• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

New Gettysburg Nat'l. Military Park Museum & Visitor Center to open 4/14

New Museum and Visitor Center
    to Open at Gettysburg National Military Park

Museum Centerpiece of Rejuvenation Efforts
    at Landmark Civil War Battlefield Site

GETTYSBURG, Pa., Feb. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- A new museum dedicated to the history of the Battle of Gettysburg in the context of the Civil War will open April 14, 2008, at Gettysburg National Military Park. A joint project of the Gettysburg Foundation and the National Park Service, the museum will join together artifacts, hands-on exhibits, multimedia technology, and archival materials for an interactive, enriching experience that will excite visitors of all ages and instill a deeper understanding of the Civil War, its causes and consequences. The new Museum and Visitor Center is part of a $125 million fundraising campaign to preserve the historic integrity of Gettysburg.

"Gettysburg is the place where America was saved. In his Gettysburg Address, Abraham Lincoln called for a 'new birth of freedom'," said Robert C. Wilburn, president and CEO of the Gettysburg Foundation. "Gettysburg has become our country's common ground -- a reminder that we can come together as a nation, even after the most divisive of conflicts. We want this new Gettysburg experience to inspire visitors about the past, to encourage them to want to learn more about the events that have shaped our country and, in the process, to become better citizens."

The new Museum and Visitor Center will inspire visitors to learn more about the Battlefield and the town's significance in American history and to connect the battle to their lives today. The $103 million facility will preserve the National Park Service's extensive collection of artifacts, objects and archival materials for future generations. It is located adjacent to the Battlefield, on land that saw no major battle action, and has been designed to meet silver-level certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) as determined by the U.S. Green Building Council.

"The new museum will better prepare visitors to walk the sacred ground of the Gettysburg Battlefield and see it through the soldier's eyes," said John Latschar, superintendent of Gettysburg National Military Park.

The 139,000 square-foot Museum and Visitor Center brings to life the Battle of Gettysburg -- and the entire Civil War era -- with:
    http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainm...0022008-1.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Huh?

Re: New Gettysburg Nat'l. Military Park Museum & Visitor Center to open 4/14

This is good news... that electric map was not exactly worth the price of admission.

I love the town, though. I love those old buildings...
    -Tim

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I loved the electric map, although the museum definitely needed to be bigger.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I loved the electric map, although the museum definitely needed to be bigger.
    Me too!!!

I'm so drawn to this place. Been twice, could go again in a heartbeat. I swear I was there in a past life in 1863.

• Huh?

The electrical map was a decent idea, but just didn't think it was worth the extra admission... the big thing is, I just would love to see it have an update. I wonder if that was part of the new museum.
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

It is easily one of the most emotional and touching places you'll ever visit in America.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Yah that map was seriously outdated. I loved the rest of the visitors center though. Did anyone else notice though that the calvery battlefield (located NE of the town of Gettysburg) was left out of the battlefield tour and from the map? Hopefully they'll mention it in the new museum / visitors center.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    It is easily one of the most emotional and touching places you'll ever visit in America.

Totally. (and if you're into this sort of thing... the most haunted as well)

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Hard to believe that it isn't.

These people people make money off of all the pain, suffering and ultimate sacrifice focused there:

http://www.hauntedgettysburgtours.com/

and they give you a lucky amulet.

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Yep. When I was there about 5 years ago, 2 of my friends took one of the 'haunted' walking tours around the town. They paid about $20 each, walked about a mile, and was told at various locations some local folklore of the town which had no historical fact in it at all.

While they were doing this, I was with a paranormal team out on Sach's Bridge on the western side of the battlefield. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a old new england style covered bridge that was around during the battle. The confederates used its wooden rafters to hang deserters from, and after Pickets Charge, it was the main bridge that the confederates used to transport the wounded and dying. There was also a mass confederate gravesite near the bridge as well. Since the bridge does not lie in the national park, it isn't bound by the 10pm curfew that the park enforces, so you can be there all night if you'd like.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I miss the observation tower. Yes I know that the tower was seen by many as an eyesore but I loved the tower because it grave a great viewpoint for visualizing the battlespace. I spent two days up there with a timeline and the West Point campaign atlas and ended up with a pretty good understanding of the overall battle.

To me that experience helps immensely when trying to better understand the small unit accounts of the battle. And it is a great help when walking the battlefield.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.