Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Knott's Berry Farm History

I totally love old time Knott's Berry Farm. Today's Knott's is a sad shadow of its former self.

Ahhhhh Knott's Berry Tales. Back in the day when Knott's still wanted to be a family friendly "Theme" park instead of the thrill park that Ceder Fair has made it into today.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion

ORGOCH: Me 'n my two looney sisters likes Nuts Berry Farm, our OWN dang selves, Dustysagebrush, ducklin'. Thanks fer takin' the time ta tip yer hat ta the place.

ORWEN: And always remember, no matter how bad things get there, they could NEVER get as bad as they are in Morva!

ORDDU: Indeed! Why do you think I'm always having to leave the place in order to find suitable gorgeous hunks all the time? The cowboys they have at Knotts Berry Farm are some of the best!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I totally love old time Knott's Berry Farm. Today's Knott's is a sad shadow of its former self.

Ahhhhh Knott's Berry Tales. Back in the day when Knott's still wanted to be a family friendly "Theme" park instead of the thrill park that Ceder Fair has made it into today.
    Very, very well said. Went there with my two young boys and wife a few years ago. Couldn't believe how much of the magic was gone. First sign of it was the TGIF's now across from the chicken dinner restaurant...

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

"Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Just found this great 70's advertisement, I think its very creative, back then it really was a good competitor with Disneyland.

In it I see:
    Sky Jump
    Sky Cabin
    Sn Francisco Cable Cars
    Hunter's Paradise Shooting Gallery
    John Wayne Theater
    Cloud Theater
    Bird Cage Theater
    Corkscrew
    Wheeler Dealer Bumper Cars
    Motorcycle Chase
    Gasoline Alley
    Calico Railroad
    Pan for Gold
    Calico Mine Train
    Timber Mountain Log Ride
    Butterfield Stagecoach
    Mexican Hat Dance
    Dentzel Carousel
    Wagon Camp
    Greased Lightning
    Propellor Spin
    Loop Trainer Flying Machine
    Tijuana Taxi
    Fiesta Wheel
    Amusement Games
    Reflection Lake Boat

No sign of Knott's Bear-y Tales

The airplanes are not the Red Baron attraction since Camp Snoopy was made later than this.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Here's another brochure and map from 1977. It's got lots of funky 70s style drawings on it, it's pretty cool really.

This thread is pretty awesome, I've looked for a nice collection of Knott's stuff for a while now and this is a great resource.

I didn't see this in this thread but if it was I'm sorry. Here's a link to a blog that just popped up last month with TONS of history stuff.

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    The Tijuana Taxi and Jungle Island Train both live on at Castle Park in Riverside, CA.
    Is the Tijuana Taxi the Antique Car Ride at Castle Park? And JI Train is the Castle Park train ride? Those are two of the only good rides at Castle Park. Go figure...

Awww, so many memories!

I never got to ride Corkscrew, but Boomerang is a nice replacement. The Tampico Tumbler and GranSlammer were so much fun. But it's a shame BOTH rides were taken out for La Revolucion! At least the Hat Dance, Dragon Swing, and the swings are still there. I miss the Sky Jump! It was a great alternative for young ones to ride if they were too young and too afraid to ride Supreme Scream. I don't know why they would take that out. I was really disappointed that they took out the Kingdom of the Dinosaurs. Though I didn't like that they put all the cars together to form long trains, thus having to stop twice in the ride. The loved the SoapBox Derby! But again, Xcelerator (though very short) is a nice replacement.

I wish they would make posters and advertisements like they did back then. All they do now is slap some picture of some ugly kid screaming with maybe a ride or two in the background and maybe a picture of Snoopy.

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    Is the Tijuana Taxi the Antique Car Ride at Castle Park?
    Yep, that's the one! Isn't it fun? That thing hauls pretty well even still huh?

Another item I remember from the not-too-distant past of Knott's was a building that housed nothing more than a diorama. The building was located behind, I wanna say, the small candy shop in Ghost Town that's near Boot Hill and the Glass shop, etc. That row. So this building was behind those other ones, meaning not many people would see it unless they strayed from the beaten path. Inside was a whole family sitting down to Thanksgiving Dinner. It didn't have any animation or sound, just static figures. The first time I saw them, it was clear that they were really old - the faces were mostly blank. Then a couple of years later, I saw that some clever genius had attached SCARY "eyes" onto each face! They all then had a decidedly possessed look, but at least they were still there. I'm pretty sure that whole building was razed - but not sure why.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Senior Minion

I really miss the Soap Box Racers now!

