Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Phantom E-Ticket

Re: Six Flags MM announces new attraction lineup for '08 season

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Actually, I thought Flashback had just been listed for sale. If so, then that area is certainly available.

However, I do remember a time when there was a train that ran across the back of the park, back in the Spillikan Corners/Troll days. Anyone else remember that?
    Hi Jester, I have fond memories of that train (not so fond memories of Spilikan Corners) My grandparents took me and my brother to Magic Mountain the first week of June 1971, the park was about a week old. I've been going ever since, less since it got funky the last 15 years.

Here is the train from a post card series, early 70's:

BTW, I want the METRO BACK!!!! What could it cost to bring it back in service? It's all there, you can see it on google earth, the cars, the track, the stations, the service building, all still intact.

Early Metro pic: (I want the Grand Prix cars back too!):

Hey, this is my first post to micechat, I've finally come out of the shadows..!!! LOL!

• Circle of Ancients

Welcome matt91304.

There were actually rumors that the Metro was coming back in 2008. But I'm assuming since it wasn't announced along with Thomas and X2 that it's either not happening or has been delayed.

Could have something to do with the fact that the company that made the trains (and therefore the parts) is no longer in business. Could have something else to do with the fact the tracks have not been used in how many years now? I'm sure getting the metro back up and running cost more than a new coaster.

As for the train and Spillikin Corners... well, I remember the Corner, but not the train so much. My first memory of the park is riding the Mountain Express. Well, I don't remember it, but I've seen pictures of me riding it. LOL. Don't recall how old I was. My earliest memory (that I can remember) is Sarajevo Bobsleds.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    I got a thing in email for $60 for a 2008 pass AND the remainder of 2007 is included. I'm seriously considering going this Sunday, since it seems like a REALLY good deal.
    We didn't get SFMM passes this year (first time I haven't had a SFMM pass in about 17 or 18 years). I think we are getting passes next year, but also because we are planning on visiting some other Six Flags parks.

One thing I didn't notice from the flyer was whether they still offer the $25 Hurricane Harbor add-on pass.

Also, I would HIGHLY suggest getting the XTREME pass. Not only does it include free parking ($15 per visit) but also 4 flash-passes each visit. It will be worth the extra $$.

Flashback is indeed for sale, but I don't believe that's the home of the new Thomas train. From what I've heard, it's going on the other side of BBW, continuing on the path towards Buccaneer, etc. For those of you that go WAY back, it would be the former location of the Little Sailor Ride.

The train that Matt91304 so beautifully posted was the regular one which had a station in Spillikin Corners with a good view of the Jet Stream. But there was also a separate "Train to Trollywood" which was closed first.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Phantom E-Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Welcome matt91304.

There were actually rumors that the Metro was coming back in 2008. But I'm assuming since it wasn't announced along with Thomas and X2 that it's either not happening or has been delayed.

Could have something to do with the fact that the company that made the trains (and therefore the parts) is no longer in business. Could have something else to do with the fact the tracks have not been used in how many years now? I'm sure getting the metro back up and running cost more than a new coaster.

As for the train and Spillikin Corners... well, I remember the Corner, but not the train so much. My first memory of the park is riding the Mountain Express. Well, I don't remember it, but I've seen pictures of me riding it. LOL. Don't recall how old I was. My earliest memory (that I can remember) is Sarajevo Bobsleds.
    Thanks for the Nice Welcome Sir Clinksalot....

I heard the same information that the Metro's manufacturer is long out of business and I also thought it would be hard to bring the metro back due to this. However, I hear Six Flags Over Georgia has the same ride system (From 67 I think) and it's still in use today! They must fabricate the parts they need. As far as the track, it still looks pretty good; the electric rails are still up there and look ok too. I guess I am a bit of dreamer here... Hey I also want the People Mover back, but I am NOT ready to jump in that shark tank of a thread!

Of course then there is this I found on the net:

“(10/4/07) An announcement about future projects from Six Flags has confirmed that Thomas Town is coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2008. However, the project will be the addition of an entire Thomas land and is no longer connected to the revival of the monorail. Screamscape sources have informed us that due to various circumstances, the old Metro monorail will never operate again.” Sad….

The train ("99 Steam Train" or "Troll Train") was at the park from 71 to 81, so since the first visit you remember was on the rare Sarajevo Bobsleds (84 to 86), you probably don't remember seeing the train on earlier visit cause you were so young.

The Mountain Express - WOW, now there a cool little coaster (73 to 81, now the present site of Flashback, future site of?). I have a post card shot of the Mountain Express in it's heyday, I will post it later today. Do you still have your photo? Post it if you can!

• Circle of Ancients

Okay, if the thomas town is going in that area, did they take out the Swiss Twist?

I know it's called Sierra Twist now, but it will always be Swiss to me.

And really, that's still not a very big area.

What I have been told the Metro will no longer run, but It could be replaced with a new monorail.

I found a old map from 1977 showing both of the old railroads and Metro in the park.

http://themepark.sitesbyrob.com/images/mm/map.JPG
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 11-08-2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Hotlinking photo, against MiceChat rules

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Hey! You stole that photo of the map from my friend Rob's website!

http://themeparkmemories.com/index.p...mid=31&catid=3

• Phantom E-Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMoose View Post
    What I have been told the Metro will no longer run, but It could be replaced with a new monorail.

I found a old map from 1977 showing both of the old railroads and Metro in the park.

http://themepark.sitesbyrob.com/images/mm/map.JPG
    Here's an older map, with just the one train.

I guess the '99' Steam train became the "Train to Trollywood" sometime around the addition of Spillikin Corners... Neat stuff!

Oh, and for Sir Clinksalot, here is the Mountain Express at its best:

And just for grins and giggles, here is a great shot of Eagle's Flight with the Gold Rusher looking brand spankin (Spillikin?) new:

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Didn't Discovery Kingdom (Marine World) get a Thomas Town? And as I recall weren't they the first Six Flags park to get one?

...Joe...

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yes they did. I haven't seen pictures of it to see the size. It would be interesting to get some kind of idea of what to expect.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by matt91304 View Post
    Here's an older map, with just the one train.

I guess the '99' Steam train became the "Train to Trollywood" sometime around the addition of Spillikin Corners... Neat stuff!

Oh, and for Sir Clinksalot, here is the Mountain Express at its best:

And just for grins and giggles, here is a great shot of Eagle's Flight with the Gold Rusher looking brand spankin (Spillikin?) new:

Awww, the good times.

Removal of Granny Gran Prix pretty much confirms the Thomas Town location.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1002

• Circle of Ancients

See, this is what pisses me off about SFMM. They say they are 'exanding', but in order to do so they are taking out 5 attractions. (Swiss Twist, Grand Prix, Circus Wheel, Freefall and Spin Out).

If there is anything SFMM CAN'T afford to lose is more flat rides.

Let's just see how much longer it is until those things are replaced.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMoose View Post
    Removal of Granny Gran Prix pretty much confirms the Thomas Town location.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1002
    That's what I said earlier; it would go in the old kids area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast