Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Freakster

Re: USH- Property Licenses Question

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    I meant the characters in general. Universal obviously owns the rights to their own version.
    Not necessarily - a director can own those rights (or control aspects of those rights) if they negotiate it into their deal. Not uncommon these days.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    SO not true. Why would AT&T own POTC? AT&T was a sponsor of a Disney ride in the past, but it was Indy.
    My thoughts exactly. I didn't believe in that either.

There's been confusion about Van Helsing & Zorro rights before. I guess you could compare these to Marvel & Lucasfilm. Even though Van Helsing, Zorro, Marvel characters, & Lucasfilm characters are licensed out for film, TV, & theme parks, the rights are still retained by their original owners. And also depends on what the terms of the contract would be...

I was "curious" about the Curious George copyrights. According to the greatest site source, wikipedia, Universal bought the rights from Houghton Mifflin Company. So technically, Universal really does own him... right? And around 2001, tried to make him the new mascot of Universal trying to push Woody off his nest.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 02-14-2008 at 09:56 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I didn't believe in that either.

There's been confusion about Van Helsing & Zorro rights before. I guess you could compare these to Marvel & Lucasfilm. Even though Van Helsing, Zorro, Marvel characters, & Lucasfilm characters are licensed out for film, TV, & theme parks, the rights are still retained by their original owners. And also depends on what the terms of the contract would be...

I was "curious" about the Curious George copyrights. According to the greatest site source, wikipedia, Universal bought the rights from Houghton Mifflin Company. So technically, Universal really does own him... right? And around 2001, tried to make him the new mascot of Universal trying to push Woody off his nest.

Yes, Curious George is a apart of the NBC Universal Family. As for Van Helsing, It is a Universal movie so it belong to them.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Yes, Curious George is a apart of the NBC Universal Family. As for Van Helsing, It is a Universal movie so it belong to them.
    But what about Disney's Zorro & Winnie the Pooh characters? There was that major rights issue that went to court about Disney & Pooh. There was a Zorro clip in the "first 50 magical years" movie at the opera house. Zorro was in a Disney Sing Along video I had. There were reruns on the Disney Channel before they stopped that. Then Zorro was licensed to TriStar Pictures.

Maybe the Van Helsing character was just dropped by Universal on their own... who knows.

From wikipedia, the "Abraham" name change to "Gabriel" was done to have a better action hero name and for Universal to have copyright priviledges... whatever that means. The film had negative reviews, but was profitable. Has a small cult following.

Personally, I liked the movie for its popcorn flare & Alan Silvestri's music . It was better than "League of Extrordinary Gentlemen", that's for sure. LXG had potential, but overall was not good.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123