• Functional & Decorative

USH--Humorless Tour Guides?

USH is really my home park, being only about 2 minutes away. I've taken the Studio Tour about 4-5 times in the last few months. In the past, I remember a time when many the tour guides would sometimes have a "Jungle Cruise"-type mentality/sense of humor during the tour. Granted, not all, but many--and it made the tours a lot of fun for us repeat visitors, and yet continued to be very factual and informative.

Currently, they are seem to be like automatons... very factual, with an occasional canned joke that they skim over as if they are embarassed to even read it. All the tours I've taken recently seemed identical to each other, regardless of who gave it. Their voices hardly even seem to have any inflections! Now, I understand they have a lot of facts to give out... Universal Studios is rich in movie history, and there is a lot of information to give. And I know they are observed at random times by supervisors, so that they keep their tours in line. But what's happened to the occasional humor & personality? Are supervisors nixing it, or what? Or is it just me?

I'll admit that I tend to be riding later in the day, when the guides may be tired, but I would still get some good humor even then in the past. And the Jungle Cruise skippers keep humor up all day somehow. So I don't think it's just that.

If there are any USH tour guides out there that can shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful. Other people's opinions are welcome, too.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: USH--Humorless Tour Guides?

I agree with you. The last few tour guides we have had have been pretty ho-hum, nothing special.

I'm pretty bored with the tour. Time for SOMETHING new. Anything.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

You've probably been subjected to some of the new guides - the most recent crop seems to be having difficulty finding their personality.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

^ I had a feeling that was what it was.

It probably has to do with the heat as well. Bleh.

• C4C6C

Is Mike Sington the one who still picks the guides? If so, he needs to go (imho).

Either way, I last took the tour about 1 year ago and it seemed to me the guides were relying too much on the new video screens and DVDs or whatever they were playing. What was very impersonal was the tour guide wearing his sunglasses the whole time and looking into the camera that showed his face in each car. That definitely takes away from the guide making a "contact" with you.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Banned User

maybe they got promoted to the VIP tour... my VIP guide was great...

• Disney fans for life!

Very true. Blame it on Vivendi. When they took over the Park, they "sterilized" the tram tour. They removed (and destroyed) all of the various props that were scattered throughout the tram routes and "cleaned" up the place. They also put the monitors in the trams (good and bad...) which could be a great addition to the tram experience, but are being used terribly.

They led the Park to its current sad state. It's no wonder that they wanted to sell it. They make stupid changes and then wonder why the attendance drops...As usual, some bean-counter behind a desk makes decisions rather than have someone ask the folks that pay to enjoy the Park, what their opinions are.

Now that NBC has taken over, hopefully someone will notice and make some well deserved changes/improvements. I already like some of the changes...The food special ($19.95/all day) and Fear Factor Live (though I still miss Spiderman Rocks and Beetlejuice as far as that goes). They need to get the other shows up and running again as well as Halloween Horror Nights. Also keep fresh props spread out around the tram tour from recent movies/shows for people to oogle over. It all helps and it does make a difference.

As far as the tram guides go, Matt (Matthew) has been around for a while and is great. When we find out that he is on duty, we wait for his tram. Well worth it. These new guys/gals are like you said, "robots", with no sense of real humor.

• Banned User

The "moniters" where installed when kodak was approched to pay for them.... they are good.. they show you what the stuff came from... and if done right.. you still see the stuff around you..

I went in july and the tour guide lady was really funny one of my favorites.