SD area fire impact on tourism

I have planned a trip to San Diego for Thursday, but I'm a little torn. I'm heartbroken by the fires and the impact they're having on San Diegans, but I still have airline tickets for Thursday and we've purchased legoland and seaworld tickets already. As much as I hate the thought, I can't help but hope things calm down enough for us to have a decent trip.

I know, I know. It's cold-hearted. I've looked at SD's visitors bureau's website and it seems most everything is still open (other than the Wild Animal Park). Cancelling the trip is really out of the question. I'm just wondering if there will be any of San Diego left by the time we fly in.

Re: SD area fire impact on tourism

I'm sorry to hear about your vacation plans. If you have any possibility of cancelling, I'd stay out of SD county this week. More than 300,000 of my fellow San Diegans are under mandatory evacuation orders. Some might be allowed to return home today, but it seems likely most will be in the hotels and shelters through Weds at the least.

The air quality is horrible, and isn't likely to improve for days. Sea World is closed today. Legoland is also closed, although I understand that it was already scheduled to be closed. The Wild Animal Park is in a fire zone - Legoland is quite close to one.

If I were you I would not come to San Diego. I am evacuated from my house and it is a state of emergency here. There is absolutely no control of the fire so nowhere is safe, on the news right now Carlsbad by Legoland is being evacuated. Hotel rooms are also booked by the 3000 people who have been evacuated by the fires and if you have a hotel room booked please cancel it for the people who need it here in San Diego.

• LLC Master Builder

Though I am not an official representative of Legoland, I can refer you to the park website: http://www.legoland.com/California.htm where they should give updates to see if the park will be open or not on Thursday. The park was closed on Monday and the scheduled closed days are normally Tuesday & Wednesday. If you have any questions whether the park will be open or not on Thursday, you can call the park at 760-918-5346. Hopefully the representatives at that line can give you better information than I can.

The conditions up here in North County San Diego are not good right now. There is a lot of smoke in the air right now with the winds blowing it all towards the ocean. The local governments have all advised everyone to remain indoors if possible and not to be out if they do not need to be. I would advise that you should really consider postponing your trip here if at all possible.
    "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!" - Me, with a B.S. in Astrophysics.

Professionally building with LEGO bricks since 2007. Visit Legoland California to see some of my work!

Tomorrowland Attractions CM: 6/24/05-8/24/06
    Survived Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, and the Mark V Monorail.

DCL_Becky's Prince Charming

Thanks for the updates. I've been listening online to KOGO 600 all day and it sounds horrible. I feel for all of you that are affected.

It's a tough call. I called the SD Convention and Visitors Bureau and they tell me downtown is fine, but the hotel we have reservations at evacuated yesterday.

We had all but cancelled the vacation (postponing is not an option, unfortunately) and called the Marriott to cancel our reservations. To our surprise, the desk clerk told me they had reopened for business and were looking forward to seeing us Thursday.

If it were just me and my wife and we had the freedom to reschedule, we would in a heartbeat. But like most average families, the dates are kind of set in stone. We've planned this vacation for over a year and finalized tickets and arrangements months ago. It would be impossible for my wife and I to reschedule our time off work and take the kids out of school.

I'm giving it until Wednesday afternoon before I pull the plug on this trip. The hotel says come, the visitor's bureau says come, the news says don't. What an emotional rollercoaster!

• Boozer, User, and Loser

I would say don't come if you can't. If these plans were all in place to begin with, and cancelling just isn't feasible, then come visit. By Thursday the winds should be blowing east and the threat on the coast will be over.
    Like others said, the hotels should be available for San Diego residents displaced. We were trying to get rooms for employees at our company, and a big convention is coming to town, so rooms were booked already. I believe by the end of the week, a lot of residents will be allowed back into neighborhoods. Even though a lot of structures have burned, it doesn't require nearly as many hotel rooms available for victims as other disasters that destroy more property.

• LLC Master Builder

As of tonight (Tuesday night), the winds have calmed down here in North County San Diego and the smoke is much lighter than it has been. They are lifting the evacuation orders for Carlsbad, so Legoland is in the clear and will hopefully reopen on Thursday.

This is directly from the front page of Legoland's website at http://www.legoland.com/California.htm:

LEGOLAND California will not open for business today out of respect and consideration for the firefighters as well as victims of the many fires currently burning in San Diego County.

We are saddened by this situation that affects so much of California at this time and our thoughts and prayers go out to those families affected by the fires.

LEGOLAND California will open for business Thursday as usual pending further developments in the news.