•   
    • Super Hero

Growing up in Southern California, I have many happy memories of Knott’s Berry Farm. It used to be free to get in, so Mom and Dad would take my sister and me there every Sunday. I have a vague memory of an alligator farm across the street, but I don’t remember ever going there. That later became a pottery place (Pottery Shack??) and my mom loved to browse in there while I fretted about valuable Knott’s time being wasted. I’d get all excited when I saw the prospector and mule atop the Knott’s sign. We’d park in the GRASS parking lot, where chickens ran around. We’d go on the car ride that was in the parking lot and I remember it was MUCH cooler than Disneyland’s Autopia because you actually got to drive the car. We’d walk past the Chicken Dinner restaurant and past the candy factory, where my sister and I would stand on tip-toe and watch wonderful grandma-type ladies dip candies into chocolate with incredible skill. I thought they had the best job in the whole world. We’d stop and wait for the volcano to erupt and I was always scared of the devil in the glass case that would turn the handle. Sometimes, we got to pan for gold. I remember thinking I was incredibly rich as I clutched my little vial of gold flakes.

We’d walk through Ghost Town and my dad had the guy in jail say hello to me and use my name. I was amazed! We’d look at all of the scenes in the buildings, even though they were always the same. I remember the can can girl’s leg kicking out of the upstairs window and we’d all sit down for a sarsaparilla at the saloon. The bartender would tell kids if they could spell sarsaparilla correctly, we’d get a free drink. I never got it right! I can remember the musty smell inside of Mott’s Miniatures and I hated going in there, but my dad was just fascinated with miniatures. We’d watch teenage couples getting married (with a license, even!) by Judge Roy Bean. We’d watch the Ghost Town stunt show where they would shoot really loud guns and I think I remember a cowboy falling out of an upstairs window to a backstage area. I loved the Bottle Shop and remember thinking when I grew up, my house would be made of bottles, too.

We’d run from one mission diorama to the next, while my parents strolled leisurely behind us. There were little cars you could put a quarter into and they’d rumble up and down, but we loved the kid-sized town façade behind it. We’d try to open every door and I remember thinking the door with the faux-stained glass in it being my favorite. We’d ride the car ride near there and always honk the horn a hundred times through the tunnel. We loved the merry-go-round at Knott’s much more than the carousel at Dland, because there were so many unique animals on the Knott’s merry-go-round. I loved the Haunted Shack. As an adult, I was always the one picked to sit in the little chair hanging on the wall (I think they always pick a small adult for that). Thanks to niklj for bringing back the memory of the skeleton in the outhouse!! I’ve had a memory of this and I didn’t know where it was from. I opened the door to that outhouse and was SCARED TO DEATH to see a skeleton sitting on the toilet (I think he was even reading a magazine). I remember his head turned toward the door and his jaw dropped open. There may have been a voice that said something like, “Hey, can’t ya see I’m in here?”. I backpedaled away so fast and that memory has since been seared into my brain. We’d go on the huge steam train and I was terrified of the robbers. My dad would always ham it up and feign relief at how they didn’t get OUR money or we’d have to go home.

I liked watching the ladies make funnel cakes. If we were good, we were allowed to get some candy from the Ghost Town candy store where there were lots and lots of loose candies stored in glass jars. We’d pick the one we wanted and the grandma-lady in the pretty dress (they had such wonderful costumes for their employees!) would open the jar and put our candy into a little red and white striped bag. Lunch would always be at the Ghost Town Grill because Dad said they had the best food there. I remember going on the Stagecoach and getting to ride up on the top of the coach once. There were a lot of animals at Knott’s. We’d always walk through Old MacDonald’s Farm, even though the seals were stinky. There were round cages with birds right there in the walkways and there was even a round cage of little monkeys.

When we were older, Mom would drop a group of us off for the day at Jungle Island, which was ‘across the street’ from the park, though still a part of it. We’d play tag and hide-and-seek all over the island. The island had carved wooden figures of animals that you could play on. I remember it took me a lot of tries to make it all the way across the animal balance beam without falling off. We had a field trip to Independence Hall once, which was also on that side of the street, along with paddle boats and another carousel.

As an adult, I remember the Christmas holidays where Knott’s would open the Ghost Town area on weeknights for Christmas shopping. They’d bring in unique vendors and crafters. There was a man there hand-carving a carousel horse that was incredibly detailed and absolutely beautiful. I asked him what the hardest part was about carving a carousel horse and he said, “Knowing when to stop”!

Ah, good times, good times.
    Last edited by Wanda Woman; 02-06-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• The line's too long...

Wow, that's a great post of memories, thanks for sharing.

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    Wow, that's a great post of memories, thanks for sharing.
    Awww, thanks, vfire!
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

DL_CRAZE, you've started quite an amazing thread. I took Knott's for granted as a child even though I went more often then than I do now. But funny reason is that even as a kid, I felt it was filled with too many kiddie rides hahaha!

Thanks for sharing the photos, the memories, the passion.

I'll try and see if I can dig up some personal photos of Knott's and add them here.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Were the Cordelia K. Steamboat and Lagoon Railroad from outside the park the same as the defunct Water K. Steamboat the Scenic Railroad in camp snoopy?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234