Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York City

• For You!

New York City

I'm planning my first trip - just a question...Is it really better to stay in Times Square? My mother seems to think that it will be worth the extra $150 a night to stay there rather than somewhere a few blocks away.

Any thoughts? Any other advice or tips?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Re: New York City

I vote for the splurge Jen! I mean, how often are you in NYC?!?!?!?
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

On our vacation, we stayed at the Hyatt attached to Grand Central Terminal on 42nd. I loved it and felt it was centrally located to just about everything.

We were able to walk to Times Square and once we were familiar with the subway system, we traveled all over Manhattan.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Times Square is fairly central. It's on the edge of the theatre district and very commercial--making it a tourist mecca. It is also not far from Grand Central and Penn Stations. You'll be in the thick of things, and you'll find yourself tons of stuff to do! There's an MTV store (kinda small, but fun) and a Hershey store as well.

The Disney store is over on Fifth Ave, I believe. I suppose I could look it up!

Hit the treadmill, however, before you go. You'll walk just as much as you do at a Disney Park. Be ready for it.

Splurge! I think, if this is your first time for a visit, go for it.

Just promise me one thing...you won't eat at the Olive Garden Times Square. NYC has some of the best food you've ever imagined, ever. Think outside the box. Ask people to recommend restaurants. But don't go there--you probably have one near your home anyhows!

Peace and enjoy!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• World Traveler

It really depends on you. If you are going to be seeing a lot of the shows, then yeah, I'd stay in Times Square. Otherwise, there are lots of hotels in the area that are still within walking distance. I also stayed at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station last time and it wasn't a bad walk up 42nd Street to Times Square.

• For You!

I plan on walking a lot - would it be realistic to want to take my rollerblades and take a trip through Central Park?

Blog Entries

I personally like staying on the Upper West Side. It is near Central Park and a wonderful neighborhood to be in. It felt more "Manhattan" to me than Times Square.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Rollerblading around Central Park on a sunny day sounds like a total blast Jen! Don't have to bring your own blades, you can rent them! (just google 'rent roller blades in Central Park' and a bunch of options will pop up! am totally living vicariously thru you, I'm just dying to take the family there!!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Take me with you Jen!

When my husband and I went last year we stayed near JKF because we only had one night and we had to leave the next morning. But we are looking into going again and staying in the city. (There is a military hotel we can stay at. I don't know if that would apply to you.) I think it would be wonderful to stay in the thick of things. Go for it! And don't forget to tell us all about it!

• Hiding in the shadows

If you can I would totally splurge, you will find yourself spending a lot of time there anyway so why not stay there and avoid all the transport time. Rollerblading through Central Park is a great idea, but I agree with others on just renting some there. Its a long way to lug a pair of skate for just a couple hours use.

A little piece of heaven

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I am not sure it is necessary to stay exactly in Time Square. Anywhere in midtown would be fine. You would still be central to everything, including the entrance to the park. Walking is key in NYC- you will walk, alot, so plan accordingly. Use the trains to get around. I would get a train map and check out the locations of the things you want to see and map it out using the subway system- this way you know ahead of time where you need to go. http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• no flash photography...

The subways and busses will take you everywhere you want to go. They are very easy to use and figure out. I stayed in an apartment on central park south and had no issues traveling all around manhatten.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Oh yeah - one more thing. If you are walking down the block, especially a busy street, like lets say 7th ave and 45th street. You are a bit unsure if you are going in the right direction and need to consult your map or notes or look around, don't just stop in the middle of the sidewalk. Move over and look. Same concept you would (hopefully) use in DL.
    Thanks
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• For You!

Thanks for the tips!

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

You'll have to share your trip experience when you get back. I plan on going in September! Can't wait!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast