They say they open at 7, but security gates were opened at 6:30, and they let people fully into the park at 6:45, which allowed to get the mazes in early with no lines)
- Scare zones are effective, but very small
- Darn those escalators!
- No early entry, and front of the line passes are way too expensive to be worth it (over $130!)
- Once you do the mazes, there's not much left to do...
Now, all this is just my opinion. I'm sure others will weigh in with their thoughts. Let's hear it!