I am fairly certain the site will be updated with new information if the park will be closed on Thursday. If not, call the park's information line: 760-918-5346. And just incase that does not have the information you need, you can speak to a representative directly if you call: 760-438-5346 (which is the number you get to if you remain on the other line after the long recording).

As for SeaWorld, their website says they are going to be closed tomorrow, Wednesday Oct. 24. This is their statement from their website:

SeaWorld Closed Oct. 24, 2007

SeaWorld will be closed Wednesday Oct. 24 due to air quality concerns from the fires burning throughout San Diego County. While there are no fires in the park’s immediate vicinity, we feel this is the appropriate action. We also are adhering to the mayor’s request to keep the roadways clear of non-essential vehicles and to conserve the use of water and electricity.

The park’s animals are in good health. SeaWorld’s veterinarian team are keeping close watch on the animals’ and monitoring them around the clock.

At this time, it has not been determined when the park will reopen.

You can check their website at http://www.seaworld.com/sandiego/ for more information and updates as they have them.

I hope this information helps and I hope if you come, you get to enjoy your trip!

Professionally building with LEGO bricks since 2007. Visit Legoland California to see some of my work!

According to LEGOLAND California's website...

LEGOLAND California will not open for business on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007 due to current circumstances in San Diego County. There are no fires in the Park’s immediate vicinity and LEGOLAND California will be open for regular Park hours on Friday, Oct. 26, 2007 pending further developments in the news.
    Thmprkinsder
    "Just remember it all started with a mouse!"

• LLC Master Builder

And according to Sea World San Diego's website:

SeaWorld will be closed Thursday, Oct. 25 due to concerns from the fires continuing to burn throughout San Diego County. We also are adhering to the requests by city officials to keep the roadways clear of non-essential vehicles and to conserve the use of water and electricity.

The park’s animals are in good health. SeaWorld’s veterinary team is keeping close watch on the animals. The park’s engineers and water quality team are maintaining all life support and environmental systems.

At this time, it has not been determined when the park will reopen.

Guests affected by the park closure who have pre-purchased tickets, dining reservations or animal interactions should call SeaWorld’s Contact Center at (800) 25-SHAMU.
    I can tell you that the employees of the Wild Animal Park will be there, but cannot say for certain whether the park will be open or not. Their website does say the park is planning on reopening Thursday. I know for a fact that the Journey into Africa tour guides will be there if the park opens (my girlfriend is one of them and was called into work).

• Rather Be At Disneyland

Sea World will be closed Thursday but will re-open for the weekend. I work there, and that is what my manager has informed me.

Well, we're down here now. It was really smoky coming over the mountains. We're staying in Rancho Bernardo with blue skies overhead. Hoping SW and Legoland open as scheduled.

• LLC Master Builder

Legoland is planning on opening tomorrow at 10am and will resume it's normal operating hours of 10am to 5pm. However on Saturday and Sunday the park is having it's last "Brick or Treat After Dark" events of the month and portions of the park will be open until 8pm on both days. Click here for event details.

Sea World is also planning on opening tomorrow according to their website. Their website also states that their operating hours on Friday will be 10am to 5pm, Saturday 10am to 6pm, and Sunday 10am to 6pm.

The Wild Animal Park will open again once the road to the park is cleared by the fire and police departments to be safe. Though according to the San Diego Emergency Center website, the road appears to be open now. I know the employees of that park were there doing cleanup and had to show IDs to get past the road closures today, and were told the park should open again tomorrow. While there, I strongly suggest you go on the Journey into Africa tour.

I hope you have fun down here in San Diego. Let us all know how your trip was when it's all over!

Ok, we're back from SD and we had a great time. I checked with my hotel before check-in to see if I should cancel my reservations to make room for evacuees, they said I didn't and that they actually weren't filled to capacity. They had vacancies the whole week we were there.

SW and Legoland were great. I've read a bunch of message boards and a lot of San Diegans seemed angry that tourists would be asking whether or not they should come down there during the fires or that the Chargers ended up playing at Qualcomm. Hey, one way we can help y'all down there is to pump some dollars into your local economies. SW was closed for how many days? They lost all that revenue. The best thing for those animals was for tourists to come in and visit them.

DL Steve- which projects did you work on for Legoland? What an amazing place!

• Circle of Ancients

^ I agree with you.

The WORST thing right now is for people to NOT go to San Diego. It's a touristy place and it's an absolutely awesome time of year to go down there. The weather is great.

I know I speak for lots of businesses in the area ... go to SD, Sea World, Legoland, Oceanside ... spend your money.

We haven't been planning a SD trip, but now I think we may in the near future. I miss Sea World (haven't been in almost 2 years) and am itching to go back.