• Ice melts fast in AZ

Possible Rock Theme Park south of Phoenix

Was reading this on the local news site. Kind of strange fit for Phoenix/Tucson area.

View of the "luxury" hotel. Looks like a monorail or train near the guitar pool.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...rk1107-ON.html

Full park layout picture in story below but it doesn't enlarge.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/101455

Thoughts?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Possible Rock Theme Park south of Phoenix

They have been trying to get a major theme-park in the area for YEARS. So many plans have been made, and nothing ever comes of it.

No offense to these people, but $800 million (including luxury hotels, etc) won't get you ANYTHING close to Disney World or even Busch Gardens.

Did they not hear of a little thing called Hard Rock Park opening up next year?

Plus, I've done that drive from Phoenix to Tucson, there is NOTHING there. It's not an Orlando type area at all.

Of course, eventually I think something major will come to AZ, but to put it out in the middle of nowhere, makes no sense.

Anybody remember Lake Dolores?

Exactly.

• Ice melts fast in AZ

I agree with you. Phoenix has a very odd mix in their population. Most people here don't really support anything that isn't a chain-type of place (unless its trendy in Snobsdale or something). Not to mention I remember about 10 years ago some investors were going to try and open up a Six Flags but that endeavor ended in some shady business practices. I think a theme park may come to the Phoenix area in the future, but I still don't think it will be popular. The only thing that might be popular here is the new Wave Yard water park that is supposed to be going up near ASU main campus. But I guess we'll see.

On a side note, Eloy is a hole in the wall. The nearest place with any sizable population is Casa Grande and I doubt they will have an easy time employing a large quality workforce that it takes to run a good theme park. IMO

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Can you imagine sitting on a roller coaster seat with it being 120 outside?

Unless they decide to enclose the whole damn park, there's no WAY I'd go there between May and October.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, there are LOTS of Rocks here in Phoenix,
    and there is a "Boulders" resort close by . . . . . .

Blog Entries

Plus, I've done that drive from Phoenix to Tucson, there is NOTHING there. It's not an Orlando type area at all.
    I don't think it'll happen, but keep in mind that there was nothing in Orlando when Walt came to town either. Of course, that was Walt Disney World, the worlds largest theme park and who had already gained credibility. This is just some rock themed park.

• Circle of Ancients

The other thing is,

They are saying the heat index in Orlando is comparable to what it is in the Desert. And that may well be.

But the way that the Orlando parks are designed, there is ALOT of inside stuff. There really isn't a "Coaster" park in Orlando. At the Disney parks (maybe with the exception of Animal Kingdom), Universal and Sea World, there are lots of things to do indoors during the hottest parts of the day.

Blog Entries

That's certainly not the case at Animal Kingdom and it seems to be doing ok. That's the reason I don't like DAK though is that there are very few indoor air conditioned things. If they add a few more AC dark rides then I might actually like that park as well.

• Circle of Ancients

But even with AK, they have indoor shows such as Lion King, Nemo and Bugs.

But I'd wager on the hottest days that AK is probably the least visited park due to that very reason.

Which again is why Yak and Yeti is so necessary. Get out of the heat.

• Minion

Well, the visitors to the Federal Prison will have something else to do. Maybe the prison would even be able to offer discount tickets.
    I want my cake back!

• Disney Starved in AZ

I think this is a JOKE!!!!
    Remember Legend City that was open til 1983 between Phoenix and Tempe? That was supposed to be Arizona'a answer to Disneyland... gimme a break!

Who wants to go to a theme park in 118 degree July weather?
    It's bad enough in Anaheim in 98 degrees with 80% humidity! Come on!

And Eloy? The only thing that place is good for is a pit stop on your drive between Tucson and Phoenix! They didn't even deserve the new Starbucks they opened recently!

Here is the website for the proposed park:
    http://www.decadesusa.com/

I'll save my dollars for "Walt's dream" thank you!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Here is what they have to say about the heat issue:

HEAT INDEX
    The heat index combines air temperature with relative humidity to determine an apparent temperature, or how hot it actually feels. In real terms, it can feel hotter at lower temperatures and higher humidity than at higher temperatures and lower humidity.

ORLANDO FORECAST 105 DEGREES
    The busiest time for Orlando’s parks is the summer months of July and August when the Heat Index hits a peak of 105. Disney and other parks in similar climates combat this problem with climate control and indoor queue-lines. DECADES can and will do the same for the Arizona climate.

CLIMATE CONTROL DESIGN
    Great care and consideration will be given to architectural design to shade and shelter patrons during the hottest days of June, July and August. Orientation of structures, shading canopies, misting and climate controlled environments will be combined with water ride attractions and cooling features to provide visitors with ample opportunity to escape the heat.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Is Eloy where the A&W and BK is? If so, what a sty.

• Ice melts fast in AZ

Pinal County is the next frontier for explosive development in central Arizona. The abundance of available land, the rapidly developing transportation corridor, and the imminent merging of the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas combine to create an exciting opportunity for an entertainment district. The ground-breaking for DECADES Music Theme Park will be just the beginning of rapid economic growth for the immediate and broader geographic areas of Pinal and Maricopa counties.
    The next big thing? The imminent merger of Phoenix & Tucson? Yeah, until the water runs out.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Uh-oh it looks like someone must have figured out it is too friggin hot in Eloy before the investors got any tax breaks or bond $.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...6eloypark.html