Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: USH- Property Licenses Question

Quote Originally Posted by ekester View Post
    My bad. I missed that. But I consider Star Wars a Fox film and Indy a Paramount film, not Lucas. But that gets into producer/distributor discussions which add even more complexity... so... moving on.
    I think they are all Lucafilms. Fox and Paramount are just the distributor and that is all. Disney could release Star Wars if Lucas want them too.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    I think they are all Lucafilms. Fox and Paramount are just the distributor and that is all. Disney could release Star Wars if Lucas want them too.

You are correct. They're all Lucasfilm films but with the distribution done by those other studios. But in the case of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, I couldn't possibly see those movies without the 20th Century Fox fanfare or the Paramount mountain transitioning into the opening of an Indy movie.

But at least with Lucas, he has long been a fan of Disneyland and loves it. So it only makes sense that he partners with Disney to bring his films to life. He's often compared his star wars films (the originals) as Disney movies.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Distribution is pretty important. Major studios no longer produce most of the films they distribute. The majority of them are handled by separate production companies. Saying Star Wars doesn't belong to Fox or Indy doesn't belong to Paramount is like saying any number of other films don't belong under their respective banners. This logic throws a wrench into the topic at hand, Universal's brand name. Although Universal actually produces more of their films than a lot of other studios do.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 01-20-2008 at 07:08 PM.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Distribution is pretty important. Major studios no longer produce most of the films they distribute. The majority of them are handled by separate production companies. Saying Star Wars doesn't belong to Fox or Indy doesn't belong to Paramount is like saying any number of other films don't belong under their respective banners.
    Eh...

When Pixar first started with feature films, Pixar Animation made the film while Disney distributed. Same with Vanguard Animation's "Valiant" and C.O.R.E. Feature Animation's "The Wild". But as we all know, Pixar was probably going to have a different distributor before Disney bought them entirely.

Universal distributed "Hulk" but Marvel owns the character. Sony/Columbia distributed "Spider-Man", but Marvel owns the character. BUT... as you may have noticed before, Universal didn't have the Spider-Man and Green Goblin movie version in the parks. Because the deal was only through Marvel, not Sony...

So to me, this is as big of an "iffy" subject as talking about copyrights...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator

Distribution is pretty important. Major studios no longer produce most of the films they distribute. The majority of them are handled by separate production companies. Saying Star Wars doesn't belong to Fox or Indy doesn't belong to Paramount is like saying any number of other films don't belong under their respective banners. This logic throws a wrench into the topic at hand, Universal's brand name. Although Universal actually produces more of their films than a lot of other studios do.

Distribution IS important but it's certainly getting cloudier and cloudier these days. I remember the days when a movie was released with ONE banner in the front. Now we get movies with two, three, sometimes FOUR production companies attached. It's pretty crazy.

• ...TWO BITS!

I'm not sure if this was discussed:

The POTC films has the license belong to Disney & characters, etc that were created just for the film belongs to Jerry Bruckheimer. (According to the situation with Disney wanting The Black Pearl in the attraction updates). Jerry also has a hand in "National Treasure" in such Nicholas Cage has expressed feelings toward wanting a theme park attraction based on the films. But then I hear AT&T actually owns the POTC ride in the Disney resorts...

So yes, Coheteboy. It is quite cloudy

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

I just watched a TV broadcast of "The Mask" with Jim Carrey. I think it'd be cool to have a "Mask" walkaround character. In the daytime performs a version of that swinging number with Cameron Diaz in the club in his trademark yellow suit. In the nighttime, performs a version of "Cuban Pete". Maybe also with 2 spotlights from the rooftops and dancers who pose as regular park guests but start dancing with the Mask.

Dark Horse Entertainment/Comics own the character. And New Line Cinema made the movie. The same company behind "Lord of the Rings" movies.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Nickeoldean Blast Zone & Lucy Tribute seem to be missing from the offical website.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

How is it that Universal is losing Lucy, Nickelodeon(sp?), Marvel, Ghostbusters, Van Helsing, etc...in practically within a 5 year period but still manage to keep Beetlejuice around??

ALSO, will the Lucy character be leaving the parks along with the tribute? I think USF is still keeping theirs.

-Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator

I really couldn't answer that.

How is it that Universal is losing Lucy, Nickelodeon(sp?), Marvel, Ghostbusters, Van Helsing, etc...
    Van Helsing is a Universal property. They can't lose it. I'm pretty sure those characters are in public domain anyway.

As for Beetlejuice's continued presence at USH, the deal they must renew to keep his show going at the other Universal parks probably carries over.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 02-12-2008 at 12:55 AM.

• Freakster

Van Helsing is a Universal property. They can't lose it. I'm pretty sure those characters are in public domain anyway.
    The characters may be, but not the representation of the characters in the way they were portrayed in the film. The director may have rights tied to that.

Not that Van Helsing is worth a lot of discussion, anyway.

I meant the characters in general. Universal obviously owns the rights to their own version.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You are correct. They're all Lucasfilm films but with the distribution done by those other studios. But in the case of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, I couldn't possibly see those movies without the 20th Century Fox fanfare or the Paramount mountain transitioning into the opening of an Indy movie.

But at least with Lucas, he has long been a fan of Disneyland and loves it. So it only makes sense that he partners with Disney to bring his films to life. He's often compared his star wars films (the originals) as Disney movies.
    20th Century Fox/Paramount may have distrubuted them, but they are Lucasfilm films and those companies have absolutely no say in how Lucas decides to use the characters.

None.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    But then I hear AT&T actually owns the POTC ride in the Disney resorts...
    SO not true. Why would AT&T own POTC? AT&T was a sponsor of a Disney ride in the past, but it was Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    How is it that Universal is losing Lucy, Nickelodeon(sp?), Marvel, Ghostbusters, Van Helsing, etc...in practically within a 5 year period but still manage to keep Beetlejuice around??

ALSO, will the Lucy character be leaving the parks along with the tribute? I think USF is still keeping theirs.
    As for Beetlejuice, one of the prouducers helped out with the Universal parks that why he is there. For the most part, Beetlejuice is the WB.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast