Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help: San Francisco Earthquake Ride

I need help from those in their 30s and 40s...I've always remembered a ride at Fisherman's Wharf where you'd be on a trolley and "experience" the 1906 earthquake. For the life of me I can't find any reference to it online and have only memories to go off of. I see that something similar existed at Freedomland in the 60's and was then sent to Cedar Point where it operated until 1985, but this has to be different.

Please, anyone with memories of this attraction in Frisco....shed some light??

THANK YOU
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Re: Help: San Francisco Earthquake Ride

I remember it! It was very close to the Ripley's Museum. My brother and I rode that in the very early 80s, maybe '81 or '82 at the latest. I want to say that it was called Earthquake! The Ride, but my memory may be a bit fuzzy.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Grumpy old man

I remember something like that but being at a museum not at the wharf. Might've been the Explortorium or Oakland museum.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

It was at the Wharf! I do remember that much.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Earthquake the ride was at the wharf, I remember riding that when I was very young.

The Steinhart used to have an earthquake simulator too (before it closed for the remodel)

The wharf is missing so much cool cheesy stuff. I really miss the medieval torture dungeon. Even when I was VERY young, that place was totally cheesy.

I know this may not be much help but I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about. I believe the old trolley/earthquake attraction was located very close to Pier 39. I remember seeing it as a child but it was something my parents never took me through. It looked like it was similar to a dark ride where you board the trolley at the entrance, the entrance and ride which was visible from the street, kind of like a carnival ride would. It was either right where the large Pier 39 parking structure currently is or right next to it, heading towards Fisherman's Wharf. Considering its age, I wouldn't expect to find anything about it on the internet. Rare find if anything out there.

• A New Kind Of Villain

It was at the beginning of Pier 39 (2nd floor on the right side when looking down the Pier from the street).

What's sad is last year I went to Pier 39 again after having not been there in years and found it's completely changed.

The Earthquake Ride used to be on top of what is now the Hard Rock Cafe. I vaguely remember the Hard Rock Cafe being an arcade a decade ago...

Goddess I feel so old...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Another part of me

There were two Earthquake rides. One at Fishermans wharf and there used to be an exibit at the Academy of Science and Arts. I am not sure if the Academy still has the exibit, they moved out of Golden Gate park a few years ago.

• Functional & Decorative

Is this the dark-style ride where you rode a slow moving cable car that seated about 4-6 people? I do have memories of that... the little bit I do remember are very basic cutouts illustrating the history of San Fransisco, or something like that. I don't remember the earthquake part, thought.

I also thought that across the street was a torture museum, a horror wax museum like tourist trap. I had wanted to go in as a child, but was too chicken. I'm sure it was actually pretty tame, but to a naive 10 year old, it looked pretty scary.

I also seem to recall that next door to that was a "Haunted Mine" that was mostly a themed funhouse type deal, with mirror maze and a few mechanical monsters lurching out at you. I think you began the ride by taking an elevator ride "down to the mine"?

Does anyone else remember any of this stuff, or is it just me? In any case, I wish I had some pictures!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Mouse View Post
    There were two Earthquake rides. One at Fishermans wharf and there used to be an exibit at the Academy of Science and Arts. I am not sure if the Academy still has the exibit, they moved out of Golden Gate park a few years ago.
    The move was temporary! it re-opens in the fall. I am looking forward to it greatly, it looks like it is gonna be awesome!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I also thought that across the street was a torture museum, a horror wax museum like tourist trap. I had wanted to go in as a child, but was too chicken. I'm sure it was actually pretty tame, but to a naive 10 year old, it looked pretty scary.

I also seem to recall that next door to that was a "Haunted Mine" that was mostly a themed funhouse type deal, with mirror maze and a few mechanical monsters lurching out at you. I think you began the ride by taking an elevator ride "down to the mine"?
    The Haunted Mine, was that the one that had the upside room, or crooked room? I remember that and the part where the "elevator" shook so bad when you were on it. That's back when Fisherman's Wharf had cheesy charm It's mostly crappy shops now, so sad.

Sadako, I think that you're thinking of the simulator ride that was in the arcade area in Pier 39, really old skool. Simulator. The ride the OP is talking about was on Fisherman's Wharf.

Pier 39 is a shell of what it used to be I miss the old Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Yep, I'm 99% sure this ride was in the Wharf area itself, not on Pier 39. It was a traditional style dark ride on a track - can't remember if the vehicles were more Fantasyland-like or bigger trolley-looking things. It definitely would've been located very close to this "torture museum" or wax museum with macabre stuff that JesterMn mentions, because I distinctly do remember passing the entrance of that at age 6 (so, 1977) and there was this head in a crystal ball, very similar to Madame Leota, with a loop of dialogue enticing customers to come in. I remember being scared to death of her, because in her loop she would scrunch up her teeth and make a hissing sound (hard to explain). Apparently it was effective since I still remember it to this day!

But most of all, I want to know if any of these elements exist today - either in private collections, or moved to other areas. Oh, and original addresses of these facilities would be cool, so we can see what's there today.

Alright...it appears that this was all part of the "Wax Museum Complex" on Jefferson St, which was torn down in 1999 and rebuilt for a new wax museum. On this video at the 5:00 point is a ride that was included in the building. It's not what I remember, but I'm thinking that perhaps the earthquake ride was converted to this, or that there were two rides. At any rate, there appear to have been several curiosities in this "complex" including the aforementioned torture chamber type stuff. I wanna go back!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=62gJtTUYf5U

Red Face Re: Help: San Francisco Earthquake Ride

That video at the 5 minute point is the trolly attraction. However, that attraction was not located in the museum, but outside along the streets of the wharf. I've also been to the old haunted mine attraction, which has now been turned into the Rainforest Cafe (along with the torture museum). The haunted mine was all located on the second floor of the building with a fake elevator that was suppose to simulate riding down to the mine to start your experience. What is funny is when I went there, they had this new "open" floor policy so you didn't have to follow a set path. In its early days, I can imagine that taking that elevator was the very first thing you did before walking through the maze. However, the open policy just allowed you to walk through the place with no direction. Me and my friends decided to save the elevator for last because we thought it would take us to another floor of the attraction (we didn't know there was only one floor at the time). We got into the elevator at the end, pushed the button, the doors closed, and then the room started shaking. It was at this time I realized we weren't going anywhere so I yelled out that we were probably going to be frightened by a scene when the doors opened up. We all started the scream as the second set of doors started opening, but there was nothing there. We walked out and discovered that we were just on the other side of the wall (which no longer existed) from where we entered. Boy, did we feel silly.

• Banned User

I went in the Haunted Mine when I was a kid on vacation in San Francisco with my family. Man I loved it. I rode the elevator and was totally fooled. I really thought it was going to another floor from the way it shook around and was surprised when I got out and was staring at the same people who were in the line behind me. Ha ha.

There was also a tromp loeil involving a bar of gold on the other side of a cage and you could fit you hand in to try and steal it, only to discover it was a mirror and the gold was just a projection. Good times.

Took my dad to the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum a couple of years ago at the pier. Loved it. Filled with tons of curious and a couple of tricks as well. Also the column first started in San Francisco so there is a Bay Area connection that makes the museum appropriate to the Pier. Wish the Haunted Mine was still there though.

- Anatole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast